8 ships in port

From what I could find there will be 8 ships in port the day we are in St Martin. We have thought about renting ATVs and doing a self guided tour....

with this many ships in port anyone have any thougths on this?

Would we be better off with private tour guide?

Thanks!

WOW...8 ships in port! Yeah that island is gonna be BUSY! When I was there we had 2 other ships in port with us and it seemed busy. We hired a private tour guide and we were glad we did. We got to go to some of the less traveled places on the island.

I would rent a car and go to a lesser known beach. I would not tour the island or visit Maho or Orient that is for sure. If the ATV's go on the road then I wouldn't choose to do that either with 8 ships in port. A day on the sea might be another good option for you.

With that many ships, I'd choose Joyce Prince for a private tour. She is diligent about getting you back on time. She has lived on St Maarten her whole life and knows the island inside and out. She does a great job! :)

Thanks for the replies...I do think we will go with the private tour guide to be safe!!! We hate to stay on the ship since this will be our first time to St Martin and want to experience as much of it as we can!

Many options before staying on the ship in St. Maarten. I find that so many people go to the same few spots instead of spreading out. Also if you plan on touring for 4 hours just make sure that you are not coming back at the same time as everyone else. A little extra thought and planning is required for days such as an 8 ship day on any island really.

There will be literally thousands at Orient and hundreds at Maho. You might want to consider renting a car, learning about the island, and planning your day in advance - avoiding Orient and Maho. There are lots of good, uncrowned beaches on the island. Two points to consider - if you do want to rent a car, reserve in advance, so you will have it. I'd suggest Hertz -they have a facility right at the pier, and are more reliable than some of the small local operations. Also, plan you day so yo will be on the east side of the island, perhaps coming down from Gallion or Dawn Beach at the end, rather than trying to get through Phillipsburg in the crazy afternoon traffic.

We opted to go to Mullet Bay. We can walk to Maho to check out the jets before we head back to the boat.

JM

The OP stated that there is 8 ships in port. Your plan would not be advisable on a day such as that IMHO.

The OP stated that there is 8 ships in port. Your plan would not be advisable on a day such as that IMHO.

I agree. I was there with one ship and while it wasnt packed, it was fairly busy still. 2 Ships would be pushing it. 8? I can't even imagine how crowded it will be. At least 20,000 people visiting just from ships alone no an island with a population of around 75000..

If they plan on Maho, I would plan on a scenic ride afterwards around the Island to the East side to avoid Phillipsburg traffic later.

I agree. I was there with one ship and while it wasnt packed, it was fairly busy still. 2 Ships would be pushing it. 8? I can't even imagine how crowded it will be. At least 20,000 people visiting just from ships alone no an island with a population of around 75000..

If they plan on Maho, I would plan on a scenic ride afterwards around the Island to the East side to avoid Phillipsburg traffic later.

First it's the Simpson Bay traffic and then Phillipsburg traffic. Too much for me to deal with on vacation! They need to get a cruiseship pier in Marigot. 8 ships in Phillipsburg is 3 too many IMO.

First it's the Simpson Bay traffic and then Phillipsburg traffic. Too much for me to deal with on vacation! They need to get a cruiseship pier in Marigot. 8 ships in Phillipsburg is 3 too many IMO.

True. Its a double whammy of traffic coming back that way.

With that many cruisers on the island doing tours and such, I wouldn't recommend first time visitors renting a car to do it on their own.

I'd recommend the best option, if they can afford it, would be a private tour from Bernard or Joyce Prince. After that, Bernard's group tour is hard to beat.

Visits may be cut short because of traffic, but they would get you back to the ship on time.

The OP's want to experience as much as they can, so it's not time for a taxi to a beach and back, this trip.

gary

With that many cruisers on the island doing tours and such, I wouldn't recommend first time visitors renting a car to do it on their own.

I'd recommend the best option, if they can afford it, would be a private tour from Bernard or Joyce Prince. After that, Bernard's group tour is hard to beat.

Visits may be cut short because of traffic, but they would get you back to the ship on time.

The OP's want to experience as much as they can, so it's not time for a taxi to a beach and back, this trip.

gary

As long as the private tour doesn't include Orient and then a drive to Maho and then back to the ship I guess that's an ok option. No matter who is driving that itinerary is just a no go for an 8 ship day IMHO. They may know where they are going but they are still going on the same roads as everyone else. Too many other options then to plan a tour to the obvious touristy places IMO.

Too many other options then to plan a tour to the obvious touristy places IMO.

what other options do you suggest on a day when there will be 6 ships in port? We will be in port from 8-6 according to our vacation summary. I don't want to risk missing all aboard but would love to visit a beach at least. Thank you so much!

what other options do you suggest on a day when there will be 6 ships in port? We will be in port from 8-6 according to our vacation summary. I don't want to risk missing all aboard but would love to visit a beach at least. Thank you so much!

What month will you be visiting? Will you want to go by taxi or is renting a car something that you would consider? How many people and are any kids?

We can help you more if we know the answers to these questions.

My first advice regardless of the above answers would be to avoid the Simpson Bay, and Maho/mullet areas because of traffic, oh and of course I would not swim in Great Bay.

What month will you be visiting? Will you want to go by taxi or is renting a car something that you would consider? How many people and are any kids?

My DH and I will be there on Wednesday, Nov 20 on Norwegian Gem - docking at 8am & leaving at 6pm. I think a taxi would be better especially with thousands of people there that day. A couple of the ships in port are huge! No kids, just the 2 of us. And I'd rather the water be fairly calm. I hate battling waves. Thanks for your help!

My DH and I will be there on Wednesday, Nov 20 on Norwegian Gem - docking at 8am & leaving at 6pm. I think a taxi would be better especially with thousands of people there that day. A couple of the ships in port are huge! No kids, just the 2 of us. And I'd rather the water be fairly calm. I hate battling waves. Thanks for your help!

Wednesday's and Saturdays are the best market days in Marigot ( fruit and veggie, spice, crafts and souvenier vendors are there in full swing). Therefore that would be where I would suggest that you go first.

For a beach after that I would suggest Le Gallion. The only issue here would be to leave enough time to walk 300 yards to the main road ( super easy) going to Orient in case the driver does not come back for you. No way to get stranded as with 6 ships in the taxis will be going back and forth to Orient all day long.

Another place that may be what you are looking for would be Le Petite Plage beach in Grand Case. You can have lunch at the wonderful Sunset Cafe and enjoy the lovely beach there all in one stop. You will need more time to get back to the ship from here because it's farther from port but you will escape the crowds and also avoid the traffic jam areas of Simpson Bay and Phillipsburg.

All of the above actually avoids those really congested areas.

• 3 weeks later...
With that many ships, I'd choose Joyce Prince for a private tour. She is diligent about getting you back on time. She has lived on St Maarten her whole life and knows the island inside and out. She does a great job! :)

How much does Joyce Prince charge for a tour?

Archived