Need tips on how to save space in cabin

The suitcases on the balcony thing used to be discussed all the time- that's why people brought bungees (yet another reason). I wouldn't want them to get wet and covered with salt, but I guess if you're desperate...

The pop up hamper I can't get! Those things take up a LOT of space when in use. I just put the dirty clothes in the suitcases under the bed. And I do wash during the voyage.

I was with my four sons in a quad cabin with a rollaway and it was the most fun I ever had in my life. You'll have a blast.

We are a family of 3, here are some things we do when we cruise, we take 7 days cruise and arrive and stay in Port 1 day extra for a 9 day vacation...

For packing we allow 2 bags per person, one for clothes and one for toys/books miscellaneous. BOTH most work as carry-ons for the plane and fit in the overhead. Usually a rolling suitcase and bookbag/small backpack is the arrangement per person.

2 people get a closet section and one gets the dresser. Most of the clothes live ROLLED up in the original suitcase stored on the floor on the closet. Most shorts and shirts are worn more than once to save packing space.

I awake around 5 AM so am out of my wife and daughters way when they awake at 7. My daughter (8) and I turn in at 8:30/9 PM, the wife later, so in the evening less congestion occurs in the bathroom space.

You might think i'm nuts, ( well, maybe I am), but my mother was a frequent traveler. both on land and sea. she used to set aside certain items of clothing that she no longer was going to wear, and bring those articles with her when traveling. She would wear them, then dispose of them. She swore by it.. said there was no dirty laundry to either have to do, or bring home, and there was more room in the suitcases going home, to bring souveniers etc, without so many clothes. I am going to think about it on my next trip.

Great Ideal.........

Throw away clothes...............:)

Where did she dispose the clothes..??

I am thinking the Steward may not understand.......

so, we decided to book both boys in room with us for first time (i know!), and because we have booked adjoining rooms on previous cruises, i have never had to contend with four people in one cabin.

Do any of you have ideas, pics, gadgets, or anything you can suggest to create more space for clothes, ways to organize, ect?

Pack light. Keep things put away and the clutter to a minimum. It will make a huge difference in the feel of the room. I agree with the suitcases under the bed idea. Anything pop-up that takes up floor space or hangs on a door is not a good idea. You have 4 to the room, floor space is going to be a premium. We dedicate the bottom of one closet as a hamper with a large plastic bag. I keep my toiletries in my travel kit and put that in my closet after use, nothing on the counter. If it stays in the bathroom it has to fit on the small shelf.

One trick I use before I leave is put everything I'm packing and put it on the bed and then remove 30% (except for under garments). The has never failed me, I still bring home unworn items.

Check out the Ziploc storage cube:

http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Flexible-Totes-X-Large-Pack/dp/B003UEJ41Y/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1

They can store your clothes in the suitcase and then store shoes, dirty laundry--even store the boys' clothes under the bed and be slid out and back in, acting as drawers.

My friend tried to throw away a dress that she wore on elegant night. She was tired of having to futz with the straps and had had enough of dealing with it. Since she got it on sale at a good price, she just decided to put it in the little trash can. The cabin steward pulled it out and hung it on the hook by the vanity.

I also take one of these with me on every cruise for our dirty clothes. They don't take any room in your suitcase and the keep the cabin nice and tidy. I keep it in the closet so it's out of the way. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367775575.789152.jpg.42c75510c6780669ec86a5b6f997539e.jpg

The pop up hamper fits right under the desk top so it is convenient yet out of the way. I have to admit that when I first got it I thought it might be in the way but it fits so nicely there. I love it. I think it is such a pain to get my suitcase out. Isn't it great that we have so many options?

The suitcases on the balcony thing used to be discussed all the time- that's why people brought bungees (yet another reason). I wouldn't want them to get wet and covered with salt, but I guess if you're desperate...

The pop up hamper I can't get! Those things take up a LOT of space when in use. I just put the dirty clothes in the suitcases under the bed. And I do wash during the voyage.

I was with my four sons in a quad cabin with a rollaway and it was the most fun I ever had in my life. You'll have a blast.

I thinking packing smart is the most important piece of advice. Bring only what you need and avoid, especially the boys, bringing half the house for entertainment. I think this has already been mentioned, but get one of the 3 compartment folding toiletry organizers to go over the back of the bathroom door, those are great and keeps things handy but out of the way.

For kids, it may be more difficult, but pack clothes that can be worn in multiple configurations. We went to Europe for 12 days last year with just a carryon each and I brought back a few pieces that were never worn. I picked up a cute stretchy convertible travel skirt that can be worn as a long skirt, short skirt, or short dress/bathing suit cover up. Every top and bottom could be worn with other pieces. Make up and haircare items were kept to the essentials.

I like the suggestion of bringing the popup boxes to keep shelves organized - I have a couple that I'll be sure to toss in the suitcase!

I found the cabins to have plenty of space to put everything. Must haves are : Over the door holder, I bring the full length one and put everything from belts, bathing suits, curling iron, straighteners,to sandals/flipflops, shoes,socks,undies,bras, etc. I also pack everything in Ziplocks labeled, You can easily view and pull out the shirt or shorts you desire. They stack nicely. I am also a huge fan of the LLBean family organizer for ALL our toiletries. I will never go without clothespins! Small rolling luggage goes in larger bags and stored under the bed. I also like to bring grocery store plastic bags to put in the trash can as liners as they don't use liners and those little trash containers don't hold much and overflow. You can always ask for extra hangers and if going to warm weather Don't EVER bother to bring more than one sweater/sweatshirt/Hoodie for each person. You just wont need it and as many have said you can do laundry if needed. Enjoy!!

L

You know I could never "get" the over the door shoe organizer but I'm totally a believer now. I don't use it for toiletries and miscellaneous items as most do. I actually use it for my shoes and belts. Works perfectly on the inside of my closest door. I used one in March on a cruise with my DD and her friend (3 women in a cabin). Didn't plan to use for shoes but it worked out beautifully. I always bring a lot of shoes and belts and they're always in a pile on the closet floor or on a shelf. Never again will I travel without my over the door shoe organizer. Also, I love my Pop Up Box that I bring along for smaller items. They store nicely on the shelves if you don't want it on the vanity area. I think I'll bring more than one next cruise.

So that when I need to transfer the load to an empty suitcase all I have to do is pull up the bag and put it in the suitcase. Keeps the dirty smell to a minimum too.

I use the over the door organizer inside the closet for sunglasses, room keys, sunscreen, walkie talkies (when I used to bring them)...anything that you might put on top of the counter...put in there.

I also ask the room steward to take any extra chairs or tables out of the room. All I need is the stool for under the desk. Everything else goes...need as much floor space as possible.

I also bring a lot of extra hangers, the thinnest ones I can find....like from the dry cleaners. The more I can hang up, the less drawer space I need for each kid. I try to hang shorts and shirts in outfits so they're easy to find....for my kids.

That's about it for now

On our very first cruise, I decided to take the over-the-door shoe hanger, which worked wonders!!! I kept all my toiletries and small items like spare batteries for the camera, make-up, when we were in the room we kept the sign and sail cards in the pockets, and other small items. It kept the small counter space in the bathroom free of clutter.

First, I agree with the small/med pop up box on the vanity to hold camera, devices, charges etc while not in use. This is also great for my air dryer, flat iron, brushes, hair spray etc when not being used. That area that quickly gets very cluttered with stuff.

I think I would like to get one of the pop up boxes...

Does miracle have storage under bed

Yes, you can fit 2 28" suitcases under each bed (or 4 per king bed set-up). If your cabin is equipped with a sofa/couch, there are 2 drawers under it that can be utilized as well for clothes etc.

Also, on our last cruise (15 days), I decided to be a bit more organized, and found that the pop-up boxes work great - bought at the dollar store, and left them on board to free up space in the suitcase.

While at the dollar store, I found a small hanger with 4 'hooks', that attaches by suction cups, which we utilized to hang our sail and sign cards from. It attached to the Vanity mirror quite securely for the full 15 days ! The alternative would be to use 4 suction cups that have hooks.

Another idea, since the cruise was so long, was to copy the itinerary (put into a page protector) and have it on the back of the main door (attached with strong magnets), so I didn't have to keep digging through our cruise doc's every other day or so.

OP: This board is a weath of knowledge and ideas, hope the above helps someone...I know I will be using them again on our upcoming 16 day Hawaiian voyage.

As soon as I get to the cabin I remove the bathrobes from the closet, fold them up an put them under the bed. I use 3M Command hooks inside each of the closet doors and beside the vanity to put a mesh laundry bag on one and use the others to hang other things.

I pack a shamwow to get more moisture out of my bathing suit or other items that I might have hand washed before I hang them to dry.

Off topic but a good energy saving tip for home. If you put a clean dry bath towel in the dryer with your newly washed cloths, it will cut your drying time almost in half.

I take all of the books and funtimes and stack them under the telephone. When we get all the new paperwork in the evening it goes in the trash.

I let my cabin steward know that we don't need a towel animal every night and we don't want to save them for the week.

Archived