Tundra Wilderness Tour vs Eielson vs Kantishna Shuttle

tamsocal

Traveling are myself and 3 DS- (9,5,5)

They are used to traveling, used to long boat rides, long plane rides, etc. but not sure what I should do for our denali bus ride- will have to bring booster seats on any of the options for 2 of them- not a big deal, will have them for rental car too)

Did Fish Creek many years ago with the 9 yo- then ~2.5yrs. He had a great time & was well behaved- had to sit in car seat on the shuttle bus.

We have a TWT included with our cruisetour. (DH & I said after our princess cruisetour many years ago- next time we can easily do this on our own-- which is true but since I am traveling without DH- opted for a cruisetour AGAIN!)

I am wondering if I should just go on the TWT with the kids or change to Eielson or Kantishna? $47 for all 4 of us or $60 for all 4 of us to the end of the road. the $300 wont be refunded but it will only cost us $60 since the 3 kids are free.

Can someone assist with the length of the tours? do I have below correct (approximately?)

TWT ~8 hours

Eielson ~ 9 hours

Kantishna ~13 hours

If I pick Kantishna but decide at Eielson that we are done- we can get on any bus going back correct? for $13 to have the flexibility was thinking probably worth it?

trip will be late July-- if we do TWT- we will have one entire day to make plans on our own in Denali (arrive ~noon then 2 night stay & late afternoon train to fairbanks- so nearly 48hrs it appears in denali.

we could technically do TWT and shuttle bus the following day but I think one bus ride for the kids will be enough & they would probably like to do some other things.

the 9 hrs to Eielson does not account for getting off the shuttle bus correct?

I have found 5 year olds not to be that "interested" in these distances into Denali. So, you may be better off with sticking with what you have already paid for. I would NOT be spending more money, frankly. Kantishna is most all private property, it is NOT the shuttle bus usually taken, but the TOUR bus, which you haven't looked at, since you don't mention that price? Wonder Lake is a better option, for older visitors, many times grueling for kids, since most often the wildlife drops off significantly.

I suggest you take a look at the details listed on the web site and a look at the map. Since you have already been there, you already should know, basically what to expect. You are OK, being all alone with everyone, if you get off any shuttle buses? http://www.nps.gov/dena ALL the list times, are transit times and you need to add additional, IF you get off the bus.

I have found 5 year olds not to be that "interested" in these distances into Denali. So, you may be better off with sticking with what you have already paid for. I would NOT be spending more money, frankly. Kantishna is most all private property, it is NOT the shuttle bus usually taken, but the TOUR bus, which you haven't looked at, since you don't mention that price? Wonder Lake is a better option, for older visitors, many times grueling for kids, since most often the wildlife drops off significantly.

I suggest you take a look at the details listed on the web site and a look at the map. Since you have already been there, you already should know, basically what to expect. You are OK, being all alone with everyone, if you get off any shuttle buses? http://www.nps.gov/dena ALL the list times, are transit times and you need to add additional, IF you get off the bus.

what mile marker does wildlife sightings typically drop off significantly?

what are the major things we will miss out on if we only go to 53 vs 66? or further to WOnder Lake?

If we get off the shuttle we would not venture too far off the road on trails.

We probably would mostly stay on shuttle

If I book shuttle vs TWT what would you recommend? Eielson or WOnder? I am guessing Eielson? was thinking about just making a reservation so I can ponder-- biggest loss is $4 if I cancel or $38 if I dont decide within 24hrs?

Also thinking the kids will still enjoy TWT and why not just do that since it is included and we have a lot of long tours planned and I dont need 3 grumpy kids. But I know they would easily sit and play nintendo on the bus for 6-8 hours straight so I dont have to worry about them disrupting fellow bus mates

what mile marker does wildlife sightings typically drop off significantly?

what are the major things we will miss out on if we only go to 53 vs 66? or further to WOnder Lake?

If we get off the shuttle we would not venture too far off the road on trails.

We probably would mostly stay on shuttle

If I book shuttle vs TWT what would you recommend? Eielson or WOnder? I am guessing Eielson? was thinking about just making a reservation so I can ponder-- biggest loss is $4 if I cancel or $38 if I dont decide within 24hrs?

Also thinking the kids will still enjoy TWT and why not just do that since it is included and we have a lot of long tours planned and I dont need 3 grumpy kids. But I know they would easily sit and play nintendo on the bus for 6-8 hours straight so I dont have to worry about them disrupting fellow bus mates

There is a wildlife drop off past Eielson. You do not want to consider skipping to mile 66, between 53 and 66 is significant bear country. There are NO trails, with your thinking of "getting off a bus" along the Park Road.

Not sure of what your thinking, your kids would enjoy the TWT? Maybe, looking at the TV wildlife would be a highlight, but most of this trip is scenery. These buses are also full, with their "game" playing, be certain to have triple the batteries, and headphones.

Frankly- your "disrupting" confidence may not be reality. Be well prepared.

Eielson is far enough with a 5 year old, and way too far, for some.

We found on a few of our bus tours that drivers often don't have a lot of patience with ANYBODY sitting behind them and talking. Two different tour drivers berated passengers that were talking during their spiels. One was a daughter translating for her mother and another was a typical 10 yr. old talking to a parent. So, I'd recommend you be safe and sit a bit back so your little ones can be normal kids and not feel squashed. Other drivers were fine, but I wouldn't take a chance myself after those experiences.

• 1 month later...
There is a wildlife drop off past Eielson. You do not want to consider skipping to mile 66, between 53 and 66 is significant bear country. There are NO trails, with your thinking of "getting off a bus" along the Park Road.

Not sure of what your thinking, your kids would enjoy the TWT? Maybe, looking at the TV wildlife would be a highlight, but most of this trip is scenery. These buses are also full, with their "game" playing, be certain to have triple the batteries, and headphones.

Frankly- your "disrupting" confidence may not be reality. Be well prepared.

Eielson is far enough with a 5 year old, and way too far, for some.

We have put off booking a tour for the Tundra Wilderness Tour, but are taking the bus/train ride to the Yukon in Skagway. Should we still pursue tyring to get a tour in Denali?

We have put off booking a tour for the Tundra Wilderness Tour, but are taking the bus/train ride to the Yukon in Skagway. Should we still pursue tyring to get a tour in Denali?

For independent visitors, I never recommend the 3/4 times cost Tundra Wilderness tour, only the further getting shuttle buses.

These are two totally different experiences. IF you want wildlife, yes Denali is the bargain of Alaska. Your Skagway tour isn't about wildlife, and has different scenery.

It's up to you, what direction, you wish to go.

Archived