Juneau. AK - Sled Dogs - Celeb. JU54 or JU57

KikisDad

We are on the Solstice on 9/6/13. They offer two almost identical sounding trips; "Dog Sled Summer Camp" and "Alaska Sled Dogs & Musher's Camp"

They are both 2.25 hours, both are on wheeled sleds and both get puppy time. Does anyone know the differences and can recommend one?

Thanks!

I made the mistake of visiting an Iditarod musher's kennel. I got Salmonella from the dogs. I have never been as sick. It ruined my vacation.

That's awful -

How can I protect myself from getting Salmonella?

Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water right after touching animals, their food (e.g., dry dog or cat food, frozen feeder rodents, etc.) or treats (e.g., rawhide bones, pig ears, biscuits, etc.) or anything in the area where they live and roam.

Running water and soap are best. Use hand sanitizers if running water and soap are not available. Be sure to wash your hands with soap and water as soon as a sink is available. Adults should always supervise hand washing for young children.

and maybe you didn't get it from the dogs? They don't usually carry it....it is a food borne illness...and washing hands does protect you...and BTW, it should not be treated unless you are very, very young or elderly or have an immune problem....and yes, I am a medical provider...:)

There's no doubt that I got Salmonella from the sled dogs in the kennel. I found a study on the internet which shows that 69 % of Iditarod sled dogs have Salmonella. So that confirms what the doc told me. He said the dogs shed Salmonella.

Archived