Knossos from Chania? (NoS 14 June)

bristolrugbyfan

Hello Everyone

We are due to dock in Chania (Souda) on the Navigator of the Seas at 07:00 on 14 June, departing 15:00. We'd love to visit Knossos but I understand it's quite a trek (which is probably why the ship doesn't offer an excursion). Does anyone know if its possible to visit in such a short space of time, and if so, any tour companies that might offer this as an option?

Many thanks

It's about a 2-hour drive to Knossos from Chania. So allowing for about 2 hours at Knossos, you'd need at least 6 hours -- and you want to be sure to be back to the ship at least an hour before sailaway if you're doing this on your own (e.g., not by ship's tour).

It's a pretty tight schedule. But I'd imagine you might be able to find a private driver who would assist you -- sorry, I have no name to offer.

Lefteris is the most talked about tour guide for Crete on these forums. Toured with him just last week from a ship that also had a departure time of 1500. And sadly even he said it was not safe time-wise for return to the ship, and also not a reasonable period of time to explore Knossos. He said only from Heraklion.

I know- it's sad. I explored the possibility of doing this from Chania for several months for a year before the cruise. But it gives you another reason to visit Crete again.

One thing to pass on. I thought Lefteris' tour from Chania was pretty awful. Mostly just a shopping tour of Chania, a memorial park, beautiful views from up in the hills, a mini-lunch and a visit to an olive oil production company for 60EU pp. We did visit Aptera (which was why we booked the tour in the first place) and none of the ten other people in our group wanted to stop to get out and visit. They were tired of ruins!!!

Lefteris is a very nice man, enthusiastic about his country, but with such a short time in port I think he has limited time to share his island. I'd book him in a heartbeat in Heraklion though. Would have passed on this tour had I known better.

Lefteris is the most talked about tour guide for Crete on these forums. Toured with him just last week from a ship that also had a departure time of 1500. And sadly even he said it was not safe time-wise for return to the ship, and also not a reasonable period of time to explore Knossos. He said only from Heraklion.

I know- it's sad. I explored the possibility of doing this from Chania for several months for a year before the cruise. But it gives you another reason to visit Crete again.

One thing to pass on. I thought Lefteris' tour from Chania was pretty awful. Mostly just a shopping tour of Chania, a memorial park, beautiful views from up in the hills, a mini-lunch and a visit to an olive oil production company for 60EU pp. We did visit Aptera (which was why we booked the tour in the first place) and none of the ten other people in our group wanted to stop to get out and visit. They were tired of ruins!!!

Lefteris is a very nice man, enthusiastic about his country, but with such a short time in port I think he has limited time to share his island. I'd book him in a heartbeat in Heraklion though. Would have passed on this tour had I known better.

We have Lefteris booked for the date the OP was looking. We had him for a private tour for the four of us but he wanted to add six people and change us to a van. I'm not happy. He said it would be less money but it isn't based on my caculations. It went for € 40 per hour to € 55 per person. Not any less and maybe a little more if we are not using a full six hours. Is this tour worth it? Are my girls going to bored out of their minds? We are traveling with our 11 and 13 yr old granddaughters. How comfortable was the van? My husband is not able to climb into the back of any van, he walks with a cane. I am not sure what to do now.

Don't know what happened to the font color??

We have Lefteris booked for the date the OP was looking. We had him for a private tour for the four of us but he wanted to add six people and change us to a van. I'm not happy. He said it would be less money but it isn't based on my caculations. It went for € 40 per hour to € 55 per person. Not any less and maybe a little more if we are not using a full six hours. Is this tour worth it? Are my girls going to bored out of their minds? We are traveling with our 11 and 13 yr old granddaughters. How comfortable was the van? My husband is not able to climb into the back of any van, he walks with a cane. I am not sure what to do now.

Don't know what happened to the font color??

I wasn't thrilled either. But he met a group of 12 of us in a full sized bus! Have no idea how it would be arranged for your group. But honestly, if it is just going to be the Chania city tour, driving around in hills with nice views and some shopping etc, yes, I think your girls may be bored out of their minds!! Lefteris also took us to an outdoor restaurant where we had some delicious local bread with tomatoes and olives, but he didn't include it in the 55EU pp. It unexpectedly became 60EU pp.

It's the only tour we wish we had not done- was a disappointment. He's a nice man and very entertaining, but it was not worth it.

Hello Everyone

We are due to dock in Chania (Souda) on the Navigator of the Seas at 07:00 on 14 June, departing 15:00.

Many thanks

Ahh more people from the UK on the same cruise ! :) "Hi" :)

Sorry cant offer you help with your question as we are just DIY ing Chania itself that day , we have an active roll call for your cruise with lots of discussions about excursions etc if thats any help :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1665563

Enjoy your cruise !!

• 3 weeks later...

We had Lefteris for a tour last year. Although we had booked him we ended up with a friend/ relative of his who was hopeless. Any time we asked about anything he just said " I don't know but it is very old"

We just ened up going to the monastery, the park and shopping- we tthen asked to be taken back to the ship early as he had real itineary planned. We had thought we would go up into some of the mountain villages but that did not happen.

Hi Everyone

Thanks for your help. Looks like we will be staying in Souda/Chania after all, fingers crossed there is a shuttle bus into town!

Tracey

There is a local bus from Souda to Chania that drops you outside the market in Chania. It costs 3 euro return. :)

Archived