Photos help find lost luggage.

pmb1

Last November 27, in a fit of lost luggage paranoia before leaving home for our longest ever (25 days) QM2 cruise, I photographed each of our suitcases before we left home. Well, some were worryingly late in reaching our cabin, but none were lost.

I photographed them all again on December 21 when I put them outside our cabin with their Pink 3 tags for disembarkation pick up. This time one was lost, well not lost really, but misplaced for what seemed forever in the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. When I asked one of the Cunard guys in the baggage area what to do about my lost bag he said that he would help me search for it. "Where?", I asked. "Everywhere", the young man replied. Well the pictures of our bags that I had taken last night were still on my camera so I scrolled through the recent photos to show him my bag. I apologized for taking so long to find it, but he said it was OK and that my other pictures looked good. Ten minutes later, while I was searching in a far corner amongst bags with brown labels, he found mine in with a bunch of bags with red labels.

So, my advice is to photograph every bag before it leaves your custody. Eases paranoia, may actually help in finding a bag, and (worst case) will illustrate your insurance claim.

Thats not a paranonia- I feel the same everytime my luggage vansishes when checking in at the airport- will I see it again. Will it get mixed up- well it never did- but on cruise without luggage- of course all essentials are in my carry on, along with a " first night surviving kit" - but still..! So actually takeing photographs is a great idea- and so easy nowadays! Thanks!

Michael

I did this with my children and I've never lost one yet. :)
My father did this with my mother and hasn't misplaced her either (despite trying for over 60 years ;) ).

(In 2008 I was part of a group of twelve friends (eleven of whom had not been on QM2 before) for a cruise. One of them had a case that could separate into two sections, in order to pack it into a crowded car (four passengers and all their luggage) he took it apart (only one part had a luggage label). On arrival at the QE11 Terminal in Southampton the porters had all the cases out and on a luggage trolley before he could reunite the two sections of his case. When the luggage turned up at his cabin he realised that one section was missing, he asked his steward and gave a description of the missing half (which was quite small and could be easily overlooked), the steward said he would look for it. Within fifteen minutes the steward was back with the missing part of the case :) . The passenger was very impressed with the service from the steward and Cunard).

I like the great idea of photographing luggage :) (I already place details (name, cabin number & telephone number) on a printed card inside my cases (and on small stuck-on labels on the outside) as well as the supplied luggage labels), and I will certainly take pictures after packing next time, thank you for the suggestion :) .

All best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

My father did this with my mother and hasn't misplaced her either (despite trying for over 60 years ;) ).

In 2008 I was part of a group of twelve friends (eleven of whom had not been on QM2 before) for a cruise. One of them had a case that could separate into two sections, in order to pack it into the crowded car he took it apart (only one section had a luggage label). On arrival at the QE11 terminal in Southampton the porters had cases out and on a luggage trolley before he could reunite the two sections of his case.

When the luggage turned up at his cabin he realised that one section was missing, he asked his steward and gave a description of the missing half (which was quite small and could be easily overlooked), the steward said he would look for it. Within fifteen minutes the steward was back with the missing section of the case :) . The passenger was very impressed with the service from the steward and Cunard.

I like the great idea of photographing luggage :) (I already place details (name, cabin number & telephone number) on a printed card inside my cases (and on small stuck-on labels on the outside) as well as the supplied luggage labels), and I will certainly take pictures after packing next time, thank you for the suggestion :) .

All best wishes,

Another good idea, particularly as digital cameras become ever smaller and easier to lose, is to carry a piece of card with your e-mail address and phone number on it (you can add your postal address too if your happy to do so).

Every time you change or reformat or change your memory card, take a photo of your address details as the first image on the card. That way, if your camera is lost, you've got a better than even chance of seeing it again.

J

Every time you change or reformat or change your memory card, take a photo of your address details as the first image on the card. That way, if your camera is lost, you've got a better than even chance of seeing it again. J
Great idea! :) I shall do that from now on, a huge thank you :) . Why didn't I think of that :confused: :o ...

All best wishes,

I just thought of this: how about tagging the luggage with a photo of the owner(s) of the bag. At least, if the bag is picked up erroneously by another person, someone may notice that the picture does not fit the one holding the bag. How about this as an idea.

Won't be used by me, as I only travel with carry on or self handle baggage.

Another good idea, particularly as digital cameras become ever smaller and easier to lose, is to carry a piece of card with your e-mail address and phone number on it (you can add your postal address too if your happy to do so).

Every time you change or reformat or change your memory card, take a photo of your address details as the first image on the card. That way, if your camera is lost, you've got a better than even chance of seeing it again.

J

Or maybe of being burgled when whoever finds/stole the camera realises that you may be away on holiday :D

I just thought of this: how about tagging the luggage with a photo of the owner(s) of the bag.
Good idea, I'll attach a picture of me holding up my cabin number so the bag reaches my cabin... hold on, I've already got some pictures of me somewhere with a number at the bottom... :eek: :D ;)

All best wishes :) .

Edited by pepperrn

It's a good idea to take photos of the luggage, thank you!

Whenever possible (in Dubai, for instance) I follow the trolley with my luggage until it has reached the storage. People were looking at me, laughing, but it was worth it.

:)

Or maybe of being burgled when whoever finds/stole the camera realises that you may be away on holiday :D

Well, there's a risk associated with literally every aspect of our daily lives. And I see where you're coming from with that, but I think that, where cruises are concerned, the balance of risk is very much skewed towards the fact that you are likely to lose your camera (or have it stolen) while you are outside the UK and, ergo, the chances of a putative burglar being able to get to your house before you return are low.

In my case the cost of travel to the UK to carry out the robbery would greatly outweigh the pecuniary advantage that said burglar would gain by nicking my kit. :D:D

J

My wife and I saw our luggage put on the wrong plane once. Luckily it was going to the same city we were. The luggage was waiting for us when we arrived, just at a different carousel. This was Pre 9/11.

Don

A few years ago I witnessed a gentleman in the Brooklyn Terminal searching for his bag. He couldn't remember what colour it was. A picture would have helped. The Cunard reps volunteered to help him but since he couldn't give them a description they couldn't give much assistance.

I do not have a camera so cannot take a photograph, however I do sew a wrap of bright yellow material around all handles. I also place a bright yellow strap around the case, with my name written in big print all around the strap, over and over again.

Tucked and tied under the strap is a plastic tag inside is my itinerary, name etc.

When claiming luggage at the airport, as soon as my cases come through the flap, they can be seen. They are also easy to spot at the terminal.

I do not have a camera so cannot take a photograph, however I do sew a wrap of bright yellow material around all handles. I also place a bright yellow strap around the case, with my name written in big print all around the strap, over and over again.

Tucked and tied under the strap is a plastic tag inside is my itinerary, name etc.

When claiming luggage at the airport, as soon as my cases come through the flap, they can be seen. They are also easy to spot at the terminal.

I guess that you don't have a cell phone either; last year, when we had to upgrade our dumb phones, even the dumbest replacements all had cameras.

Your bright yellow straps, etc. are a great idea. If you always use the same cases, have a friend at home make some hard-copy photos for you. Just in case.

Can't stop laughing ... :D

Thanks, Pepper ;)

Hi Cats2010, my pleasure.

You should see them, walking hand in hand along the QM2 promenade deck one minute... dancing to the "big band" sound in the Queens Room... romantic meals in Todd English... and the next he's suggesting (for a photo) that she "lean far out over the rail... no, further..." :eek: ;)

Then he turns to me and says "no, I can't do that, she'd become a hazard to shipping"... :D

All best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

and the next he's suggesting (for a photo) that she "lean far out over the rail... no, further..." :eek: ;)

Then he turns to me and says "no, I can't do that, she'd become a hazard to shipping"... :D

Stop it, please, Pepper ... this ruins my make-up :D

P. O'Loughlin should make them an offer to appear on stage of the Royal Court Theatre ;)

Well, there's a risk associated with literally every aspect of our daily lives. And I see where you're coming from with that, but I think that, where cruises are concerned, the balance of risk is very much skewed towards the fact that you are likely to lose your camera (or have it stolen) while you are outside the UK and, ergo, the chances of a putative burglar being able to get to your house before you return are low.

In my case the cost of travel to the UK to carry out the robbery would greatly outweigh the pecuniary advantage that said burglar would gain by nicking my kit. :D:D

J

Hello Cruachan,

There is a Dick Francis book called 'In The Frame' [spoiler alert!] which deals with this subject. Burglaries set up when people in Australia, on vacation, buy artwork and give their addresses for shipping, one phone call to the UK by the sellers accomplices is all it takes.

That is why it is advised to put your name and address either inside your luggage or if on the outside turn the information facing in, so that it can't be seen at a glance by anyone with bad intentions.

I am always amazed that people on Facebook announce that they are away on vacation, for the same reason.

Edited by candle in the wind

Hello Cruachan,

There is a Dick Francis book called 'In The Frame' [spoiler alert!] which deals with this subject. Burglaries set up when people in Australia, on vacation, buy artwork and give their addresses for shipping, one phone call to the UK by the sellers accomplices is all it takes.

Very interesting. But I would still be infinitely more worried that my house might be burgled by a simple, straightforward, old fashioned and opportunistic thief who happened to notice that there had been no car in my driveway for a week or so. That's why I always ask my neighbour, who has two cars, to park one in my drive while I'm away.

That is why it is advised to put your name and address either inside your luggage or if on the outside turn the information facing in, so that it can't be seen at a glance by anyone with bad intentions.

Isn't putting your name and address inside your luggage exactly the same as having your name and address inside your camera. In fact, where digital cameras are concerned the likeliest thing is that you may lose or misplace the memory card alone. If you have some kind of contact details stored on the card (even just your e-mail address), then there's a better than average chance that you may get it back. There was a thread on here a couple of years back about a Spanish fisherman who trawled a camera up from the bed of the Atlantic. It had fallen overboard from a Cruise ship and after a load of detective work and publishing some of the images from the card on various sites, it was eventually reunited with its owners. Just think how much easier that little exercise would have been had the owner's address been on the memory card.

I am always amazed that people on Facebook announce that they are away on vacation, for the same reason.

Well, every single person on CC who joins a roll call for a specific cruise is, in effect, doing the same thing. The trick is to pay attention to your personal security and make sure that your home address isn't spread all over the Internet in such a way that it can be linked to you via Facebook or a CC Roll Call thread.

J

Very interesting. But I would still be infinitely more worried that my house might be burgled by a simple, straightforward, old fashioned and opportunistic thief who happened to notice that there had been no car in my driveway for a week or so. That's why I always ask my neighbour, who has two cars, to park one in my drive while I'm away.

Isn't putting your name and address inside your luggage exactly the same as having your name and address inside your camera. In fact, where digital cameras are concerned the likeliest thing is that you may lose or misplace the memory card alone. If you have some kind of contact details stored on the card (even just your e-mail address), then there's a better than average chance that you may get it back. There was a thread on here a couple of years back about a Spanish fisherman who trawled a camera up from the bed of the Atlantic. It had fallen overboard from a Cruise ship and after a load of detective work and publishing some of the images from the card on various sites, it was eventually reunited with its owners. Just think how much easier that little exercise would have been had the owner's address been on the memory card.

Well, every single person on CC who joins a roll call for a specific cruise is, in effect, doing the same thing. The trick is to pay attention to your personal security and make sure that your home address isn't spread all over the Internet in such a way that it can be linked to you via Facebook or a CC Roll Call thread.

J

I was just pointing out that a potential burglar wouldn't have to beat you home, but merely phone your details, and to have your address on display is inviting a thief. Perhaps this information may be helpful to someone who needs it.

Always enjoys your posts.

Edited by candle in the wind
left something out