Gratuities on UK sailings

We have pre paid the gratuities but were wondering what extra cash tips we may encounter on the cruise and whether we make them in pounds, euros or dollars.

I had been wondering the same but thought as the ship uses dollars as currency and the ship I am sailing on goes between the UK and US I have got some dollars for extra tipping :)

The currency on the ship is dollars, so we always take some extra dollars in cash if we wish to tip someone in addition to the prepaid gratuities.

If you're thinking about leaving tips in restaurants in ports, or tipping a tour guide in a port, then take some Euros.

If you order room service, you would tip the person who brings your order in cash - $2-5 depending on how much you order. If you receive exceptional service from a waiter or room steward, you might want to give a bit extra at the end.

The currency on the ship is dollars, so we always take some extra dollars in cash if we wish to tip someone in addition to the prepaid gratuities.

If you're thinking about leaving tips in restaurants in ports, or tipping a tour guide in a port, then take some Euros.

Thanks, better get some dollars for the ship! Just got to decide how much we'll need lol.

If you have pre paid then you will only need extra cash for tips if you decide you wish to tip extra.

Sailing from Europe we have tipped in both dollars and Euro's, we don't normally use pounds.

We usually use dollars, as this is what it the currency on board the ship is and easier for the crew to exchange and use on board.

If you buy a drink on board, the gratuity is already added to that but some do tip extra on that too.

We tip extra to the Stateroom Attendant, Waiter and Assistant waiter at the end of the cruise as their do a great job. You receive envelopes in the room on the last day to do this should you so wish.

As mentioned, if you order room service it is customary to tip the person who delivers it.

I tip cabin attendant extra and also room service waiters and will use dollars. Then if I use any service and am happy with it I will tip as I know the salaries on board are poor.

We're used to travelling to the USA and so are happy with tipping but are new to cruising and were not sure of what to expect. Thanks for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wondering if you tip extra to the waiter, room attendant etc daily or at end of cruise. Also, someone mentioned $2-5 for room service but what would be an acceptable tip for drink servers at the pool etc? I'm trying to work out how many dollars I'll need for a 12 night cruise.

Just wondering if you tip extra to the waiter, room attendant etc daily or at end of cruise. Also, someone mentioned $2-5 for room service but what would be an acceptable tip for drink servers at the pool etc? I'm trying to work out how many dollars I'll need for a 12 night cruise.

They hand out envelopes at the end of the cruise in case you want to give more than the suggested amount. Tips are included in the drink price, but if you want to give more, I mostly see $1 per drink additional.

Your tips are now prepaid so the staff have your tips automatically at the end of the cruise, people are talking about some extra money for exceptional service.

Room service you can just give a few dollars when the food arrives and all bar drinks you buy have an automatic 15% tip on top of the drinks charge for the server.

Archived