48 Hours Mystery

Anyone catch tonight's (5/11) episode of "48 Hours Mystery"? It was about the death of the young man on his honeymoon aboard the Brilliance of the Seas in 2005. I remember reading something about it back then and the story made for an interesting program.

OP,

Yes I saw the show. I mean this is YEARS old news and it didn't seem as though there was really that much new to add. I remember when it happened and it's been on the TV several times since, but I thought tonight there was "new evidence" and it seemed to me "same stuff different day."

I missed this post and started a new one. I agree with bighairTexan. Nothing new.

I disagree with matj2000. This is not a black eye for RC. The people involved are responsible and there is enough blame to go around. And as they concluded, alcohol was a big contributor to the events.

I think that Carnival Cruise Lines holds the record for the most black eyes!!

True!! The people involved were responsible, not RCCL. We cruised on the same ship a couple of weeks before the incident and had a great time. The Brilliance is a beautiful ship, and had a great staff and captain!! :)

Another black eye for RC...

Actually this program didn't attribute much, if any, blame to RCI and was more focused on trying to pressure the FBI into reexamining the case. None of the family's (or George's widdow's) claims related to RCI's handling of the matter,made at the time of the initial investigation made it into this report. Actually, there didn't seem to be any "news" that wasn't available to the public years ago at the time of the incident and the speculation from both sides made up most of the accounting. I'm not sure that the show shed any real new light on the matter.

Yeah... you don't ever have anything positive to say... do you? :D

LMAO, I was just about to say the exact same thing too! The OP was letting people know that a show was going to air info about it. But jeez, sounds like someone is just posting short, one line sentences with no value to anyone or even important to the topic, in order to up their post count here on CC :rolleyes:

Now, to the OP, hopefully I can find the clip online. We don't get 48 Hours on air over here in Germany ;) if someone has a good link, please share!

I watched as well. Oddly, it seemed to me that RCI made more progress in their investigation of the incident than the Turkish authorities or the FBI... that was my impression at least.

I am glad to hear that the FBI's NY field office will take another look at the case, couldn't hurt.

I found it very interesting that these 4 young men had made a video on a cell phone after the fact and where making fun of how "George was given a paragliding lesson without a parachute". Why would you make that statement if you weren't there and knew 'nothing' about a person's death/disappearance? I would say it's pretty clear these 4 were there when something went down.

>Mattj2000 - this is an 8 year old story. We had just cruised in June of 2005 and returned when this happened and hit the news. I've always kept up with the story. It wasn't another black eye for RC. They did a thorough investigation as well as any cruise ship could have done in this situation. When people get drunk off their tushes, nearly anything can happen and it does. Just in case you really haven't read a lot of news lately, I would say the 'other' cruise line has about 99% way more black eyes. ;) Just sayin....

Another black eye for RC...

Say What?

An 8 year old case having to do with a few individuals, one or more of them who probably did something negligent and maybe criminal, dredged up for a TV show. It had nothing to do with the cruise line.

Good lord.

Say What?

An 8 year old case having to do with a few individuals, one or more of them who probably did something negligent and maybe criminal, dredged up for a TV show. It had nothing to do with the cruise line.

Good lord.

In all honesty, the show seemed 40% investigative journalism, 60% advertisement for cruising Greece on RCCL. All the gorgeous at sea footage, and the bits of sightseeing photos. Really, I don't think the show is going to dissuade anyone from cruising. Although, it might be seen as a cautionary tale against getting really drunk and bragging about how much cash you brought on board... Not in a blame the victim way, just in a don't do that sort of way.

The one thing NEVER mentioned, or, I did not hear it, get mentioned, was that R.C.C.L. paid $1,000,000.00

to Jennifer.....

I STILL see where there was NO FAULT of R.C.C.L.

They paid up anyway, and, all the rest of us pay in cruise fare price increases... :mad:

Other than those young men are a bit arrogant and said some really stupid stuff - I still don't see evidence of murder. After that drunk girl fell off Carnival recently when I think it is very possible this guy fell off. Maybe he too was "trying to get a better view of the stars". Who knows. If he was killed, I sure hope someone is held accountable. But I have never been convinced - and I am usually not skeptical!

>Mattj2000 - this is an 8 year old story. We had just cruised in June of 2005 and returned when this happened and hit the news. I've always kept up with the story. It wasn't another black eye for RC. They did a thorough investigation as well as any cruise ship could have done in this situation. When people get drunk off their tushes, nearly anything can happen and it does. Just in case you really haven't read a lot of news lately, I would say the 'other' cruise line has about 99% way more black eyes. ;) Just sayin....

I am familiar with the story and realize it was the passengers fault.

I just like to say that because it really gets a rise from many the of the RC elitist on this site..

In all honesty, the show seemed 40% investigative journalism, 60% advertisement for cruising Greece on RCCL. All the gorgeous at sea footage, and the bits of sightseeing photos. Really, I don't think the show is going to dissuade anyone from cruising. Although, it might be seen as a cautionary tale against getting really drunk and bragging about how much cash you brought on board... Not in a blame the victim way, just in a don't do that sort of way.

I think you are on the right track, but overly generous with the percentage you attribute to journalism.

They pulled some pretty amateurish tricks like [among other things] zooming on on the blood stains to make them look bigger, only showing the answers and then trying to make the speaker sound evasive, treating the family's hired gun like an impartial investigator and in general suggesting a lot more than was delivered. Reminds me of the show several years ago where the producers set a firecracker next to an open gas tank allegedly showing how a certain pickup truck was likely to burst into flames. That was NBC, but they are interchangeable.

I heard nothing meaningful that was new.

I just like to say that because it really gets a rise from many the of the RC elitist on this site..

I'm guessing that maybe you don't have children? I have 3 sons. (18, 22, 27) I would be beyond words with devastation if this were one of my wonderful sons. I cherish each one of them and love them unconditionally and don't know how I would go on. I can't imagine receiving that phone call that would inform me my son was dead but we can't find his body? Our oldest completed 2 Iraq tours and 2 in Afghanistan with the USMC. We were always holding our breath that we would receive that phone call or a USMC would knock on our front door informing us that our son was dead. He's now out of the Marine Corp now only because he was injured. (brain damage to be exact). We do have our son back but these parents never even received a body. I just can't imagine anything worse in life knowing my son is dead but no clue where his body is or how he even died.

Maybe Matt this will help you understand why I hold this story close to my heart as a mom. It's not really because it's related to RCCL,it's because a young man lost his life and no one seems to know why yet. How extremely sad for this family.

I'm guessing that maybe you don't have children? I have 3 sons. (18, 22, 27) I would be beyond words with devastation if this were one of my wonderful sons. I cherish each one of them and love them unconditionally and don't know how I would go on. I can't imagine receiving that phone call that would inform me my son was dead but we can't find his body? Our oldest completed 2 Iraq tours and 2 in Afghanistan with the USMC. We were always holding our breath that we would receive that phone call or a USMC would knock on our front door informing us that our son was dead. He's now out of the Marine Corp now only because he was injured. (brain damage to be exact). We do have our son back but these parents never even received a body. I just can't imagine anything worse in life knowing my son is dead but no clue where his body is or how he even died.

Maybe Matt this will help you understand why I hold this story close to my heart as a mom. It's not really because it's related to RCCL,it's because a young man lost his life and no one seems to know why yet. How extremely sad for this family.

Amen, thank you for sharing. It was a horrible thing for sure, it was someone's family member that is missing and still a mystery as to what happened.

One thing though that is a common trend in any type of industry-related death, including cruises, is that people in the U.S. tend to automatically blame everyone else but themselves. In other countries, even here in Europe, they carefully weigh everything before putting fault on a company first. Here in Germany, sure you can drive any speed on unrestricted parts of many autobahn freeways. However, if your car has tires not rated to withstand such speeds above 120 mph, and you pop a tire and cause an accident, it's your fault. Not the manufacturer's fault. It's the driver's fault.

I have a hard time when people blame a cruise line when they've: A) consumed a large amount of alcohol and B) display risky behavior and put themselves into danger near a ship's railing by leaning, jumping, crawling over, or climbing up it to sit on it.

Put those two things together, how can a cruiseline be responsible for an adult that willingly chooses to drink to excess? Even if bartenders cut them off from being served at any bar on board, what's stopping the person to immediately going to a railing and jumping off? Or going to their balcony cabin, and climbing over the railing to get a "better view" of the ship.

And, in the event of an accident, a cruise line does everything they can to help in the investigation, how can they be given a black eye for someone else's risky behavior that ended in a missing person's case or death? One question always creeps up on me -- could it be that people want to commit suicide on a cruise? Leave their family money to get insurance companies to pay out due to the "accident"?

Archived