Dining Room Ettiquette

Charxu

I've read your posting a couple times and I don't quite get it. I presume the first three couples occupied seats which I'll arbitrarily number 1 through 6, leaving seats 7-10 unoccupied. If you were sitting next to your partner, then you were either in one of the "end" pairs of seats (1 & 2 or 5 & 6) or you were the middle couple (seats 3 & 4).

When couple #4 arrived on night 3, what exactly happened? You said they sat in "your seats", but since they hadn't been there the previous nights, they wouldn't have known which seats were yours. If they arrived first, they wouldn't have even been able to ask (if it had occurred to them that you might consider a particular pair of seats to be "yours").

Regardless, I can't think of a seating scenario that would have resulted in you ending up "further away from the group". If they took 1&2, then you could have taken 7&8 and the group would be intact. Similarly, if they took 5&6, then you could have taken 9&10 and the group would still be intact (i.e., 9, 10, 1, 2, 3, 4). If you had been 3&4, then you could have taken either 9&10 (which would have left you next to the couple in 1&2) or 7&8 (which would have left you next to couple 5&6). In each of those scenarios, you still wind up as part of the "core" part of the original group of 6.

Why wasn't I told there would be math involved? I hate math! I just want to sit in the seat where there will be food served.

What you need to do is go to the dining room in the afternoon and put a flip-flop or towel on your seat of preference so it will be saved when you arrive for dinner. :) There you go. Problem solved.

Cheers!

that "lonely tangerine"..that stayed on a deck chair alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

day..!!! and no one ever sat in it !...say whut ?.....there was a time lapse pic on here...back when the chairs were blue n white striped.

Show me ONE LADY who will admit she is the oldest !!!!

the ships I cruise on......I always have the same table....the same chair..WHY? I have a problem with my left leg and need extra room...plus I am deaf in my rt ear, so I need the bulk of the noise level at my back, my choice fills the need for both of my disabilities.. AND, my personal bottle of wine is always @ the same place..as are the lemons, and chunks of Reggiano Parmigiano. very rarely have others changed their seats.As I dine late, it is dark,the view isn't an issue, and I've seen it many times b4,

the ships I cruise on......I always have the same table....the same chair..WHY? I have a problem with my left leg and need extra room...plus I am deaf in my rt ear, so I need the bulk of the noise level at my back, my choice fills the need for both of my disabilities.. AND, my personal bottle of wine is always @ the same place..as are the lemons, and chunks of Reggiano Parmigiano. very rarely have others changed their seats.As I dine late, it is dark,the view isn't an issue, and I've seen it many times b4,

I'm deaf in my left ear... how does that work out?

Not sure I got all of that but maybe it would help to explain that it was a oblong table as opposed to a round or oval. Couple one with the male at the end of the table and his wife to his right. Couple two sat to the right of couple one. We sat on the left hand side of couple number one, so we were all pretty much all facing each other. The fourth couple that joined nights later took our positions which sat us further down the table on the left. This put us farther away from the group as in actuality, only one of us sat accross from the second person in couple number two's position making it more difficult to interact.

I don't know exactly when the fourth couple arrived as obviously I wasn't sitting in those seats or they wouldn't have.

All I know is due to my perception at the time, I know that in the future, I would ask whoever is sitting at the table if anyone was sitting there. If I was the first to arrive and had not been at the table for the first two nights, I will ask if there was a prefered seating order.

Okay, that's a more clear picture. I guess your point is really that if you've missed the first dinner or two, you should give your table mates the courtesy of asking them whether there is a preferred seating plan, even if you are the first to arrive.

We were seated at a large table by the window. I am old and get there early so there isn't so many people so I always sat by the window, and like the rest of the couples our wives/partners sat opposite. After 3 days, while my wife was delayed a little, one of the other women sat opposite of me in the other window seat. I told here my wife is sitting there, but she said no saved seats and sat down. My wife was forced to sit opposite her husband in the next seat.

I felt awkward sitting across from someone I didn't know, and decided to remedy the situation. I started taking my foot and lightly kicked her several times. After glaring at me she finally asked why I was kicking her. I told her it was a habit and my wife didn't mind my dancing under the table, and since she took my wife's place, she could now dance with me under the tables.

It worked, she switched seats with my wife. :rolleyes:.

We were seated at a large table by the window. I am old and get there early so there isn't so many people so I always sat by the window, and like the rest of the couples our wives/partners sat opposite. After 3 days, while my wife was delayed a little, one of the other women sat opposite of me in the other window seat. I told here my wife is sitting there, but she said no saved seats and sat down. My wife was forced to sit opposite her husband in the next seat.

I felt awkward sitting across from someone I didn't know, and decided to remedy the situation. I started taking my foot and lightly kicked her several times. After glaring at me she finally asked why I was kicking her. I told her it was a habit and my wife didn't mind my dancing under the table, and since she took my wife's place, she could now dance with me under the tables.

If you want to hog the good seats - maybe you should have tried the towel and flip flop theory suggested earlier :rolleyes:

If you want to hog the good seats - maybe you should have tried the towel and flip flop theory suggested earlier :rolleyes:

Actually I am left handed which means I sit by the window on the left, or I sit by the other end. Actually at the time we were dining, the sun was shinning in the window with quite a glare, and it was hot. It was not the desirable seat at the table.

I had a stroke and tend to lean into the left when I sit somewhere, Having a wall next to me, I can prop my weight against the wall, I cannot do it when I am in the aisle seat and I tend to start to lean into the aisle where they are walking past with food.

It is not evident to others, and I have no intention of mentioning it to strangers at the table, so I go early and sit where I need to.

No explanation needed to people at the table. I want my wife across from me.

I don't know if there is any type etiquette to this but I agree with at least one of the posters, it screws up the server. If it is just the two of us we request a 2 or 4 person table. When the kids and grandkids go we get the 10 person table, as there are 10 of us. I like it when I walk in and my drink is already at the table. Our server would have a problem with that if we switched seats each time. When the grandkids are with us they really enjoy it that they have a quick snack and drink at their seat. Just makes more sense to me to have the same seat each night. If I didn't like the one I had I would maybe ask to change but I don't see that there are any "bad" seats in the dining rooms.

I don't think changing seats screws up the servers. On our last cruise, we ran into our server at lunch at the buffet. He noted that my partner had a different roll on his plate than he ate at dinner. "No sourdough at lunch?" The servers in the MDR are that good!

The changing of seats in the MDR should be discussed with the dinner mates who show up on the first night . We never have a problem with our seats as we are the first to arrive most times We think it rude to show up more than 20 minutes late as the server likes to take all the orders at one time. If I know that we will not be coming to dinner the following night we inform the other table mates, not to do this I would consider rude also. I something unforeseen comes and we don't show up we apologize the following night...

Originally Posted by Tantra1 viewpost.gif

What you need to do is go to the dining room in the afternoon and put a flip-flop or towel on your seat of preference so it will be saved when you arrive for dinner. :) There you go. Problem solved.

Cheers!

Between this and the wife that is a former Celebrity a** I can barely read from laughing! :p

The former Celebrity a** got me :p:eek:

Hope she doesn't read these boards.

On another thread for another line the person was asking about his balcony being covered as he likes to drink his coffee naked on the balcony - my daily dose oh humour on CC:p

The changing of seats in the MDR should be discussed with the dinner mates who show up on the first night . We never have a problem with our seats as we are the first to arrive most times We think it rude to show up more than 20 minutes late as the server likes to take all the orders at one time. If I know that we will not be coming to dinner the following night we inform the other table mates, not to do this I would consider rude also. I something unforeseen comes and we don't show up we apologize the following night...

Only 20 minutes late would have been nice. we had one couple that never showed up less than 30 minutes late and one evening they were 45 minutes late. While it didn't bother us, the waitress didn't seem to like it one bit!

Only 20 minutes late would have been nice. we had one couple that never showed up less than 30 minutes late and one evening they were 45 minutes late. While it didn't bother us, the waitress didn't seem to like it one bit!

Did they make you wait until the other people showed up to order? That would bother me. I don't mind waiting a little bit but 45 minutes!!!

We habitually change our seats at dinner so that we can get to know everyone at the table. On our last cruise, one couple obviously wanted the same seat each night, so we were careful not to take "their" seats if we got to the table first, but on most cruises, the folks seem to enjoy a change up.

Completely agree. We change seats each night just so we can speak directly to different guests each evening. I suppose if someone had to have the same seat each night, we'd honor that. :)

Apparently, you're very proud of behaving in such a manner.

Actually I am left handed which means I sit by the window on the left, or I sit by the other end. Actually at the time we were dining, the sun was shinning in the window with quite a glare, and it was hot. It was not the desirable seat at the table.

I had a stroke and tend to lean into the left when I sit somewhere, Having a wall next to me, I can prop my weight against the wall, I cannot do it when I am in the aisle seat and I tend to start to lean into the aisle where they are walking past with food.

It is not evident to others, and I have no intention of mentioning it to strangers at the table, so I go early and sit where I need to.

No explanation needed to people at the table. I want my wife across from me.

How do you know she didn't have similar reasons for wanting/needing that seat, though? If you didn't feel the need to discuss your issues with strangers, what makes you think she didn't feel the same way? I doubt you would enjoy being kicked by some random person all through dinner just for trying to get the seat that makes you the most comfortable.

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Really.......Glad we use ATD and get a table for two. Who wants that kind of drama on vacation?

Good thing she showed some class and didn't drop her water glass on your lap by habit.

The obvious solution is musical chairs. Everyone circles the table while the waiters sing. When the singing stops, you grab the closest chair. Tables against a wall or window, you have to climb over the end. For those tables on the second level overlooking the downstairs, you have to climb by on the railing. You may want to be careful.

On my last cruise, a four night with my son, we were seated at a table set for 9 people. Not 8, not 10, but 9.

The first night there was another family of 3 with us, leaving four empty seats. We had a great time with them. The next two nights, same...four empty seats.

The last night when we arrived, there was a lady and her young (maybe 10) son at our table. I assumed they had been eating at the buffet all week.

The other family asked about where they had been previously, and the mom replied "oh, we're supposed to have Any Time Dining, but we decided to come here instead" ???

Her son ordered 3 entrees and then promptly fell asleep at the table before they came.

On a couple of cruises my wife and I had a table for two. We generally prefer to dine/meet other passengers but this was all that was available and it was OK with us.

During the week we decided that we wanted a different view of the dining room so we switched seats.

Man, did that confuse the waiters! :eek:

Cheers!

Archived