Special things to buy in Vancouver?

Need suggestions of what Canada sells that you can't get in the US. Things we could pick up to take home. Going on Alaskan cruise at the end of August from Vancouver. Thanks!!

Cuban cigars and rum! :) Of course it would be illegal for you to take either home. In fact it is against US law for you even to buy them.

To be a bit more helpful, I suggest you try the shop at the University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology where you should find a selection of distinctive items, most of which you would not find in the US. The Museum itself is, in my opinion, a must-see in Vancouver.

Hmmmm - our friends & family who have visited have usually taken back a few small native pieces (mostly soapstone or jade carvings) and maple syrup. Plus the occasional cheesy T-shirt or fridge magnet;)

BC jade is, obviously, more easily available here than most other places, and a few different styles of sculptures and paintings are available as we have different First Nations groups in the region.

Syrup here is pricier than in Quebec or Ontario where almost all of it is made, but still cheap compared to most parts of the world - and you can usually find all different grades of it in stock whereas in the US it's dang near impossible to get anything other than the lightest variety.

If you have a sweet tooth, there are a few kinds of candy that aren't readily found south of the border (although don't try to take Kinder Eggs into the US, the border guys seem to consistently confiscate 'em and fine you!)

We do make some good local wines too - but I think you already inquired about liquor stores on the boards?

Local wines? Suggestions. I like whites, my husband reds. I will drink and enjoy both, though. ;)

What are Kinder Eggs?

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Kinder Eggs are small chocolate eggs with a toy inside.

Wine-wise, we don't do cheap ones well in BC but there are tons of good ones in the $15-20 and up brackets. Personally I'm a fan of German white varietals like Gewurtztraminer & Riesling - Gray Monk and See Ya Later make good ones under $20, but Joie and Tantalus are a marked step up in quality from about the $25 mark.

On the red front we've had some absolutely great Cab Sauvs, Merlots & Syrahs from Desert Hills, Burrowing Owl, See Ya Later and La Frenz.

First off as an American citizen it would be illegal for you to even purchase a Cuban cigar, although I don't believe that anyone has ever been charged with this. You also have to pass thru US customs before boarding the ship and of course you would run the risk of having the cigar(s) confescated...you can reduce the risk of this by removing the rings...but if you run into a grumpy CBP officer the burden of proof is on you to prove that it is not Cuban.

So moving on, we have some wonderfully talented native Indian artists who carve some great small pieces in the form of small totem poles, talking sticks, plaques and gold and silver jewelry. A couple of downtown galleries include Hill's in Gastown Coastal Peoples Fine Arts in Yaletown....Hill's will have pieces that are more reasonably priced.

http://www.hillsnativeart.com/

http://www.coastalpeoples.com/

What I have been doing when I cruise to different locations is pick up small watercolour prints which have been done by the local artists. They are easy to pack and don't take up any room in the luggage. I frame them once home and have them having on my office wall. It's a great reminder of the places you've visited and it's nice supporting local artists.

If you have time during your trip to Vancouver, visit Granville Island. I'm sure you'll find something there which is locally made.

Archived