Gem Aft-facing minisuite questions

Other than the amazing aft view, are there any differences between the aft-facing minisuites, as compared to side-facing ones? Specifically, I'm trying to determine if the balconies are larger, and if so, are there any specific stateroom numbers that are better than others. I realize that the accessible minis are larger with a larger balcony but I am looking to compare the non-accessible minis please.

Also, are there any concerns about noise late at night when cleaning the Great Outdoors area?

Any thoughts or info welcome!

Thanks in advance. :)

Thanks, Camz, but all the minis are on Deck 11, and I really need the extra space and better bathroom of the mini. ;)

We have a mini booked on the Gem for October 2014 cabin #11150. Sorry I did not know there were no minis on Deck 10. :o We were on the Gem in an aft facing balcony cabin on Deck 10 and the balcony was nice but we did not have a lounger. We had two chairs, one would fold back to make a partial lounger and a chair.

We heard chairs sliding while cleaning above in the early morning. Not a deal breaker though.

Thanks for that info. Glad to know it wasn't bad enough to be a deal breaker. ;)

I had searched before starting this thread, and didn't come up with any real answers. I tried searching again with a few different combinations of words, and did come up with one thread that indicated the positioning of the bed and couch were different in 11154, and that there was no curtain between the bed and the couch. It also indicated that not all of the aft minis were the same size (not referring to the accessible ones) and that 11154 was larger than the others. Can anyone confirm these bits of info?

Anyone have any comments in general on the aft minis? We're currently booked in a mini far forward underneath the salon, but I'm really tempted by that aft view. Struggling with this decision, and really looking for any feedback from folks who've stayed in the aft minis.

Thanks!

Good grief, no specifics for Waldos Pepper yet! :eek: Waldos helps everyone out so much that I wanted to bounch this thread back up in hopes someone has the information needed. Sorry, wish I knew more to help. :o

Good grief, no specifics for Waldos Pepper yet! :eek: Waldos helps everyone out so much that I wanted to bounch this thread back up in hopes someone has the information needed. Sorry, wish I knew more to help. :o

You're so sweet! :D

I really am struggling with this decision and would just love to have some folks chime in. Please? :)

We've been on the aft a couple of times. Last time on the jewel we were upsold to a 2 bedroom forward. Didn't miss the aft view much. It made the Great Outdoors that much nicer.

Also, under the salon will be much quieter. If there is a big cost difference I wouldn't bother. JMO

I know you said you like the extra space, but we prefer an aft balcony on deck 10 over an aft mini on 11.

Meant to add what I did miss about the aft was sailing north to NY the last two days. In the winter months with the sun in the southern sky you get sun and no wind on your balcony all day.

My family had several of the aft minis a few years ago. From my poor recollection, they were all pretty much the same size except for the one on the end (I think it was 11150). There may have been some slight differences in the sizes of the other ones, but it didn't seem significant to me. You might want to check out the picture at the following URL which says it's 11154 (forgive me if this doesn't work, I'm not sure that I've ever tried to post a link before).

http://cruises.about.com/od/norwegiangem/ig/Norwegian-Gem-Cabins---Suites/Norwegian-Gem-Mini-Suite---AF.htm

I do recall hearing the chairs scraping in the Great Outdoors in the wee hours of the morning (like around 4AM) but I'm a notoriously bad, light sleeper so hopefully it won't bother anyone who sleeps normally.

Good luck!

We've been on the aft a couple of times. Last time on the jewel we were upsold to a 2 bedroom forward. Didn't miss the aft view much. It made the Great Outdoors that much nicer.

Also, under the salon will be much quieter. If there is a big cost difference I wouldn't bother. JMO

I know you said you like the extra space, but we prefer an aft balcony on deck 10 over an aft mini on 11.

Meant to add what I did miss about the aft was sailing north to NY the last two days. In the winter months with the sun in the southern sky you get sun and no wind on your balcony all day.

Thanks so much for your excellent input! The sun on the balcony while traveling north is definitely one of the reasons I'm considering moving to the aft.

We've sailed in an OS, and absolutely loved the forward-facing balcony, particularly when sailing into and out of ports. So far, the only experience we haven't had is the aft, which is what is leaning us more and more toward moving into one of the aft minis.

Our DS will be in the room with us, which is why we chose a mini over a balcony. He's 6'5" and having the extra space for him and all his stuff is important. :eek: I'd love to have the space of the larger balconies on 10, but alas those are already sold-out anyway. :(

At this point I guess what I'm really needing to know is if all the aft minis have the bed next to the balcony, are missing the curtain between the bed and the couch, and whether or not some of the regular (non-accessible) aft minis are smaller than others. I could certainly ask my wonderful PCC, but we all know that CC members provide far better information about staterooms than even the best PCC. ;)

EDIT: I know I could solve all these problems by simply booking an Aft Penthouse, but the increase is just not in the budget for this particular sailing!

My family had several of the aft minis a few years ago. From my poor recollection, they were all pretty much the same size except for the one on the end (I think it was 11150). There may have been some slight differences in the sizes of the other ones, but it didn't seem significant to me. You might want to check out the picture at the following URL which says it's 11154 (forgive me if this doesn't work, I'm not sure that I've ever tried to post a link before).

http://cruises.about.com/od/norwegiangem/ig/Norwegian-Gem-Cabins---Suites/Norwegian-Gem-Mini-Suite---AF.htm

I do recall hearing the chairs scraping in the Great Outdoors in the wee hours of the morning (like around 4AM) but I'm a notoriously bad, light sleeper so hopefully it won't bother anyone who sleeps normally.

Good luck!

Thank you!!!!! I'm happy to know that any size differences didn't seem to be obvious. That helps a LOT!

The stateroom in the link you provided is 11514, which is a side-facing mini. I was able to find a thread here that showed 11154, which does have the bed closest to the balcony, and has no curtain between the bed and the couch. Can you recall if all the minis your family had were set up this way?

The sound of the chairs scraping probably won't bother us, because by the time we go to sleep on a cruise we're usually dog-tired and sleep like dead people! :D

My recollection was that there definitely was a curtain between the bed and the sofa and the sofa was closest to the balcony. Unfortunately the battery in my laptop is dying so I've got to sign off but will check again later.

Good luck!

:)

OK, I've emailed the rest of the group to see if their recollections confirm/deny mine. Better yet, I've asked them if they have any pictures of that trip. My brother and father are both photo buffs so I'm sure they have something, it's just a question of finding it. I think we had all the non-accessible aft minis on deck 11 so we should be able to answer this, but my recollection doesn't seem to jibe with other information out there. I'm almost positive that my immediate family was in the adjoining mini-suites (11154 & 11156) with the rest of the extended family being in the other minis. I remember being concerned about the layout as the kids liked to use the sofa area for their own version of "kids club" and would close off that area with the curtain (so there definitely was a curtain). I didn't like it because they would have easy access to the balcony and they were under age 10.:eek: In fact, I remember liking the layout of 11150 better because the bed was closer to the balcony. I may be confusing it with the Jewel trip where we were in minis too but not in the aft. This is driving me crazy now so I'm determined to find the answer (with some help)!!!

:)

OK, I've emailed the rest of the group to see if their recollections confirm/deny mine. Better yet, I've asked them if they have any pictures of that trip. My brother and father are both photo buffs so I'm sure they have something, it's just a question of finding it. I think we had all the non-accessible aft minis on deck 11 so we should be able to answer this, but my recollection doesn't seem to jibe with other information out there. I'm almost positive that my immediate family was in the adjoining mini-suites (11154 & 11156) with the rest of the extended family being in the other minis. I remember being concerned about the layout as the kids liked to use the sofa area for their own version of "kids club" and would close off that area with the curtain (so there definitely was a curtain). I didn't like it because they would have easy access to the balcony and they were under age 10.:eek: In fact, I remember liking the layout of 11150 better because the bed was closer to the balcony. I may be confusing it with the Jewel trip where we were in minis too but not in the aft. This is driving me crazy now so I'm determined to find the answer (with some help)!!!

You are the BEST!!! Thank you so much for going to such lengths to help me. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. Very much looking forward to seeing what your reinforcements come up with! :D

I stayed aft on the Gem and didn't notice any noise from the garden cafe. However, there was trash sometimes thrown from above and it landed on my balcony.

Cigarette butts as well. But that didnt happen every day and i still would sail aft

I loved the view and the cabin

Enjoy!!

I stayed aft on the Gem and didn't notice any noise from the garden cafe. However, there was trash sometimes thrown from above and it landed on my balcony.

Cigarette butts as well. But that didnt happen every day and i still would sail aft

Enjoy!!

I stayed in an aft on the Jewel and woke up one morning to a steak on my balcony lol I just used a fork and threw it over board. A nice treat for the fish lol

Enjoy!!

It seems everybody raves about the aft, which is one of the reasons we are inclined to move to one of those minis.

I do often hear of trash being found on the balconies, and I think perhaps it's not intentionally thrown overboard, but more likely is picked up by the wind. I had this happen to me at the Great Outdoors on the Star and I was mortified when the paper flew off the table and sailed overboard! :eek: One of the crew members who saw it happen, and realized how upset I was told me not to worry, because it would land on a balcony below. ;)

I stayed in an aft on the Jewel and woke up one morning to a steak on my balcony lol I just used a fork and threw it over board. A nice treat for the fish lol

A steak! Yeah, THAT was intentional! I'll bet you were some surprised to find that! :(

This thread is a good example of why I enjoy CC so much.

Agreed! It's amazing the lengths some folks will go to in order to help a stranger. I'm very grateful for all the information being provided!

I so wish that I could help you! I am considering a mini for the Inaugural Getaway TA. I hope you get the answers you are looking for!

Cherie

Thanks, Cherie. I hope you have a fabulous time on the TA! :D

A steak! Yeah, THAT was intentional! I'll bet you were some surprised to find that! :(

The Great Outdoors was 2 decks above and everynight around 2:30am they clean the deck. I know that for a fact bc I slept everynight with the balcony door open and everynight we were woken by the splashing of water onto the deck. Every morning the deck was wet.

Agreed! It's amazing the lengths some folks will go to in order to help a stranger. I'm very grateful for all the information being provided!

Thanks, Cherie. I hope you have a fabulous time on the TA! :D

I will be on the Gem next week and I will find any answers to your questions that remain. We are doing a cabin crawl, but I do not think we have a mini as of yet. I do plan on a meeting with the HD, and I will ask whatever questions you would have. I can see if any are open, and if so maybe I could get some pictures for you. Just let me know what cabin you are interested in, and if they are occupied, I will offer to show my GV if they show me their MS!

Hope this will help you! You do so much to help others, it would be my pleasure to help you!

Cherie

I will be on the Gem next week and I will find any answers to your questions that remain. We are doing a cabin crawl, but I do not think we have a mini as of yet. I do plan on a meeting with the HD, and I will ask whatever questions you would have. I can see if any are open, and if so maybe I could get some pictures for you. Just let me know what cabin you are interested in, and if they are occupied, I will offer to show my GV if they show me their MS!

Hope this will help you! You do so much to help others, it would be my pleasure to help you!

Cherie

Who's better than you? :D What a great offer of help!!!

I'm specifically interested in 11154 and 11156. If you somehow manage to get photos of those rooms that would be amazing! I'm still trying to figure out if they are the same size, if they have the curtain between the bed and couch, and if the bed is closer to the balcony or not. Any info you can find would be soooooooo appreciated! OMG you are just the BEST!!!!! :D:D:D

Archived