Dawn Princess - The ship and about it

I found Port Arthur was very interesting, scenic and peaceful. It was beautiful. Apparantly it is notorious as a rough and violent penal colony when the guides said it was quite the opposite. I went into some of the cells and buildings along and even dark unlight areas and did not feel any haunted feeling at all. It was not creepy and had the feel like when you step back in time.

The guide did mention to us that it was close to the anniversary of the massacre when we got there. He said that they do not mention the gunmans name as there are still people there who are sensiteve to it. I did not see where it occured and did not know where the shootings took places. It was not pointed out and apparantly there is a new visitor centre and cafe. I only found out after I left that the area where all the shootings took place was no longer used and is now a memorial but it is not near where tourists go and you would not find it unless you were deliberatly looking for it. He made it clear that they do not mention his name or talk about it. He only felt he had to mention it as it was two days out from the anniversary.

I wouldn't say the site of the cafe where the shooting occurred is "out of the way". If you stand looking straight out at the water and with the main penal buildings on your right, the site is on your left fairly close to the water. It is now a peaceful and moving memorial.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Your photographs are lovely.

I wouldn't say the site of the cafe where the shooting occurred is "out of the way". If you stand looking straight out at the water and with the main penal buildings on your right, the site is on your left fairly close to the water. It is now a peaceful and moving memorial.

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. Your photographs are lovely.

I noticed where it was on the maps after my visit when I labelled the photos. To tell the truth I was heading over in that direction for some photos back at the historic site but for some reason turned away and went somewhere else. However I was not aware that the broadarrow cafe was turned into the memorial. Doing a quick internet search it looks like the whole area has changed as it states there used to be toll booths to enter and now there is a visitor centre with cafe and information centre below. They give you a deck of cards which match up to a convicts name and you go through the time hall exploring what happened to the convict whose card you hold.

Given the amount of time we were there I dont think I would have seen all that I did had I stuck with the group. The harbour cruise sounded nice but it did not stop at the islands and the enclosed boat would have ruined the photo opportunity plus not everyone could be guaranteed a window seat.

I really liked the visit to Port Arthur and it can easily be done in a full day.

Looking at the photos of the so called ghosts they have I immediately thought camera reflections and illusions rather than ghosts. If I tried hard enough I could create ghosts with my camera as I know exactly how a simple bit of light can ruin the image.

Hey. My mother, brother uncle and grand mother where on that cruise. I was considering joining however I just returned from the solstice north Queensland cruise and think work would mind.... In a way I was happy I choose not to go. They had a great time but were very very disappointed with the entertainment. The excuse about it being a extention of the circumnavigation isnt good enough. They sold it as a 5 night cruise to people on board. I would expect proper entertainment. Good news is they are willing to try celebrity now :)

Hey. My mother, brother uncle and grand mother where on that cruise. I was considering joining however I just returned from the solstice north Queensland cruise and think work would mind.... In a way I was happy I choose not to go. They had a great time but were very very disappointed with the entertainment. The excuse about it being a extention of the circumnavigation isnt good enough. They sold it as a 5 night cruise to people on board. I would expect proper entertainment. Good news is they are willing to try celebrity now :)

Totally agree there. When I first saw it I had no idea it was part of a round Australia cruise. About 600 passengers joined in Melbourne. For a cruise advertised on the Princess website there was not one theatre production show and very few guest entertainers. Entertainment was extremely poor.

• 3 weeks later...

You have presented the photos beautifully. Well done. The photos bring back memories of our time on the Sun Princess. I found the staff were constantly working on polishing, painting, maintaining the ship. We enjoyed our cruise.

Sutho Very well done, the photography is exceptional.

Perfect framing and balanced content. Have you been professionally trained.

Have not been on Dawn, but spent 21 Magical days on Sun Princess to South East Asia and loved every minute. Princess is certainly my favourite line.

Sutho, please continue to provide similar insights to you other experiences, I think that they perhaps portray the real you more so than a couple of rather caustic responses on other posts.

Keep up the positive and informative posts on past cruises.:)

Sutho Very well done, the photography is exceptional.

Perfect framing and balanced content. Have you been professionally trained.

Have not been on Dawn, but spent 21 Magical days on Sun Princess to South East Asia and loved every minute. Princess is certainly my favourite line.

Sutho, please continue to provide similar insights to you other experiences, I think that they perhaps portray the real you more so than a couple of rather caustic responses on other posts.

Keep up the positive and informative posts on past cruises.:)

I have had no training, just years of practice and research and patience to wait, take my time. Much of it also depends on camera settings, shutter speed and apeture. With many photos I opt for the right lens and try not to tilt the camera (like when you look up and down with your head) doing that prevents buildings looking like they are falling over. The lens makes more of a difference over the camera but to get excellent quality it pays to have a good camera that at leats lets you change the focal points and metering mode.

I am on the Dawn Princess at the moment, the photos show the ship as it is or probably better than it is. The chairs need a refurb, need cushions in the dining room so we can reach the table! Currently in Phy My Vietnam. So far the cruise has been excellent, the food is very good, the entertainment shows by the singers and dancers are the same as previous years and they have been doing the same ones for at least five years, so I think it is time for new ones. Other entertainers a mixed bag, comedians, one very funny one not so funny. A violinist, apparently brillant but not my taste and a couple of singers one of which was very good. Still have 12 days to go until we get back to Fremantle. Have had lots of port days so far. Have a outside cabin on C deck larger than normal as the area normally taken up by the balcony is in the cabin, meaning bigger drawers in the cupboard and more room the shelves by the TV. Hubby usually won't go unless we have a balcony but he has found he can see just as much from the window and the extra space is extremely useful for storing all the goodies we have been buying.

Our waiters and room steward are brillant and can't do enough to help, really enjoying it and would recommend the ship, as apart from needing to reupholster the chairs everything else is in pretty good shape.

We cruised for 4 weeks in April on Dawn and agree totally that it needs refreshing. The seats in the dining rooms were certainly showing their age and were very saggy. a lot of people were asking for extra cushions. We had a balcony cabin and found that it was very small compared to Princess´newer ships (because the balcony was originally part of the cabin, before it became a balcony). Wardrobe and storage space generally needed upgrading. We also found that the temperatures in the show lounges were too cold, most people took a fleece or similar along with them to the shows. air conditioning in the cabins generally wasn´t up to scratch and couldn´t be fixed, staff were excellent, but having been used to cruising on the American style ships (with the cocktail of the day and Elite pre-dinner lounge, good informative port talks etc) we wouldn´t cruise again on Dawn (although many years ago it was the 1st Princess ship we sailed on)

Sandy in Spain

Archived