Trolley Bus Tours

Goldygolfer

We are in port from 8am until 5pm in April next year.

I have read many of the threads and reports for this port stop and think that coming from "Downunder" this will probably be our only opportunity to see Key West, I am thinking that one of the trolley bus tours might be the best way for us to get an overview of the area.

However, I am now confused since I have discovered that there are two different companies that do this type of tour - one being considerably cheaper than the other. But cheaper is not always the "best".

We are a group of six and would really appreciate any comments from anyone who has done either one of these tours as to which one we should consider doing. Or any other suggestions that you think might be better.

Thanks in advance. Greetings from Australia.

Edited by Goldygolfer

However, I am now confused since I have discovered that there are two different companies that do this type of tour - one being considerably cheaper than the other. But cheaper is not always the "best".

I am a local here and know quite a bit about both companies. The 2 companies are Old Town and City View. City View is the cheaper of the 2, and I will say that in this case, cheaper is better. The guides on both are informative and humorous, and the routes are vitually identical. However, you pay less for City View and their seats are padded. Both are hop on/hop off. I recommend booking City View over Old Town.

FWIW Old Town has 12 stops and City View 8, the difference being that the latter goes out to approx the White Street pier and comes back while the former goes farther out of Old Town, out past Smathers beach and to approx the East Martello Tower before coming back.

Pjk

Thank you everyone for your very helpful comments. We will probably go with the City View Trolley. The difference in price will help pay for the conch fritters, which I am looking forward to trying.

I am a local here and know quite a bit about both companies. The 2 companies are Old Town and City View. City View is the cheaper of the 2, and I will say that in this case, cheaper is better. The guides on both are informative and humorous, and the routes are vitually identical. However, you pay less for City View and their seats are padded. Both are hop on/hop off. I recommend booking City View over Old Town.

Took the words from my mouth.

Just buy the ticket once you get there. Much much cheaper than from the cruise line. We are seniors and I had us each a 2.00 off coupon. Trying to find the site I got the coupon from for a friend right now.

We used City View last month and although we don't have any experience with Old Town I would definatly recommend City View. All of the tour guides were great, both humorous and informative. We only wish we had more time, we were only able got off at a few stops. We only used them for a few hours in the afternoon after our parasailing trip in the morning.

I don't know what cruise line you are on but while we were with Royal Caribbean (Majesty of the Seas) and the price to book was the same as the 'coupon' or 'discounted online' price. So we just booked it through the ship. This may not always be the case though!

Are the Old Town Trolley's open all the way around? or is there a single door for everyone to exit? We have ridden on the "open" ones in San Juan and St Augustine and prefer those

thanks

Are the Old Town Trolley's open all the way around? or is there a single door for everyone to exit? We have ridden on the "open" ones in San Juan and St Augustine and prefer those

thanks

Neither the Old Town or City View Trolleys are open and have one entry/exit door.

Mike:)

• 2 weeks later...
Just for confirmation, hop on hop off means that you can get on and off when you wish. We wanted to go to south point and I don't see where that is a stop.

Stop number 5 on City View Trolley is near the Southernmost Point.

Mike:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was recently in Key west and was able to purchase tickets ahead of time online and saved the $2. From there I printed my confirmation and just brought that with me to one of the bus stops. The next bus that came let us hop on and when we got to one of the ticket counters we hopped off really quick and got our official tickets (a sticker). It was really easy.

Thank you everyone for your very helpful comments. We will probably go with the City View Trolley. The difference in price will help pay for the conch fritters, which I am looking forward to trying.

One other vote for City View. We bought our tickets online ahead of time, but I left them on the ship. They looked up our purchase record and had us on the next shuttle in less than 5 minutes. Everything about them seemed nice.

Their website just talks about buying on-line. Don't they have a spot in Key West to get them? Their Key West address doesn't even look like it's on the route.

In 2010 you could just walk up and buy them. I had to visit that station as I forgot my tickets on the ship.