Port Information Sheet?

sail7seas

The port info we got on our recent TA was so different than what we got on our Mediterranean cruise in 2011. That had a map of the city you could use...it had the major streets on it.The recent ones were useless and I put that in my comment at the end of the cruise. We were able to get city maps at the port, but it ia alway nice to get a good idea the night before when you get your newsletter in your cabin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah....most of those maps are pretty useless. I really don't need to know where all the "best shops" are. I would rather have street names Instead.

My memory may be faulty, but don't they usually have a sheet on the first day with the itinerary and the port agents are on that?:confused:

Agree it would be a good idea to take those names and numbers along off the ship.

I don't remember anything about port agents on the ship recently. When we went on a shorex, the guide usually gave everyone a slip of paper with his/her cell number, plus port agent info, for emergencies. When we got off on our own we were on our own! Perhaps I just missed it.

I don't remember anything about port agents on the ship recently. When we went on a shorex, the guide usually gave everyone a slip of paper with his/her cell number, plus port agent info, for emergencies. When we got off on our own we were on our own! Perhaps I just missed it.

The Port Agents name has always been made available on the port info sheet about which I am inquiring. Anyone who leaves the ship on their own should know that name and contact information.

If you go with a ship's sponsored tour, it is not so important. They know it and they have contact directly with the ship so you don't need to as long as you stay with the tour.

I am aware of the booklet. That is not what I am seeing. It is only our last several cruises it has been an issue getting that sheet and it disappoints me it is one more thing we have to become proactive about getting on our own. I vacation for my life to be made easy. When they take away things that facilitated my ease and enjoyment, each little tidbit they take away nibbles away at my utter enjoyment.

OK, I was wrong, sorry. I found one of the port information sheets that were in our room, and it does give the port agent, the US Embassy, and the Visitor Information locations and phone numbers. I guess I never really read them that carefully, as I was most focused on the map....

Sail

I just departed Maasdam his past Friday The port sheets you are refering to were available at each port in a rack at the gangway. They were not delivered to rooms and there was no one handing them out at the gangway but they were certainly available.

Kipp

Sail

I just departed Maasdam his past Friday The port sheets you are refering to were available at each port in a rack at the gangway. They were not delivered to rooms and there was no one handing them out at the gangway but they were certainly available.

Kipp

Thanks, Kipp.

That is good to hear. :)

Sail

Kipp

I wish I had seen them or known they were there. I would most definitely taken them with the port agent's name. I wondered about it every morning when I didn't see the information and never thought to ask about it.

I like the new Explorer booklets that we get -- maps, suggested places to shops, eat and places to see. It has the port agents listed and I did take pictures of that information each morning before we left the ship since I do take my camera with me.

I think it is just a waste of paper to print out individual port guides for each port when you have the booklet.

Either take pictures of the information in that booklet or tear out the sheets for each port.

I like the new Explorer booklets that we get -- maps, suggested places to shops, eat and places to see. It has the port agents listed and I did take pictures of that information each morning before we left the ship since I do take my camera with me.

I think it is just a waste of paper to print out individual port guides for each port when you have the booklet.

Either take pictures of the information in that booklet or tear out the sheets for each port.

[ B] I rarely take my camera ashore in the Caribbean anymore. We've been so many times, I really don't need more pictures of the places we've seen again and again. Occassionally, there might be people we would have taken a photo of but I carry hardly anything ashore on the islands now.

[/b]

Is this the number you'd call if you had a problem/ were detained at the various ports?

Yes -- you call that number. But if you are detained on a private cruise, the ship will not wait for you. The port agent will notify the ship that you will be missing it. The port agent will help arrange hotels, flights, etc., to get you to the next port.

If you have an accident while ashore, the port agent will take care of things for you.

If you are worried about not having your passport, in most cases if given enough time, the port agent can have security open your safe and get the passport out and give it to security or the agent at the port.

Camera goes into DH's back pack.

Great that works for you.

We never lug a backpack ashore.

DH used one only once and that was a tour he did in Alaska. Loved the tour. Didn't want to bother with a backpack again. :D We don't need all sorts of 'stuff' with us.

I get it others need their snorkle gear, cameras, bottles of water and what not. We live off the port. :)

Is this the number you'd call if you had a problem/ were detained at the various ports?

Port Agent is your 'friend in town' when ashore.

Should you have an emergency, problem, need help, Port Agent is who you can contact.

HAL has a Port Agent in every port. That is why I started this thread...... being sure we can still have that name and contact information readily available to us. :)

We have never needed it to date but Mr. Murphy's Law would ashore the time we left the ship without the info is the time we'd need it. ":eek:

We have never needed it to date but Mr. Murphy's Law would ashore the time we left the ship without the info is the time we'd need it. ":eek:

I agree ..... we try never to mention "his name" .... nor that of "Shirley" (aka "surely" that's what's going to happen) "She" always manages to make a liar out of us!! :D

I agree ..... we try never to mention "his name" .... nor that of "Shirley" (aka "surely" that's what's going to happen) "She" always manages to make a liar out of us!! :D

We are definitely on the same page. :D :cool:

Archived