Venice berthing location

jerbeth

When overnighting in Venice does the ship ever change berthing position? The reason I ask is that once on a Princess cruise we boarded at the main pier and moved during the night to an incredible location much closer to 'the action'. ;)

Overnight twice on Celebrity. They stayed at the same port. I have been on other cruises that did move. If the ship moves, you should be notified before you get off the ship. Check the listings on the Port of Venice to find which berth your ship is scheduled to occupy. It is more reliable than any other source. Last October we sailed out of Venice. It was lovely. It was easy to get to the ship. If you are coming from the airport, the regular land taxi is quicker and cheaper. Water taxis are very expensive and slower. There are many options to get from the ship to the various places that you want to see. Take the people mover from the port to the vaparetto stops. Buy tickets at a newspaper stand. I used an unlimited pass and got on/off a many locations. Walk through the narrow walkways and just enjoy. I love Venice.

Our ship, Millennium, did not move berthing locations when she overnighted in Venice in Jun 2007. Perhaps this is because it was the first night of the cruise.

When overnighting in Venice does the ship ever change berthing position? The reason I ask is that once on a Princess cruise we boarded at the main pier and moved during the night to an incredible location much closer to 'the action'. ;)

Was it one of those smaller former Renaissance cruise ships (around 700 passengers)?

That other dock, closer to the action, is available to small ships only...

There would be no opportunity or reason to move most ships...

Thank you for your responses. We were just hoping as the other location is such a great jumping off spot. I forget which ship we were on when we moved but it was either the Ruby or the Emerald Princess and, yes, we were notified in the Patter but didn't realize what it would mean until we woke up in the middle of everything!:)

Archived