Dining Room Ettiquette

Charxu

We have changed seats a few times and boy oh boy does it knock the servers for a loop...I kinda don't want to do it, but hubby likes to change things up...3 times I have felt bad for the servers

You mean you change after they take your order? That's a dirty trick but think it's a great way to break the ice with them since we like to have fun.

:rolleyes: change after they take your appy order....change after they take your dinner order then again for dessert. :rolleyes: Oh that's just not nice. LOL

Did they make you wait until the other people showed up to order? That would bother me. I don't mind waiting a little bit but 45 minutes!!!

No, we were already on our entrees by the time the people showed. Our waitress was great about this. She would always start taking orders by about 6:10.

We have changed seats a few times and boy oh boy does it knock the servers for a loop...I kinda don't want to do it, but hubby likes to change things up...3 times I have felt bad for the servers

Yes, knock them for a loop. Which I suppose is a great way to slow them down so another table gets slower service and then the people at that table can complain on Cruise Critic that the service was slow...

You mean you change after they take your order? That's a dirty trick but think it's a great way to break the ice with them since we like to have fun.

:rolleyes: change after they take your appy order....change after they take your dinner order then again for dessert. :rolleyes: Oh that's just not nice. LOL

Ohh thats just hysterical

Lets mess with the staff that works hard to remember everyones names and preference and then wonder why everyone else had bad service ;)

They are really not working hard enough ..they need to be messed with at everyones expense

Gotta love losers LOL

How do you know she didn't have similar reasons for wanting/needing that seat, though? If you didn't feel the need to discuss your issues with strangers, what makes you think she didn't feel the same way? I doubt you would enjoy being kicked by some random person all through dinner just for trying to get the seat that makes you the most comfortable.

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What Mere said!!!! :D

Not cool dude. Kicking someone is not a good solution.

I felt awkward sitting across from someone I didn't know, and decided to remedy the situation. I started taking my foot and lightly kicked her several times. After glaring at me she finally asked why I was kicking her. I told her it was a habit and my wife didn't mind my dancing under the table, and since she took my wife's place, she could now dance with me under the tables.

It worked, she switched seats with my wife. :rolleyes:.

Like...If he kicked me once maybe I could over look it..Constantly would have been a totally different matter. All because he couldnt sit across from his wife.

Really.......Glad we use ATD and get a table for two. Who wants that kind of drama on vacation?

Good thing she showed some class and didn't drop her water glass on your lap by habit.

Thank you for the frank revelation! :)

The way I see far-too-many people "handling" their knives and forks

it's quite clear that there is no need for etiquette on most Carnival cruises.

No kidding. There are times when I wonder why they give some people pointed objects.

Where to seat a lady is called chivalry. The lady should have the best view. She should be seated where she can see and be seen.

Um, er... Not since Prince Valient.

This is Carnival. Meat, rocks, fire, booze....

No, we were already on our entrees by the time the people showed. Our waitress was great about this. She would always start taking orders by about 6:10.

Oh well that's good to know! I guess we've been lucky. The times we have been seated with others, they showed up on time, were friendly and personable and no one played musical chairs.

We tend to take the same seats each night. I would't mind if some at the table wanted to sit in different seats, but I would appreciate the courtesy of a "hey, hope you don't mind - we wanted a differnt view."

I think a little courtesy and respect go a long way. I don't think it takes much effort. Works in many different circumstances and would go a long way to avoid confrontation, ill will and hard feelings.

We tend to take the same seats each night. I would't mind if some at the table wanted to sit in different seats, but I would appreciate the courtesy of a "hey, hope you don't mind - we wanted a differnt view."

I think a little courtesy and respect go a long way. I don't think it takes much effort. Works in many different circumstances and would go a long way to avoid confrontation, ill will and hard feelings.

I agree. But I wonder if you give your table mates the same courtesy on days 2+, I.e., "Hi. I hope you don't mind but we really like to sit in the same seats most of the time so we're in the same seats we had last night"

Apparently' date=' you're very proud of behaving in such a manner.[/quote']

@We ... He is either a troll to be ignored, or an inconsiderate passenger who should be at a table for two., or likely one - because if he's that way to other guests, he probably has similar rude and uncalled for behaviours that his poor wife must suffer with.

My DW and I sit opposite one another in order to meet others at a large table, we prefer, if people want to play musical chairs throughout the cruise, that's fine with us as long a the wait staff is not too confused.

B&B

Wow, I can't believe all the drama. DH & I did anytime dining on our last two cruises since we were cruising alone together and I didn't want to have to make small talk with others. Glad we did.

When we cruise with the family we do late dining and we are usually placed with another family. We usually mix up the seats a little every night so everyone gets a chance to talk with others - although we put the kids close to the other kids so they can talk together. Now I am wondering if we made others mad??? At least no one kicked us.

Luckily we are able to adapt to any social situation and I can eat across from my husband, next to my husband or far away from my husband.

Maggie

I'm deaf in my left ear... how does that work out?

I like the bulk of the noise @ my back, as if I"m surrounded by tables, and off center. I also tell my waitstaff to please address me from my left(good) side. A long table wont work as I would get "whiplash", and I cant see or hear the peeps @ the ends. works for me very well

I agree. But I wonder if you give your table mates the same courtesy on days 2+, I.e., "Hi. I hope you don't mind but we really like to sit in the same seats most of the time so we're in the same seats we had last night"

To be honest I don't remember. The last time we cruised we were 4 at a table for 4. The other times were cruises my sister and I took together. Twice we were at a big round table in the middle of the room and we just sat where ever. I seem to recall the waiter or someone pulling out chairs.

The one time we had a table for 6 we were seated with 2 mother-daughter pairs. The one mother and daughter had the seats closest to the window (sitting across from each other - so each one of them had the window) when we arrived. Again I seem to recall the waiter or someone pulling out the chair, but my sister and I were next to each other. The other Mother/Daughter pair sat next to each other across from us. We all got along fabulously and it never occurred to us to ask the M/D pair by the window to switch up.

I'm a pretty much go with the flow kind of person. I'm a creature of habit, so I will gravitate toward the same seating arrangement. If someone wants to switch for some reason I have no problem with that. If someone were to be sitting in the chair I had the night before, I'd move down. I don't really want to play musical chairs every night - but I wouldn't make a fuss. I just would want to have to sit completely separated from the people I'm cruising with.

Quite frankly all this fussing about who sits where and threads about horrible dinner companions has me thinking, I'll visit the Maitre d and ask him to put us at a table by ourselves. A cruise is supposed to be fun - not full of people stressing over things and drama.

To be honest I don't remember. The last time we cruised we were 4 at a table for 4. The other times were cruises my sister and I took together. Twice we were at a big round table in the middle of the room and we just sat where ever. I seem to recall the waiter or someone pulling out chairs.

The one time we had a table for 6 we were seated with 2 mother-daughter pairs. The one mother and daughter had the seats closest to the window (sitting across from each other - so each one of them had the window) when we arrived. Again I seem to recall the waiter or someone pulling out the chair, but my sister and I were next to each other. The other Mother/Daughter pair sat next to each other across from us. We all got along fabulously and it never occurred to us to ask the M/D pair by the window to switch up.

I'm a pretty much go with the flow kind of person. I'm a creature of habit, so I will gravitate toward the same seating arrangement. If someone wants to switch for some reason I have no problem with that. If someone were to be sitting in the chair I had the night before, I'd move down. I don't really want to play musical chairs every night - but I wouldn't make a fuss. I just would want to have to sit completely separated from the people I'm cruising with.

Quite frankly all this fussing about who sits where and threads about horrible dinner companions has me thinking, I'll visit the Maitre d and ask him to put us at a table by ourselves. A cruise is supposed to be fun - not full of people stressing over things and drama.

Who's stressing? I'll sit where I want at my table and if someone "lightly" kicks me I'll just "lightly" stab them with my salad fork. No worries! :D

Archived