Revamped Carnival Sunshine facing problems in maiden voyage

Hi Everyone

Im on the Sunshine right now. We're docked in Messina today. I thought I would try to give some insight into how things were going.

My husband and I were among the numerous people that had cabin problems when boarding Luckily our toilet and shower worked, but we did have mostly cold showers the first few days or showered in the spa. None of the electricity in our room worked except overhead lights so no hair drying or charging. Our ac didnt work properly. We were starting to get upset by day three because we had reported the problems and had no idea of a time frame to get things fixed. We luckily bumped ino an engineer from carnival in the hallway and he can with us and fixed several of the problems.

Some have had worse problems than us. Toilets overflowing, flooded cabins, water leaking in room over night. Saying this, I would also say ther have been crew members working day and night to fix the rooms. I would expect most of these problems to be ironed out by the next sailing. except no idea if waterworks and pools will open

Also, Carnival was generous and gave us a partial refund as OBC for room problems, as well as giving everyone $150 because of waterworks being closed

Are these cabin issues shipwide, or are they focused on the newer cabins like the spa cabins? Only curious because that is where I will be spending my honeymoon next week and I hope to God that our cabin is in working order. :eek:

i wouldnt post photos while exploring a port. i would be looking after what I am doing enjoying myself and go back to ship on time.

If you were really fired up about atrocious conditions aboard ship, especially on Carnival after its recent issues, you might (and someone would). It's not like it's difficult to find places with free wifi.

If you were really fired up about atrocious conditions aboard ship, especially on Carnival after its recent issues, you might (and someone would). It's not like it's difficult to find places with free wifi.

i would think "enough with the troubles , we travelled that far to enjoy ourselves so lets get the most of it and deal with the reviews and forums later" .. not that i dont care about forums, i actually do and i appreciate feedbacks .. but it is not a message you post and run away . .ppl will keep speculating why you posted, and what didnt you mentioned, and why and why , and you may end up regretting the time you wasted on posting here .

but when am back home and have time like now, i will post as many details as i can

Are these cabin issues shipwide, or are they focused on the newer cabins like the spa cabins? Only curious because that is where I will be spending my honeymoon next week and I hope to God that our cabin is in working order. :eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yes video and pictures please. On another travel forum people are always posting pictures of shoddy rooms. Surely SOMEBODY must have some pictures to post if it is that bad.

Id say we may see a few once they get back home. The cruise doesn't finish until the 17th so it will be after that. Hopefully by the time we do see the pics though it will be historical as Im sure all these issues will be rectified ASAP.

I do hope so as we are in a spa cabin (the ones that are reportedly leaking water) as I will not have my children around electrical leads and leaking water!!!

I think that the issues have been with the newly added cabins on decks 9-12.

I think that the issues have been with the newly added cabins on decks 9-12.

That is what I was affraid of. I am on deck 11. Fingers crossed that these problems are addressed before next Friday.

Could it be possible that the roll call group had a meeting and discussed not sending an update or pictures because they are trying to get this "settled" on board.

I find it very odd that my DS has not checked in as of yet especially because her first DGC was born only 3 weeks ago.

The naysayers don't give up --- even when presented with facts !!!:eek:

Honestly, I'm only familiar with the facts that I've experienced. They are well documented here.

Perhaps you'd like to enlighten us as to your OWN refund experiences?

As far as being presented with "facts", well, it's a matter of credibility. I believe Sarg even though we've gone toe to toe for many years. He has been and (I believe) will continue to be a presence here. I haven't been as fortunate. Does that make my experience less believable? What is it that you don't believe about my problem with OBC refunds?

I'll wait.....................................

Could it be possible that the roll call group had a meeting and discussed not sending an update or pictures because they are trying to get this "settled" on board.

I find it very odd that my DS has not checked in as of yet especially because her first DGC was born only 3 weeks ago.

Roll call groups in my past experience have very little (read that as none) pull. Hopefully, it is because they are having a great time. Sometimes, especially in Europe, it is hard to call home, due to differences in cell phone technologies. When we did our Med cruise, folks back home were worried because we had not checked in.

Honestly, I'm only familiar with the facts that I've experienced. They are well documented here.

Perhaps you'd like to enlighten us as to your OWN refund experiences?

As far as being presented with "facts", well, it's a matter of credibility. I believe Sarg even though we've gone toe to toe for many years. He has been and (I believe) will continue to be a presence here. I haven't been as fortunate. Does that make my experience less believable? What is it that you don't believe about my problem with OBC refunds?

I'll wait.....................................

I don't believe I referred to you or any individual in my post.

My personal experiences are not subjects I will discuss with you.

Back on the orginal topic just for a second, i have a conference call with with the UK sales director this afternoon. So i will post any info that i dig up about the Sunshine.

My company are getting call after call about customers with future bookings on the Sunshine. So we need to start getting answers about the fixes etc.

Back on the orginal topic just for a second, i have a conference call with with the UK sales director this afternoon. So i will post any info that i dig up about the Sunshine.

My company are getting call after call about customers with future bookings on the Sunshine. So we need to start getting answers about the fixes etc.

Thats great thank you so much!! We are on the June 7th sailing and Im praying and hoping the waterpark will be open by then!!

The 7 June 2013 cruise from Barcelona is our first ever cruise and we are quite concerned at the reports appearing in this thread. They sound plausible and we are astonished that Carnival, with all its documented problems, would allow the Sunshine to sail with refitting works still incomplete. We do not appear to be talking about minor glitches that one could expect after a refit.

I look forward to more information from HoganUK. We certainly will not be impressed if our June cruise is similarly beset with problems and we will be putting Carnival on notice.

I cant wait to hear back from you .. greatly appreicate it

Hi Guys,

Just had a call with the guys from Carnival who have advised of a couple of updates regards the issues passengers are experiencing on the Sunshine, i will list as many as i can remember.

*The Lido Pool/Waterworks and Top Deck issues are all well underway being fixed and they fully expect that all attractions will be open and in full service within the next 48 hours (at the time the ship will be arriving in Livorno)

*All cabins have been credited with $150

*Some passengers have disambarked, and this is at the customers own cost, Carnival have given the option for passengers to stay onboard and have a gesture of goodwill credit against the any next cruise

*They have been let down significantly by a few teams during the dry dock which made the completion time impossible. The top deck was to be completed in the final week of the dry dock, but whats discribed as "unsually wet weather" has been over mid/east europe which made the task completing impossible. They are basically a week behind completing the work.

*Work on the "new" cabins between decks 9-11 are being treated on an indivual basis and the engineers will not leave the ship until all cabins are fixed.

All in all, they fully expect the next sailing on the 17th from Barcelona to go ahead with a fully operational ship!

This info probably wont help most, but its all i could get for you!

Fingers crossed that the next sailing will go to plan, but it does seem that the guys on the current 5th May sailing have been the guinea pigs for this ship!!

Hi Guys,

Just had a call with the guys from Carnival who have advised of a couple of updates regards the issues passengers are experiencing on the Sunshine, i will list as many as i can remember.

*The Lido Pool/Waterworks and Top Deck issues are all well underway being fixed and they fully expect that all attractions will be open and in full service within the next 48 hours (at the time the ship will be arriving in Livorno)

*Some passengers have disambarked, and this is at the customers own cost, Carnival have given the option for passengers to stay onboard and have a gesture of goodwill credit against the any next cruise

*They have been let down significantly by a few teams during the dry dock which made the completion time impossible. The top deck was to be completed in the final week of the dry dock, but whats discribed as "unsually wet weather" has been over mid/east europe which made the task completing impossible. They are basically a week behind completing the work.

*Work on the "new" cabins between decks 9-11 are being treated on an indivual basis and the engineers will not leave the ship until all cabins are fixed.

All in all, they fully expect the next sailing on the 17th from Barcelona to go ahead with a fully operational ship!

Fingers crossed that the next sailing will go to plan, but it does seem that the guys on the current 5th May sailing have been the guinea pigs for this ship!!

This might be a dumb question but if the water issues are happening on decks 9-11, how does that affect deck 8?

This might be a dumb question but if the water issues are happening on decks 9-11, how does that affect deck 8?

I didnt ask. It was more an overview of the main issues. I think the issues are with the new cabins of the partial deck?? Dont know though.

I received a very short e-mail today from my DS on board the Sunshine. She just said that there room has been changed and they had a great time in Venice. That's it, and that they will write again in a couple of days.

Hi Guys,

Thats great news. Thanks a million!!!!

Archived