Port advice please iles of pines, noumea,lautoka,and suva.

Were in a group of 7 on soltice 23 october and have a few questions after reading post on here, ive done noumea twice before and want to do something different this time actually want to get away from noumea can you go to another island in a private tour , the ameedee lighthouse looks good but very expensive for 7 people through ships tours, and iles of pines is there much to do there on your own is there a nice swimming beach near ship tenders, and i heard suva not that great but i heard you can get private tours does it have good shopping anywere or markets and def need duty free and i heard from lautoka get a taxi for approx $20 to port denarau to go to resorts is there any shopping there and can you get a PRIVATE TOUR AT LAUTOKAand were is the place out of s these stops for duty free as this time were not going to Vila Thanks for all help and whats the weather going to be like in october doing lifou as well but that will just be a walking days and swimming day with snorkelling....

Were in a group of 7 on soltice 23 october and have a few questions after reading post on here, ive done noumea twice before and want to do something different this time actually want to get away from noumea can you go to another island in a private tour , the ameedee lighthouse looks good but very expensive for 7 people through ships tours, and iles of pines is there much to do there on your own is there a nice swimming beach near ship tenders, and i heard suva not that great but i heard you can get private tours does it have good shopping anywere or markets and def need duty free and i heard from lautoka get a taxi for approx $20 to port denarau to go to resorts is there any shopping there and can you get a PRIVATE TOUR AT LAUTOKAand were is the place out of s these stops for duty free as this time were not going to Vila Thanks for all help and whats the weather going to be like in october doing lifou as well but that will just be a walking days and swimming day with snorkelling....

A few things I have written about Isle of Pines, Noumea and Suva

http://pacificpearltotahiti.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/isle-of-pines-new-caledonia.html

http://pacificpearltotahiti.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/noumea-new-caledonia.html

http://pacificpearltotahiti.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/suva-fiji.html

Barry

Noumea - There are tours on offer in the cruise terminal, but if you want to do a a tour for just your group, you might have to contact companies and negotiate before your cruise. Amadee Island doesn't work out for a private tour because the tours get back too late for you to catch the ship. If you want to do Amadee, I suggest going with the ship's tour.

Isle of Pines - There are two beaches. The first one on the left is great for swimming, particularly for children. The sand slopes down very gradually so it doesn't get deep quickly. The sand is like white talcum powder and there is shade on the beach from trees. The second beach (about 600m from the tender) is on the right near the Sacred Rock. This is where most people go because there they go snorkelling there. Sand and shade as at the first beach, but here the bottom slopes away (not dramatically). Snorkelling is very close to the beach.

Suva - The 'duty free' is ridiculously expensive in Fiji ($82.50 for a litre of vodka). The only real duty free is at the airport for international departures. Most of the taxis are sedans and wouldn't accommodate your group for a private tour. Consider going to the Arts Village where there is a fantastic song/dance show and cultural exhibits. It is better than my description makes it sound! I don't have their email address. When we went with our family group we asked them to pick us up at the ship and return us. I think the whole day including transport cost around $75pp. The tour we did at the village was much more extensive than the short one the ship's tour does. Markets in Suva - walk to the right when you leave the wharf area, cross the bridge (near the Chinese fishing fleet) and at the next road on your left cross over the road. The market is in a low-set building with a blue roof. The sign says "Handicraft". In that building and the ground floor of the multi-level carpark next door, there would be close to 100 stalls. Bargain starting at about one-quarter of the asking price and end up at half. Best of luck.

Lautoka/Port Denarau - I would get a taxi and ask them to take you on a tour. Suggestions - Garden of the Sleeping Giant (orchids), Hindu temple in Nadi, ask to go to a village. Ladies need to wear pants/skirts below the knee to go into a village and at the temple they will ask what you had for breakfast. If it is any animal products (bacon or milk for cereal) you will not be allowed in. Cost of a taxi should be around AUD$20 per hour after bargaining. Stress that you are talking AUD, otherwise they will think you are offering FJD which is much much less and they will laugh at you.

Weather in October should be as good as it gets. Like Goldilocks said "Not too hot and not too cold".:D

The clothes shopping at Port Denarau is very good too . ( Fiji has a clothes manufacturing industry). Being a resort area, I thought that they would be mega-expensive -- but not so. If I ever go back to Port Denarau, I will be taking a wad of money to buy men's clothes there - also the fish is cheap to eat at the wharf area as is the beer!!!! In fact, my experience at Port Denarau is that everything is cheap :)

Barry

The clothes shopping at Port Denarau is very good too . ( Fiji has a clothes manufacturing industry). Being a resort area, I thought that they would be mega-expensive -- but not so. If I ever go back to Port Denarau, I will be taking a wad of money to buy men's clothes there - also the fish is cheap to eat at the wharf area as is the beer!!!! In fact, my experience at Port Denarau is that everything is cheap :)

Barry

The pies from the pie shop in the Port Denarau port complex are delicious.:) There is usually a party going on at the Hard Rock Cafe as passengers enjoy the cheap beer.

Thanks so if i make iles of pines a lazy beach day and at lautoka take a taxi for about $20 aus to port denarau is that $20 per person or $20 per car, then shop there and maybe go to resorts for a swim and lunch ive heard sheraton is good has anyone done this is it allowed and def in suva do a tour as with noumea, thanks

Archived