Itinerary request China

pacheco18

In December 2009, we sailed on the Nautica from Singapore to Sydney and stayed on to visit more of Australia and New Zealand. We started at the top end of Australia and was great fun. However, we were able to spent 3 days in Indonesia - 2 in Bali and 1 in Java - went to Borubudor and it was spectacular. Mr. Del Rio, you can do this cruise again and make a lot of people happy. Also, you can add Burma (Myanamar) back on the schedule. We did the Capetown/Singapore last year and Yangon was eliminated, much to everyone's disappointment!!! Three days in Shanghai would be a very good idea. We were there last March and spent 2 days touring - including a Jewish Heritage spot. We are going back next February and will go to Suzhou one day - it has been recommended very highly as a very beautiful place to visit. There is a great big world out there, and many of us have seen a good deal of it cruising on Oceania, but I'm sure it can find more interesting places.

As for the Black Sea cruise, when we were there with Oceania, we spent 2 days in Istanbul before sailing - I thought this cruise started from Istanbul. Thanks again, Arlene

Edited by tanny18
missing signature

• 7 months later...
I agree that both Suzhou and Hanghzou warrant a visit but perhaps a cruise is not the best way to do it. Shanghai is a very interesting city with lots to do and see as well as several nice day trips to the nearby "water villages"

Dalian was a pleasant surprise but I would not trade it for an extra day in Halong Bay/Hanoi.

Hi Paul,

Just wondering what surprised you in Dalian. Just planning our day there and was looking for some first-person advice. I will check the ports of call section too. Do you think there was a shuttle to the town centre?

Frances, Toronto, Canada

Edited by Tansy Mews

Hi Paul,

Just wondering what surprised you in Dalian. Just planning our day there and was looking for some first-person advice. I will check the ports of call section too. Do you think there was a shuttle to the town centre?

Frances, Toronto, Canada

Hi Frances,

It was a very large but clean and modern city with interesting architecture, lots of green space and kind people. It seemed different from most Chinese cities (?Russian influence). Certainly not as interesting as Shanghai or Beijing but not a wasted day by any means.

We were there with a Princess cruise (Vancouver to Beijing) and we just took a ship's tour. I don't believe there was a shuttle but I think others on the roll call had arranged private tours (IIRC).

Paul

Edited by Paulchili

ship travels at 18 knots Max.

...except on very rare occasions, such as when Captain Jurica Brajčić was at the helm and put the ship up to full throttle of 23 knots and employed evasive maneuvers to successfully escape Somali pirates, protecting Nautica and her passengers and crew!

Here's a link to the story:

http://dalje.com/en-world/dubrovnik-captain-escapes-somali-pirates/209732

Otherwise, the 18 knot maximum is duly noted as we all plan our dream itineraries. Personally, we'd like as many ports in Japan as possible, even a Circle Japan itinerary in Spring or Autumn would be great.

You want to circumnavigate Japan?

How is this for an itinerary (with just a touch of Taiwan, S. Korea and Russia for variety):

Sat May 24 Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan 6:00pm

Sun May 25 At Sea

Mon May 26 Cheju City, South Korea Noon 8:00pm

Tue May 27 At Sea

Wed May 28 Hualien, Taiwan 7:00am 5:00pm

Thu May 29 Kao-hsiung, Taiwan 8:00am 6:00pm

Fri May 30 Taipei (Keelung), Taiwan 8:00am 6:00pm

Sat May 31 At Sea

Sun Jun 1 At Sea

Mon Jun 2 Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan 6:00am 6:00pm

Tue Jun 3 At Sea

Wed Jun 4 Kushiro, Japan 7:00am 5:00pm

Thu Jun 5 Shiretoko Peninsula (Scenic Cruising) 2:00pm 5:00pm

Fri Jun 6 Korsakov, Sakhalin, Russia 6:00am 6:00pm

Sat Jun 7 Otaru, Japan 6:00am 6:00pm

Sun Jun 8 Hakodate, Japan 8:00am 11:00pm

Mon Jun 9 Aomori, Japan 7:00am 9:00pm

Tue Jun 10 At Sea

Wed Jun 11 Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan 6:00am 6:00pm

Thu Jun 12 At Sea

Fri Jun 13 At Sea

Sat Jun 14 Kanazawa, Japan 6:00am 6:00pm

Sun Jun 15 Maizuru, Japan 6:00am 6:00pm

Mon Jun 16 Sakaiminato, Japan 6:00am 6:00pm

Tue Jun 17 Busan, South Korea 7:00am 4:00pm

Wed Jun 18 Kagoshima, Japan 9:00am 6:00pm

Thu Jun 19 At Sea

Fri Jun 20 Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan 6:00am

This is on the Diamond Princess in 2014 - we cannot do that but if they repeat it in 2015, we are on.

Needless to say that we would prefer to do it on Oceania (even if it was shorter). This timing misses the cherry blossoms but the weather will be much nicer. :)

Edited by Paulchili

We'll be in Nagasaki (not mentioned on the list) on Apr 19 and Kagoshima (full boom Apr 3) on Apr 20, 2015. Perhaps we might see the end of the bloom; maybe the season will be a little late?

Edited by hondorner

We'll be in Nagasaki (not mentioned on the list) on Apr 19 and Kagoshima (full boom Apr 3) on Apr 20, 2015. Perhaps we might see the end of the bloom; maybe the season will be a little late?

I certainly hope that all of those beautiful flowers have the good sense to wait for you, because missing Cherry Blossom Season in Japan would be the pits....

:p

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyMzjmo0iG32wf3bU5k0ZWlAnT5MZhd7_X0nMXGp9guq5xYDcC

sorry, couldn't resist it

You want to circumnavigate Japan?

How is this for an itinerary (with just a touch of Taiwan, S. Korea and Russia for variety):

SatMay24Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan 6:00pm

SunMay25At Sea

MonMay26Cheju City, South Korea Noon8:00pm

TueMay27At Sea

WedMay28Hualien, Taiwan7:00am5:00pm

ThuMay29Kao-hsiung, Taiwan 8:00am6:00pm

FriMay30Taipei (Keelung), Taiwan 8:00am6:00pm

SatMay31At Sea

SunJun1At Sea

MonJun2Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan 6:00am6:00pm

TueJun3At Sea

WedJun4Kushiro, Japan 7:00am5:00pm

ThuJun5Shiretoko Peninsula (Scenic Cruising)2:00pm5:00pm

FriJun6Korsakov, Sakhalin, Russia 6:00am6:00pm

SatJun7Otaru, Japan 6:00am6:00pm

SunJun8Hakodate, Japan 8:00am11:00pm

MonJun9Aomori, Japan 7:00am9:00pm

TueJun10At Sea

WedJun11Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan 6:00am6:00pm

ThuJun12At Sea

FriJun13At Sea

SatJun14Kanazawa, Japan 6:00am6:00pm

SunJun15Maizuru, Japan6:00am6:00pm

MonJun16Sakaiminato, Japan 6:00am6:00pm

TueJun17Busan, South Korea 7:00am4:00pm

WedJun18Kagoshima, Japan 9:00am6:00pm

ThuJun19At Sea

FriJun20Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan 6:00am

This is on the Diamond Princess in 2014 - we cannot do that but if they repeat it in 2015, we are on.

Needless to say that we would prefer to do it on Oceania (even if it was shorter). This timing misses the cherry blossoms but the weather will be much nicer. :)

If I weren't fully booked for 2015 I would consider. Really hoping fdr is reading this thread and takes us around japan in spring 2016

Maybe I'll start a roll call. Lolol