RCCL cridt card...APR reduction!!

I just called to inquire about getting a chip in my RCCL credit card.(which they will do) During the conversation the rep inquired why I did not use this card for anything that was not cruise related. I told him the interest rate was way to high. He told me to ask him to to reduce the interest rate! I did! It was reduced to 9.9% effective next billing period.

I always pay the balance off with in 30 days. However, if we would have to use this card for some unforeseen emergency, it would make it a little easier to use!

I just called to inquire about getting a chip in my RCCL credit card.(which they will do) During the conversation the rep inquired why I did not use this card for anything that was not cruise related. I told him the interest rate was way to high. He told me to ask him to to reduce the interest rate! I did! It was reduced to 9.9% effective next billing period.

I always pay the balance off with in 30 days. However, if we would have to use this card for some unforeseen emergency, it would make it a little easier to use!

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize we could get a chip card just by asking. Having a chip type card might be useful in Europe.

One would think that a credit card owed by a company in the travel industry would not charge its users for overseas transactions.

When you get your card with the chip please remember to protect it.

Also keep in mind thevso called chip is still a sign for credit card and not a pin and go card

Doesn't the Royal Caribbean credit card have a foreign transaction fee? That why we don't use it in Europe.

Yes it does. However, for our purposes, we don't have any cards with a chip, and if we find a merchant who won't take our Capital One (no foreign transaction fee) card because it does not have a chip, it's nice to have the option to use the RC card.

Yes it does. However, for our purposes, we don't have any cards with a chip, and if we find a merchant who won't take our Capital One (no foreign transaction fee) card because it does not have a chip, it's nice to have the option to use the RC card.

We've had our new RCI card since last fall when we did the Baltic's and TA. It's actually a chip and sign card. as there is no pin number.

We've had our new RCI card since last fall when we did the Baltic's and TA. It's actually a chip and sign card. as there is no pin number.

Patti, did you call B of A and ask for the chip card, or did it just come as part of the normal renewal?

Silly question---How do you know if your credit card has a chip in it? RCCL replaced my card last fall due to possible fraud.

Patti, did you call B of A and ask for the chip card, or did it just come as part of the normal renewal?

When I called BofA to advise them that we would be on a cruise the subject of a pin and chip card came up because we were traveling to Europe. The rep advised me at that time that the new RCI Visa cards had the chip and asked if we would like the newer cards. Of course I said yes.:p

Silly question---How do you know if your credit card has a chip in it? RCCL replaced my card last fall due to possible fraud.

It's clearly visible on the front of the card. It's a small silver square on the left hand side of the card right under the name Royal Caribbean.

Just got a new Chase Card yesterday and has some feature they call "Blink" which allows just waving the card near the credit card machine to make the charge. It has a logo on the back that looks like the wireless logo on my PC. I wonder if this is another name for the European chip function, or something particular to the US?

When I called BofA to advise them that we would be on a cruise the subject of a pin and chip card came up because we were traveling to Europe. The rep advised me at that time that the new RCI Visa cards had the chip and asked if we would like the newer cards. Of course I said yes.:p

It's clearly visible on the front of the card. It's a small silver square on the left hand side of the card right under the name Royal Caribbean.

Just got a new Chase Card yesterday and has some feature they call "Blink" which allows just waving the card near the credit card machine to make the charge. It has a logo on the back that looks like the wireless logo on my PC. I wonder if this is another name for the European chip function, or something particular to the US?

Thanks Patti and Bob! My card just has the silver hologram box over the last 4 numbers of the credit card. I guess that's not the new one. I'm due to get a new card in October when my current one expires. Maybe I'll get the new one then.

Also has a visa travel card, with no currency conversions, I used it on our last trip, and it is also chipped.

I have never needed a chipped card, any where, but friends traveling in remote areas of Europe, needed a chipped card. It is possible that the local store or restaurant workers did not know how to process a non chipped card.

Thanks Patti and Bob! My card just has the silver hologram box over the last 4 numbers of the credit card. I guess that's not the new one. I'm due to get a new card in October when my current one expires. Maybe I'll get the new one then.

Thanks also Patti. I think I'll call B of A and request the chip card since we are planning to be in Europe this fall.

Please enlighten me, what is the purpose/function of the chip in the credit card?

It's a security measure to help reduce credit card fraud. The chip cards are used extensively in Europe. I've read that there are automated credit card machines in places like train stations that will no longer take cards without a chip.

It's a security measure to help reduce credit card fraud. The chip cards are used extensively in Europe. I've read that there are automated credit card machines in places like train stations that will no longer take cards without a chip.

A few years ago I was traveling by train in France during a train strike. The trains were running but the only way to buy a ticket was from a machine. The machines would not take any of my credit cards because they did not have a chip. I wound up paying cash to someone who used their credit card to buy me a ticket!

I am glad my new RCCL Visa card has a chip!

Bob nailed it. Chip cards are much more secure than non-chipped cards. The standard issue cards used here in the states are fairly easy to replicate and commit fraud with a counterfit card, the chip cards are much more difficult to replicate. Eventually the issuers here in the states will catch up and be more receptive to the new technology, but it will take some time. In most cases it would require any merchant that has a credit card terminal to obtain a new terminal to work with the chips.

When my regular renewal came up, I was sent a card with a chip automatically. I will be calling, however, to inquire about a reduced interest rate!! I protested vehemently when the rate when up several years ago. I'd NEVER made a late payment!! I had a great credit score. But when I looked around, EVERYONE was upping their rates. I could find lower introductory rates, but those were temporary. I think I'm at 12% now. 9.9% sounds better!!

That is not a good rate. I would never use a card with more than a 1% interest rate.

That's absurd! Where do you think you'll find a bank that offers a credit card with a 1% interest rate? A 9.9% rate is quite reasonable when you carry a balance & if you pay in full, it doesn't matter what the rate is.

Please tell, where did you find a CC with a 1% annual interest rate?

That's absurd! Where do you think you'll find a bank that offers a credit card with a 1% interest rate? A 9.9% rate is quite reasonable when you carry a balance & if you pay in full, it doesn't matter what the rate is.

I'm guessing there's some confusion between monthly rates and annual rates.

Our old card had an expiration date of 12/14 . . .but, the new ones with chip just showed up in the mail last week. We did not request them -- nor was it time for renewal . . .

Archived