Trolley Bus Tours

Goldygolfer

We are going to be there for the day and want to spend time at the beach and time shopping/walking around. Though the reviews for the beach aren't great we are from the snowy northeast on a 5 day cruise so really want to spend a little time there. Do we need a trolley to go to Higgs or Ft. Zachery and then to Duval? I think we can easily walk Duval and wonder if a taxi back and forth to the beach is a better option for us then a trolley??

We are going to be there for the day and want to spend time at the beach and time shopping/walking around. Though the reviews for the beach aren't great we are from the snowy northeast on a 5 day cruise so really want to spend a little time there. Do we need a trolley to go to Higgs or Ft. Zachery and then to Duval? I think we can easily walk Duval and wonder if a taxi back and forth to the beach is a better option for us then a trolley??

I would only use a trolley if you want the tour and several stops. You will save money with a taxi and some people do walk to Fort Zachary, but it is kind of a hike. There is a small beach at the end of Duval called South Beach that might also be convenient. It is nowhere near as nice as the other beaches, but you can rent $5 beach lounges and get drinks from the bar.

• 2 weeks later...
I have never heard of anyone asking for a refund on a trolley tour so that point is moot.

Mike:)

How frequently does a ship skip this port due to weather? That's my concern. I see buying online is much cheaper but non-refundable. We're a family of 5. Would hate to be out $100 if the stop was cancelled.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

How frequently does a ship skip this port due to weather? That's my concern. I see buying online is much cheaper but non-refundable. We're a family of 5. Would hate to be out $100 if the stop was cancelled.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Very rarely.

If that happened to be the case all one would need to do is contact your credit card company explaining why you could not use them and they should reverse the charges.

Mike:)

My mom and I used City View trolley. We bought the tickets from the cruise line because the price was only $19.95 on the ship. We were docked at Outer Mole, so the trolley picked us up at the ship. (This was true for Old Town and Conch Train as well.) I chose City View because of the reports the seats were more comfortable. The padded seats were nice, but the seats were WAY too close together. My mom and I are both 5'2", and our legs were uncomfortably crammed into the wooden boards of the seat in front of us. That being said, however, I was happy with the service and the narration provided by City View. I also rode on Old Town Trolley, because only they and the Conch Train have the contracts for the return shuttle to Outer Mole. I actually thought Old Town's seats were more comfortable, even though less padded. (I totally understand that comfort is a subjective thing.) I thought the trolley was an excellent way to get an overview of Key West prior to exploring on our own.

City View is cheaper but Old Town gives out coupon books for free.

We are in port from 8am until 5pm in April next year.

I have read many of the threads and reports for this port stop and think that coming from "Downunder" this will probably be our only opportunity to see Key West, I am thinking that one of the trolley bus tours might be the best way for us to get an overview of the area.

However, I am now confused since I have discovered that there are two different companies that do this type of tour - one being considerably cheaper than the other. But cheaper is not always the "best".

We are a group of six and would really appreciate any comments from anyone who has done either one of these tours as to which one we should consider doing. Or any other suggestions that you think might be better.

Thanks in advance. Greetings from Australia.

Does City View give out a free coupon booklet?

City View didn't give out a coupon booklet, but they had discount coupons for the Butterfly Museum and one other place (sorry I can't remember, but I think it was a restaurant or bar.)