Tip question

My upcoming cruise is essentially my first (even though I did a few long ago) I was looking at the RCI suggested tip schedule and am wondering what do the Dining Room Waiter, Assistant Waiter and the Headwaiter do? Which of the three should I target with $$ to ensure I get good service? :confused:

Your waiter and assistant will be serving you at the table. The waiter is really responsible for everything that happens at your table: taking your order, placing the order, delivery to the table, etc.

The assistant is just that, and assistant who helps with all of the waiter's duties. They will be performing many of the tasks such as bringing bread, butter, water and beverage refills, salad dressing, removing dishes, and much more.

The headwaiter is the overseer of a specific area of the dining room. He is responsible for supervising all that happens in his/her area. Good ones will stop by the table each evening to check on the food and service, assist with the presentation of special event cakes (birthday/anniversary), give tips about the ports, reminders about dining room hours and services on various days, etc. Poor ones will show up occasionally but definately on the last night when tips are distributed. In my experience most headwaiters do OK.

We normally tip more than the recommended for the waiter and assistant because they do a great job. Headwaiter usually gets the recommended amount from us.

Charlie

The waiter takes your order and serves your food. The Assistant waiter clears the plates and keeps your water glass full and serves the bread and salad dressings. The headwaiter is their boss and handles any special requests you may have, such as food that is not on the menu. You should get very good service without offering up any extra money in advance as a high level of service is provided in anticipation of the tip to be received at the end of the cruise. Some people do not tip the headwaiter unless he/she has provided some special service during the cruise.

To me, the diningroom waiter and assistant are two really important people. Their service can enhance or detract from the overall cruise experience. I have only had good and great waiters and assistants, and they never know what amount we will tip until the last night, but they are very service oriented and will pretty much provide "good or great" service because that is their jobs. Their tips are their salary, so we try to be fair in this area.

Our first cruise, we had a great waiter and assistant, which was wonderful, but makes it difficult for the future ones to measure up! They worked as a seemingly effortless team, were very friendly, full of information, and truly seemed to love their jobs. The headwaiter that time came by the table every night and made some kind of comment or small talk. I cannot remember when, but he also came by to tell us about a delay in our orders one night, although it was not a very lengthy delay at all. The second cruise, the waiter and assistant were like two separate people working on the same table--not a team like before--it seemed like they hadn't worked together long. The assistant seemed rather nervous, but he was friendly. The waiter was good, too, but he seemed unnatural with his gestures and almost seemed to be trying too hard...we saw the headwaiter twice on this cruise, he didn't say much, just "hello" and "how are you tonight?"

We tipped the suggested amount on the second cruise, but we tipped extra on the first cruise.

I have seen people tip the staff in the Windjammer and even at breakfast in the diningroom, but I don't really think it makes a difference in the level of service...we often ate in the Windjammer for lunch, and there was a waitress who always managed to come to check on us, regardless of where we sat! I am assuming that she did this as her job, not in anticipation of a bigger tip...

but anyone who provides such service should be tipped well.

We brought smaller bills for tipping and kept our tip money in the room safe, so that we would have the funds when we needed them...

Archived