Am I helping if I don't let my room steward clean?

Victorious8

Something I haven't seen mentioned ---- I hope you don't remove or reduce the auto tip when your room isn't cleaned daily? Seems like this is making more work for your steward, not less.

Sorry to give you the lecture, but if you don't want them, don't post questions on an open public forum. It was the mom in me coming out.

I'll stand by my post although I do realize you have the right to do what you feel is best for you.

Having raised 2 boys and 2 girls , those before and after pics are proof positive of what I have always said "Girls are wayyyyyy bigger slobs than boys." :) I shudder to think what the bathroom looks like.

I am a neat freak and often have the cabin made up before the steward arrives. I at least arrange if not fully make up when I get out of it. So I'm kind of the opposite. I don't feel like I need a lot of fussing-over, just as you don't, but for different reasons.

At least twice a week, I will tell the steward he doesn't need to bother with a full cleaning, could he please just swap out the towels and empty the trash, and maybe swap the water glasses. Maybe there's a happy compromise you can come to with your steward so that you are comfortable with the service you receive and (s)he is comfortable with the service being provided?

Have a great trip!

2. I don't understand why you would not want your room cleaned everyday anyway.

:confused:

It helps eliminate the post cruise shock when the pampering stops:eek:

Sorry to give you the lecture, but if you don't want them, don't post questions on an open public forum.

Like - don't ask for opinions and then whine when you don't like them?

When we cruise (me, DH, 2 DS's) we talk to the steward when we meet him and ask him if he can just do the turn down cleaning (once a day) we don't need the room cleaned during the day. The stewards are good with that, we haven't had any issues. That still gives them room access once a day (and its usually during dinner time).

So I am a young cruiser (24) and I will be going on my 3rd cruise this summer. The past two cruises I have shared a room with another young family member. Here is the thing I am a pretty big slob but the mess doesn't bother me. I am not in my room very often and usually my busy schedule causes me to franticly get ready. I also do not feel that it is necessary or environmentally conscious to have my room cleaned daily. I understand why Princess would be weary of two young people never having their rooms serviced but we don't trash them or anything. Most cruises we leave the "Do Not Disturb" card in our door and they always ask when they see us if they can clean. I am not saying we do this the entire cruise but I am more than happy only having them do that 3 or 4 times on a 12 day cruise. With the huge workload they have my thought is that this would be beneficial to them but I was wondering if I am making it worse somehow. I always really like my stewards the last one we warned him the first night about our messiness

We did this during one of our cruises where the cabin stewart was helping himself to our minibar and one night forgot to take the can of coke with him and left it on the dresser.

We didn't know it was him when we reported it, he denied it, so they investigated and he was caught.

So we put up the sign more often than not, instead of asking to have someone else clean our cabin. Well, this is the one and only cruise that I went home sick with a stomach virus. Could be a coincidence? true, but it has not happen before or after.

Next time we will ask for the person to be changed.

Just let him do his job. He has a method to cover his shift. It's the unusal requests that probably cause he the most effort. They don't mind special requests but it is a change to the routine and many people tip if they want extra. If you just let him do his standard thing, it will be the simplest for him and for you.

When we cruise (me, DH, 2 DS's) we talk to the steward when we meet him and ask him if he can just do the turn down cleaning (once a day) we don't need the room cleaned during the day. The stewards are good with that, we haven't had any issues. That still gives them room access once a day (and its usually during dinner time).

On our most recent Island Princess Panama Canal Cruise (15 days), there were days, that we wanted to sleep in on sea days and rarely left our room. Our room steward was cool about that and always had access to our stateroom when we left for dinner.

We were quite content with the once a day service (we had 5 ports and 10 sea days). However, about four days later, I noticed the Housekeeping Supervisor/Officer hovering near our stateroom and chatting with our room steward. Three days later, I saw the supervisor again on our floor, near our stateroom chatting with our room steward. After that, our room steward was "all over us" (not in a bad way) to get into our room twice a day.

I obliged him because I did not want him to get into trouble. Oh well. He was a wonderful guy, but I think the supervisors think the help may be attempting to get out of doing their full job. :(

We always book a balcony so on mornings/days we like to linger in our stateroom, we order breakfast from room service. When done, we tell the room steward we will be staying in and will be on the balcony and for him/her to feel free to come and clean when it's convenient for them.

Having raised 2 boys and 2 girls , those before and after pics are proof positive of what I have always said "Girls are wayyyyyy bigger slobs than boys." :) I shudder to think what the bathroom looks like.

We have 2boys,21 and 24....SLOBS....actually,I am a neat freak...age61 and my brother(a federal judge)..age59...a total slob,messy room,messy everything...his poor wife and me when I grew up with him in the same room...he never changed,some never do.

Most has already been said but let's face it, it is easier to wipe something down everyday than let it get caked on and have to scrub it. If you clean your shower every day it is a lot easier to keep it clean then if you do it once a month.

I agree. Not to mention the more often it is cleaned the less likely of germs spreading.

I would let the room steward in to clean everyday. I look at it this way....if I don't do a little daily clean up in my apartment, at the end of the week, I have a lot more to do than if I had just done a little every day. Now, put this in the room stewards perspective. Say he honors your request, but then on the day you leave (turn around day) he has to spend a LOT more time on the busiest day of the cruise for him to get your cabin back up to specs. I believe that is not fair to the room steward. JMHO.

Archived