Airfare from US to Barcelona

Lydia B.

OP, like you, we started fare watching early for our June 2013 flight to BCN. The cruiseline wanted $1818 to fly non-stop from ATL to BCN, but we farewatched and it was pretty much settled at $1450, so when we saw it drop below that in Sept 2012, we bought our tickets. We watched some after the fact and periodically until about April and the fare never dropped much below the $1450. Even adding in travel insurance, it was still cheaper than through the cruiseline.

We definitnely prefer nonstop flights. We flew in two days before the cruise and stayed an extra night after.

I paid $1130 RT non-stop US Air out of Philly. However, I actually am flying home from Paris, so it's not really a "true" RT. I think when I checked Barcelona to and from it was like $1028. I fly end of August and booked in about March.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Even though we are on the west coast... we typically go thru JFK or Miami - when going to BCN. We have a trip already booked for next April, around Easter and "spring break" in USA. We booked in June because we used miles/points to come back from BCN on American and paid for a one way to Miami, since we are on a TA cruise.

Both American and Delta go to BCN.

Now days airlines have cut back on flights, so we tend to book around 6 months in advance.

We have a cruise out of Rome for October 2014, we will start looking for air most likely on Air France after we return from our spring cruise.

We prefer the most direct routes, even if they costs more, less chance of lost luggage and delays.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time we went we booked iberia via madrid into BCN to save $$$. We ended up being delayed in madrid, and lost almost a whole day. Good thing we flew in a day ahead.

We are also looking to fly again into BCN from JFK next May...this time I will spend the extra on non stop.... But prices are high. Currently 1100 pp rt. may spring for it anyway...

We also booked our own airfare to Europe for an upcoming cruise. I set up a travel air fare alert with kayak.com and lo and behold in April I received an alert on the flights I wanted - saved $200 pp. I used Expedia for booking - went to their site, booked and ended up saving $400. Our cruise is in September so I was booking 6 months out.

If you decide to set up a fare alert with Kayak, you will receive an email once a day - they come out around 330 am EST. The fare I purchased has never been repeated - I caught a one day special I guess!

Hope this helps.

for those of you with American Airline points, my brother got a great deal on a one-way fare from Nashville to Rome for 20K points + $24.50. As others have stated, Celebrity's Choice Air has good international rates.

When it seems that every flight from or to anywhere has to go through Atlanta, I'm finding flights from Atlanta to Rome or Barcelona for a cruise in June is ridiculous! The cheapest fare I've seen is $1382 and now that price is gone. I've just started looking but the prices seem to have soared since last summer. I'm hoping, at some point, they will go down and I can grab a flight with a reasonable fare. Right now, I'd be thrilled with anything around $1100 RT.

We are sailing in the Serenade in May2014 and got round trip direct flight on delta for $834 pp thru RCCL website.

We then upgraded thru Delta to their comfort economy seats. They give you 4" more leg room and the backs go down 50% more tan reg seats. Not as good as 1st class but not bad. This also gets you thru security faster, early boarding and wine, beer and spirits on board. Not a bad deal for $69 per person per flight.

They require your RCCL booking number to book the flight. All other ways were charging $1100 pp

Hope this helps.

I've found that for one way air you can't beat the cruise line prices. Not so for round trip but one way they have a big edge. I always know the flight I want and pay a small deviation fee. I only fly non stop to Europe if possible.

We just booked US Air from PBI (West Palm Beach, FL) to Philadelphia then onto Barcelona for $960.00 p/p. I checked yesterday and it was down to $908.00 p/p. I guess with Philadelphia being one of their main hubs they give you a pretty good rate.

Happy sailing.:):):)

• 2 weeks later...

Been watching the non stop from jfk-bcn for next May...

It was bouncing between 1100-1300pp....usually around1250

It dropped to 1100 again this week so I bit the bullet. In 24 hours its up $150

Last time we had a stop in Madrid....terribly delayed..lost our whole day in BCN precruise as a result. For me, the non stop is worth the few hundred dollars pp so we can really enjoy BCN this time.

We are flying from Newark (EWR) to Barcelona (BCN) in September 2013 for our MSC cruise. We booked out flight in May 2013 and it cost $910 pp. I've rechecked the prices a few times, and they seem to only have gone up in price since May. I think paying anywhere from 700 - 900 $ would be a reasonable price.

Archived