Wine & Champagne in San Diego?

CruiseWhere

We have only ever cruised out of FLL and so have always purchased our wines & champagnes at Total Wine. Unfortunately from what I can see there is not one in San Diego:( Can anyone suggest to me the best store (comparable to Total Wines) to pick up these for our cruise.

Thank you!!

I do not know of anything like Total Wine near the pier, perhaps a local can help you there.

Alot of people like to go to Ralphs supermarket, its a bit of a walk (I guess about a mile). Personally, I use the CVS near the pier (about 3-4 blocks) - decent selection and fair prices IMO. Then again, I am not looking for specialty or high end wines.

DaveOKC

In California a wide variety of stores sell wine including supermarkets, drugstores, convenience stores, and department stores (e.g. Target, Walmart, Costco). There are no "blue laws" restricting days when liquor can be sold. Some cities have local license restrictions if they feel selling it will cause problems in the neighborhood.

BevMo is a chain of liquor stores that sounds similar to Total Wine. The closest one in SD is on the north side of the airport. Unless you use a taxi or have a rental car it's probably not worth the effort.

In California a wide variety of stores sell wine including supermarkets, drugstores, convenience stores, and department stores (e.g. Target, Walmart, Costco). There are no "blue laws" restricting days when liquor can be sold. Some cities have local license restrictions if they feel selling it will cause problems in the neighborhood.

BevMo is a chain of liquor stores that sounds similar to Total Wine. The closest one in SD is on the north side of the airport. Unless you use a taxi or have a rental car it's probably not worth the effort.

As I recall, In SD you cannot purchase wine before a certain time on Sundays. I think it was either 10 or 11 am, or perhaps noon?

DaveOKC

As I recall, In SD you cannot purchase wine before a certain time on Sundays. I think it was either 10 or 11 am, or perhaps noon?

DaveOKC

I live in San Diego, and I've never heard of this law. You can't buy booze after 2am, but I think it's available again by 6am or so.

I live in San Diego, and I've never heard of this law. You can't buy booze after 2am, but I think it's available again by 6am or so.

I know that twice (different cruises) I tried to buy wine at the CVS by the pier and was turned away on a Sunday as it was before a certain time (I think it was 10 am but not sure). They even held the wine behind the counter for me and I came back later to get it. Perhaps it is just a rule by CVS??

DaveOKC

I know that twice (different cruises) I tried to buy wine at the CVS by the pier and was turned away on a Sunday as it was before a certain time (I think it was 10 am but not sure). They even held the wine behind the counter for me and I came back later to get it. Perhaps it is just a rule by CVS??

DaveOKC

Is that the CVS at 5th & C, or is there one closer to the pier? The 5th & C one is near my office, and they do have metal gates locked across the end of the alcohol aisle in the mornings (on weekdays, I've never been there on Sunday). They're unlocked by lunch time.

As mentioned, cities often have tighter restrictions on alcohol sales than state law. It sounds like the CVS has restricted hours as a condition of their liquor license. That's common in areas where public intoxication has been a problem.

Is that the CVS at 5th & C, or is there one closer to the pier? The 5th & C one is near my office, and they do have metal gates locked across the end of the alcohol aisle in the mornings (on weekdays, I've never been there on Sunday). They're unlocked by lunch time.

It was the CVS by the pier (about 3 blocks?).

DaveOKC

Another option in San Diego is the Cost Plus World Market in the Gaslamp Quarter. You can walk, take a pedicab or even the San Diego Trolley (light rail) from near the cruise ship pier to get there. It opens at 9AM on Saturday and 10AM the other 6 days of the week and is located at 372 Fourth Ave.

Also, there is a relatively new wine store (and wine bar) called 57 Degrees just off Washington Street at Hancock, which is across the street from a trolley station which has an excellent selection of wines: http://fiftysevendegrees.com/ It opens at 11AM, but is closed on Sundays.

We usually stop by the Ralph's store for wine, soda, and flowers before we board.

Thank you! What a lovely idea.....flowers!!!! I think I'll be doing the same. I wasn't sure if we could bring them onboard.:)

Archived