Any stories from 2 mom or 2 dad families cruising with kids?

My partner and I are sailing in June with our two small kids. Does anyone have experiences, good or bad, with cruising as an LBGT family? (With the kids club, meals, etc.) We're from a very gay friendly area and sometimes still run into bumps, so any tips others have for us could be helpful.

Thanks so much!

Hi there...our son is now 23 and daughter 22. Although our kids are older, we took our daughter to Alaska when she was in 6th grade and had a blast. She really enjoyed the kids club (on Celebrity Cruises). I think she spent one whole day there, so the dads could do their thing on a sea day. We ate at a larger table and most of the guests fell in love with our daughter but one couple obviously had a problem with us. We just ignored them.

4 Years ago we took her on a cruise to the Caribbean and had a great time. She was older and not in the kids club, but not old enough for the wild and crazy party scene. Actually on Celebrity, it isn't too wild and crazy, but she had a great time. Now that the kids are relatively gone (at least old enough for us not to drag them around), we are enjoying some quality time cruising! :) Hope you guys have a wonderful time. I would look at RCL and Celebrity, both very respected names and great kid's programs. Happy sailing!

Thanks mermen! We're looking forward to the trip (Carnival Pride to Bahamas)--just this little bit of reassurance lets me push some of those worries aside and just focus on the fun. We've dealt with stuff on land and air--sea cannot be much different, right?

Safe travels

We've taken our sons on several cruises, mostly on Royal Caribbean recently but also on Carnival and Princess many years ago, and there's never been an issue with the fact that they had two dads. Everyone treated us great!

Here is the link to a beautifully written review that you may enjoy:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1610836&highlight=liberty+review

Wishing you and your family a great cruise.

:)

OMG! I'm totally flattered to see my review on here. I was just going to recommend it! LOL I'm touched.

I also did an Alaskan review with my extended family - see my signature line. After 7 or so cruises as an LGBT/Interracial family, we've had no trouble whatsoever (knock wood).

Happiest of travels!

My wife and I don't have children yet, but we did have our wedding on the Pride in January and brought along both of our families, including our 4 year-old niece. We weren't sure what kind of a response we'd get from the staff and passengers, but they were [mostly] BEYOND friendly. We did get an awkward [not judgmental] comment at dinner one night, but otherwise we had no problems. Camp Carnival allowed us to participate in the family scavenger hunt and family dance party with our niece and the room stewards and dining room staff were exceptional.

We have cruised out of Baltimore, Boston and NYC and never had a problem on ships leaving from those ports.

Hello, fellow Westchesterian!

Husband and I have been on 4 cruises already with our 4-year old, and going on our first with our 1-year old on 5/30. Never had anything but a great time. We've been on Celebrity, RCL, and NCL, cruising out of NJ, NY, Port Canaveral, and FLL. We are also a very mixed race family, so you can imagine that we definitely stand out in a crowd. :D

Our experience has been that cruise staff and passengers are more comfortable with diversity than the general public. Maybe we've just been lucky, but there is a reason we keep on cruising. :)

• 4 weeks later...
My partner and I are sailing in June with our two small kids. Does anyone have experiences, good or bad, with cruising as an LBGT family? (With the kids club, meals, etc.) We're from a very gay friendly area and sometimes still run into bumps, so any tips others have for us could be helpful.

Thanks so much!

Never had a problem! Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

so how was your cruise? Are you back yet?

We'll be travelling with our 13 year old fosterson in three weeks. First "family" vacation ever! We're so excited....but a bit nervous as well. He only joined the two of us last year, so it's new to him to have two moms...we'll see how he gets along.

I promise to write another review once we're back:).

Stef

Archived