Post Cruise Tour plans what should I add or delete?

tamsocal

Late July

Somewhere below would like to see if Float/fishing trip will fit in: Denali/Alyeska/Fairbanks

1 adult & 5,5,9 yr olds

Day 1 Seward: Disembark. Kenai Fjords Boat Tour- 6 hrs. Not sure if Kenai tours or with Major Marine. Is there a big difference? type of tour? cost?

After boat tour HAL bus to Alyeska for free or stay a few more hours until 6p and $200 Alaska RR to Girdwood. If taking RR Would likely have time to visit Exit Glacier and Sea Life center before train leaves. Probably no time for either it HAL bus

Day 2 Girdwood/Alyeska

Plan A Tram, Hiking, Panning for gold nearby?

Plan B Girdwood Jet Boat

Plan C Fishing /Float trip? is there anywhere to do this?

Day 3

Portage Glacier Boat tour/Alaska Wildlife Center (both free in our package)

Arrive ANchorage ~4p

? what to do?

Anchorage Zoo? &/or walk around town?

Day 4 Train to Denali. ~1p Tundra Wilderness Tour.

Day 5 Denali-- nothing planned ? float/fishing trip? or Shuttle to Eielson instead of TWT

Day 6 Denali am. ~ 4pm train to Fairbanks

Day 7 Fairbanks ?float/fishing trip

Day 8 Fairbanks

Ice Museum

Pipeline

Gold Dredge

RIverboat chena river

Univ of Fairbanks Museum

Large ANimal Research Station

North Pole

Pioneer Park

Creamery Wildlife Refuge

Day 9 1am- flight leaves

thanks in advance for the input!! let me know if crazy plans or any fine tuning suggestions :)

There is some lacking features of this cruisetour, with the unfortunate problem you paid for all those TWT's for kids that would have gone free on the shuttle buses. Be CERTAIN to well prepare those 5 year old's, it is not a zoo and most kids this age couldn't care less about scenery. Take triple the activities, batteries and snacks that you think you'll need and stress appropriate behavior, these buses run full.

As for your interests outside of the cruisetour- why did you select Alyeska and Talkeetna? Did you know anything about them? What is included the kids will probably enjoy with the Portage Glacier and Conservatory, but these could be consider fill in tours for some people. I believe I have already responded, with Denali being your raft option. You have no transportation for any on the Kenai River. Fishing is best out of Seward, can be good out of Talkeetna and Anchorage. Ketchikan, Hoonah and Juneau are best from the cruise. Not from the other areas you are asking.

Your details are wrong, You will not be getting to Denali Park until 4pm with the TWT the next day? HAL does not refund the tours, you really need to take a hard look and think about the money involved if you go with the shuttle.

HAL uses Kenai Tours for Kenai Fjords.

There is some lacking features of this cruisetour, with the unfortunate problem you paid for all those TWT's for kids that would have gone free on the shuttle buses.

The kids were free for the cruise tour-- so essentially their TWT tickets were free as well. If the Eielson Shuttle is the far superior option. I am completely ok not using the TWT and paying $37 for a shuttle bus ticket.

Be CERTAIN to well prepare those 5 year old's, it is not a zoo and most kids this age couldn't care less about scenery. Take triple the activities, batteries and snacks that you think you'll need and stress appropriate behavior, these buses run full.

we have taken a 2-3 year old to Fish Creek before- so at least I know what to expect & how to plan- agreed that they need back up plans for boredom but I dont really need to stress appropriate behavior. They travel alot & know already. I would not treat fellow passengers with disregard and unruly children.

As for your interests outside of the cruisetour- why did you select Alyeska and Talkeetna?

We arent going to talkeetna- did that last time and didnt desire to go again. I wanted to go the conservatory since we did not last time and Alyeska seemed like a new option to try that included portage & Conservatory with the tour- and again the kids were free. Might have been a bad choice- but its done & now I just have to plan my day there

Did you know anything about them? What is included the kids will probably enjoy with the Portage Glacier and Conservatory, but these could be consider fill in tours for some people.

Yes hopefully this will be a fun morning

I believe I have already responded, with Denali being your raft option.

I have sent some emails regarding fishing on our 2nd day in denali- -

You have no transportation for any on the Kenai River. Fishing is best out of Seward,

for the price I paid adding the cruisetour on- I have no issue with paying for a night hotel in seward to go fishing out of Seward if this is what works best into our plan-- i'll do some searching.

can be good out of Talkeetna

fished the last time in Talkeetna- and didnt want to go back this time but we had an amazing trip

and Anchorage. Ketchikan, Hoonah and Juneau are best from the cruise. Not from the other areas you are asking.

we might look into fishing in Juneau or Ketchikan-- the kids arent obsessed with it but kind of wanted to so a float & fishing trip so I might look hard into denali but i will need to find one for early am and finish in time to catch 4pm train to fairbanks. Since the day prior will be TWT or shuttle bus in the am

Your details are wrong, You will not be getting to Denali Park until 4pm with the TWT the next day? HAL does not refund the tours, you really need to take a hard look and think about the money involved if you go with the shuttle.

im ok not getting a refund and paying the $37-40 for the shuttle- the kids are free so not alot of $ to stress about what is included in the tour and not. Sure would still like to keep $40 but the cost ok some of these tours makes this insiginificant

HAL uses Kenai Tours for Kenai Fjords.

is one viewed as more superior than the other? pluses & minuses between the 2??

is one viewed as more superior than the other? pluses & minuses between the 2??

All three kids were free with a cruisetour, with only paying for one adult. Yes indeed an excellent deal. :)

The TWT may be "better" for the 5 year olds due to having the video for wildlife viewing. Are they tv watchers and would be satisfied with that? Eielson, is "superior" it goes farther. Denali is all about distance. Plus the visitor center is excellent, ranger talks and programs, some exhibits, Flush toilets and running water- a real bonus. There is no fishing of any worth at Denali. If you happen to arrange any transportation, Nenana would probably be your closest, better area. Seward would be superior, but then, don't know how you would do this, with your reason for booking this cruisetour- including the Wildlife Conservatory and Portage Glacier. IF you stayed an extra night in Seward, wouldn't you be missing this? Or was this going to be instead of a Kenai Fjords boat tour? Tough decisions will have to be made.

I mentioned a problem with your itinerary you listed, did you find that your TWT was day 2 at Denali? There aren't going to be any combo raft/fishing trips. The rafting would fit well, your Denali arrival day. This may make the best use of time.

Well technically the 5 year olds were free for the land add on. The nine year old & I were $50/ night additional.

I swore the last time we did princess cruitour we would go independent next time as it seemed easy enough and not locked in to the tour drill, meet ups, leave time, crowds, etc.

However, the kids and I we're just going to do a cruise and then the add on for the tour was a remarkable price so we changed over to a cruise tour.

With traveling alone with the 3 of them, I just thought, going with cruise line tour might actually be a little easier on me.

I think I would prefer foregoing the first night at Alyeska and staying in Seward vs going to talkeetna for fishing

But the kids can fish at home and aren't really obsessed with this so I might just pass.

Last cruise we bailed on the natural history tour included and paid for fish creek shuttle, but I am leaning towards just going on TWT.

Am curious though.... If I buy a eielson shuttle ticket and start off on TWT, Can we just get on a eielson shuttle at one of the stops. Probably won't do thus but was thinking if the kids are really having a good time and can hang in til eielson we could keep going.

But I guess we could do same thing start on eielson and if they are not enjoying it..... Hop off at one stop and head back on a return shuttle? So having a eielson ticket would be an easy out if we need to u turn vs TWT that we are locked in til the end?

If we stay an extra night in seward we would still be good for portage/conservatory that is on the 3rd morning. Presently we have nothing planned/confirmed for first full day at Alyeska

But we could just do the kenai fjords tour and then either take bus for free or rail to gird wood for $200. The extra $200 would allow us to go to exit and sea life center and no need for paying for hotel in Seward.

If we stayed another night I think we would do fishing and float trip but I found a float trip in Denali that looks great so although another day in seward would be good, the other options look fun too.

Full day in Alyeska could be a slower day for some short hikes, tram ride and gold digging?

Yes I had mixed up the train arrival times. TWT is am next morning. So wen have TWT til probaly mid afternoon and then the next day free until 4pm

Well technically the 5 year olds were free for the land add on. The nine year old & I were $50/ night additional.

I swore the last time we did princess cruitour we would go independent next time as it seemed easy enough and not locked in to the tour drill, meet ups, leave time, crowds, etc.

However, the kids and I we're just going to do a cruise and then the add on for the tour was a remarkable price so we changed over to a cruise tour.

With traveling alone with the 3 of them, I just thought, going with cruise line tour might actually be a little easier on me.

I think I would prefer foregoing the first night at Alyeska and staying in Seward vs going to talkeetna for fishing

But the kids can fish at home and aren't really obsessed with this so I might just pass.

Last cruise we bailed on the natural history tour included and paid for fish creek shuttle, but I am leaning towards just going on TWT.

Am curious though.... If I buy a eielson shuttle ticket and start off on TWT, Can we just get on a eielson shuttle at one of the stops. Probably won't do thus but was thinking if the kids are really having a good time and can hang in til eielson we could keep going.

But I guess we could do same thing start on eielson and if they are not enjoying it..... Hop off at one stop and head back on a return shuttle? So having a eielson ticket would be an easy out if we need to u turn vs TWT that we are locked in til the end?

If we stay an extra night in seward we would still be good for portage/conservatory that is on the 3rd morning. Presently we have nothing planned/confirmed for first full day at Alyeska

But we could just do the kenai fjords tour and then either take bus for free or rail to gird wood for $200. The extra $200 would allow us to go to exit and sea life center and no need for paying for hotel in Seward.

If we stayed another night I think we would do fishing and float trip but I found a float trip in Denali that looks great so although another day in seward would be good, the other options look fun too.

Full day in Alyeska could be a slower day for some short hikes, tram ride and gold digging?

Yes I had mixed up the train arrival times. TWT is am next morning. So wen have TWT til probaly mid afternoon and then the next day free until 4pm

You can get on ANY return, shuttle bus, IF you happen to exit the Tundra Wilderness tour. You can not go further. With you already having tickets, overall, perhaps take advantage of them and just use them. And as I mention, you don't need to have shuttle bus tickets, unless you wish to take that. It's going to be either or. You very likely will not be able to hook up with the bus unless you take it to begin with.

There are not any "float" tours out of Seward that I know of. If of any interest, Seavey's also runs a very nice dog sled cart ride that kids usually really like.

You can get on ANY return, shuttle bus, IF you happen to exit the Tundra Wilderness tour. You can not go further. With you already having tickets, overall, perhaps take advantage of them and just use them. And as I mention, you don't need to have shuttle bus tickets, unless you wish to take that. It's going to be either or. You very likely will not be able to hook up with the bus unless you take it to begin with.

There are not any "float" tours out of Seward that I know of. If of any interest, Seavey's also runs a very nice dog sled cart ride that kids usually really like.

I didn't realize or remember that we could hop on a return shuttle with a TWT ticket. Yes- I think that TWT is sounding like a good idea for now and the best option for my kids- just use the TWT tickets already included- we have quite a few long tours planned & I don't want to over do it and the video might be nice.

PS...... Princess Cruise refunded us for the Natural History Tour when we didn't use it 6 years ago. Rules might of changed since then. Cant recall exactly what took place

PS...... Princess Cruise refunded us for the Natural History Tour when we didn't use it 6 years ago. Rules might of changed since then. Cant recall exactly what took place

Yes, Princess still refunds the tours, which I recommend. Problem can be, when people "upgrade" through Princess, then "complain" they are given a range of time they won't know when their bus is until they get there. Would have been a simple solution- IF they had just made the effort and booked themselves direct. Simple way to get the exact bus you want.

Archived