One day to explore Provence by car

tsuds

Hello!

We are a family of five renting a car for an all day (approx 8am to 8pm, ship departs @ 2300) Sunday shore excursion from the port of Marseilles this summer. Unfortunately our time in Provence is very limited but we are hoping to get a "taste" of the region. After some research, we are hoping to visit Les Baux and St Remy, then possibly swing west to the Luberon region (Roussillon) before heading back to Marseilles. Does this seem too ambitious? If so, any alternative recommendations? Also, not sure if we can get an in-car navigation system. Any iphone map app or Michelin map suggestions?

All and any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Tim

We will be going to Marseille via cruise ship too and I think that we are renting a car. Our cruise leaves June 7 and returns June 17. So if you're not going soon, I will come back and post info. It doesn't seem like very many people do this (at least the questions I've asked no one answered) I am worried about construction, tolls, unexpected rental car charges and also traffic! I have a really good map of Marseille from the last time we were there and also a map of Provence plus we will rent a gps! So...if no one else answers I will when I have more info

We will be going to Marseille via cruise ship too and I think that we are renting a car. Our cruise leaves June 7 and returns June 17. So if you're not going soon, I will come back and post info. It doesn't seem like very many people do this (at least the questions I've asked no one answered) I am worried about construction, tolls, unexpected rental car charges and also traffic! I have a really good map of Marseille from the last time we were there and also a map of Provence plus we will rent a gps! So...if no one else answers I will when I have more info

Our cruise is from June 8-19, so maybe we will wave to each other as we pass on the highway! We will be in Marseilles Sunday, June 16. If your port of call is earlier, a prompt email of your experience/advise would be VERY appreciated! This is the only port of call we are renting a car and I am a bit nervous.

Which rental agency and rental location are you using, if I may ask? We have a reservation from National at the St Charles train station. We requested a GPS also, but we are in big trouble if it is in French!

Thanks in advance!

thsoper@comcast.net

I have reservations with Avis and Hertz. Hertz is cheaper but it doesn't look like it includes insurance, where as Avis does. We are renting a GPS also. Yes I'm very nervous. Mostly about traffic and getting back to the rental car place.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello!

We are a family of five renting a car for an all day (approx 8am to 8pm, ship departs @ 2300) Sunday shore excursion from the port of Marseilles this summer. Unfortunately our time in Provence is very limited but we are hoping to get a "taste" of the region. After some research, we are hoping to visit Les Baux and St Remy, then possibly swing west to the Luberon region (Roussillon) before heading back to Marseilles. Does this seem too ambitious? If so, any alternative recommendations? Also, not sure if we can get an in-car navigation system. Any iphone map app or Michelin map suggestions?

Tim

Go to viamichelin.com and plot your route. It gives you turn-by-turn directions, driving times between each turn, tolls, road construction, etc, etc, etc. That will help you make your plans. Also, plot a shorter route (minus Luberon) to give you other ways to get back to the ship.

And, yes, rent a GPS. Better yet, bring your own Garmin or Magellan. You can download Europe maps. Enter whichever route you planned with viamichelin and you are good to go. It ends up being cheaper than renting a GPS from Hertz and you will be used to it.

Hello!

Tim

BTW - after les Baux, I would go to Arles. It's about one hour to Les Baux, then half hour to Arles and one hour back to Marseilles. Arles is far more interesting than St Remy.

Having spent quite a bit of time in St Remy (we rented an apartment) we will offer some suggestions. If you are doing your drive on a Sunday we would not recommend spending time in St Remy since nearly all the shops are closed on Sundays. Les Baux is a great place on Sunday afternoon (or even late morning). But if you can get a car early on a Sunday, and the weather is good, then we strongly recommend driving directly to Isle sur la Sorgue. They have one of the most amazing outdoor weekly markets in all of France (there is a better one in Paris) and the quaint town is also full of terrific antique stores. This is where everyone in the region goes on Sunday mornings (they start to shut down the market around 1 pm) and you would be amazed at the number of food offerings, antiques, gifts, etc. Google the place for more info. After Isle sur la Sorque we would recommend driving to Les Baux. You could certainly stop at St Remy during this drive, but it will be quiet. The Roman ruins right outside St Remy are also a nice diversion if you enjoy exploring ruins.

Having written this....we would emphasize that Provence is a big region and it takes months to really explore the area.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 2 years later...
We will be going to Marseille via cruise ship too and I think that we are renting a car. Our cruise leaves June 7 and returns June 17.
Our cruise is from June 8-19

Hi tsuds & aamechs2, Hope you're back safe and sound, and had a great trip. We're thinking about the same type of experience on our port day in Marsielle.

How was the drive around the Provence? What rental companies did you end up renting from? Where were each of their rental offices, and how did you get there from port? And of douse, which stops did you make on the road?

Hope their back too considering their cruise was in 2013....
OMG! I totally missed the year! That's hilarious! And not a little embarrassing ... :o

Well, if there are any folks who have done a similar car adventure recently (Arles, Les Baux and St Remy) from Marseille, please let us know how it went.