Did Carnival Change their Mattresses ?

IMSAILING

How are the Splendor beds? Maybe since it hasn't received 2.0 upgrades yet there is a chance for the soft beds???

I'm bringing my MIL on this cruise and she has been hesitant about Carnival from the beginning. I hope there aren't hard beds!!! I'm already the black-sheep-DIL. :o

Maggie

The hard beds are not a part of the 2.0 downgrades, even though they are another cost-cutting measure. The room we had on Miracle had the rock beds before 2.0 started. They will change mattresses as needed, not only during drydock, but also not necessarily every bed on the ship. So some Splendor rooms may have the hard beds, and some the soft beds. I think only the Breeze can we say probably has all hard beds, since it's the only ship built after this switch began. But even that may not be true, if they had some soft ones left over somewhere. When switches like this are made, it will take quite awhile for it to spread to every room in every ship, since there's no reason to switch a mattress that doesn't need to be. And this is why many people are still reporting nice mattresses, such as me on the Triumph in Dec.

I just got of the Splendor on May 17th. and the mattress was the worst. I too always felt the mattresses were great on carnival, but this time not so. I had my cabin steward put padding on, but it didn't help much. I couldn't wait to get out of bed in the morning, my body was in such pain, if I got more than 5 hours of sleep I was doing good.

I also read John's comment on fb today. Someone is not telling the truth or it's time to get new mattresses. All in all I had a very nice cruise.

Does anyone remember Carnival used to try and sell you a bedding package (including mattress) that could be shipped to your home. There was printed matter in the rooms promoting this. It's curious that they no longer do this. Could it be the quality of bedding has changed?

Does anyone remember Carnival used to try and sell you a bedding package (including mattress) that could be shipped to your home. There was printed matter in the rooms promoting this. It's curious that they no longer do this. Could it be the quality of bedding has changed?

Of course. :)

that's exactly how i felt until my last cruise just this month. Awoke each morning for 8 days in pain. Who wants to awake every morning in pain?

Sometimes it is so hard that it really hurts my hip and wakes me up during the night, so sleeping until morning would be better.

Perhaps it is worse for side sleepers that for back sleepers.

I don't know.

The thing is that egg crates help and they are not expensive.

I guess we could all get one and stuff it into a suitcase somehow to haul with us, but it would be simpler if they had some on board like they used to.

They are still available online -- carnival comfort collection. Matress sets are on there. It also notes they have stateroom pillows and down suite pillows.

Yes! It was my cruise on the Miracle in 2010 that had me research other bedding options at home. I'm so disappointed to learn that they have hard mattresses now. My next cruise is a 12 day/port intensive one and I will not fare well if I'm unable to sleep and sore all over from a hard mattress.

The mattresses on several of the ships are now much much harder than they used to be. It's not the age of a mattress or the age of the people. Soft mattresses are being replaced with very hard ones. It's real. I haven't read this whole thread, and I'm guessing from the little that I've seen that I'm glad I haven't. Some of you have cruised recently and have had the nice, comfy beds. That's great. I have too. But those beds are not on every ship or in every room. As beds are replaced, they are replaced by the new rock hard beds.

I noticed this first 2 years ago on the Miracle. I blamed the ship, but would later find out that this is the new trend for Carnival. The cheaper, rock beds are what they're heading towards. I slept horrible on the Miracle. 5 months ago on the Triumph, we had the nice, comfy beds. Then on the Breeze last month, back to the solid rock beds. Breeze is a new ship, so all their beds will be rocks. Triumph still had some of the rooms with the old, comfy beds.

On the Breeze, I slept so horrible the first 2 nights. I considered trying to sleep in the serenity area or even just on a deck chair. On the 3rd night, I started sleeping on top of the comforter and switched how I usually sleep, and that helped. I have never had a rough sleep due to mattresses being hard, except on a few of the Carnival ships in these last 2+ years. Hotels of all sorts, my home mattresses that are 20+ years old, new mattresses, friends homes, couches, cars, etc. Never a problem due to it being too hard. Only on these Carnival ships. However, before my Miracle cruise 2 years ago, I was having the best sleeps of my life on Carnival ships. That's because this switch started taking place sometime around 2010-2011. I can't believe that some people feel that we shouldn't care how hard the beds are. If you can't sleep, it makes you grumpy, dreary, and unable to enjoy the cruise as much. Yes, I absolutely want to get a good sleep when on vacation.

And, no, I am not a Carnival hater looking for something to gripe about. I'm just trying to be honest & prepare people for what they're really in for. Other than hard beds and lack of entertainment on a few of the ships (playlist), I enjoy Carnival cruises & would recommend them to people who are okay with those potential issues.[/QUOT

Thank You !

I'm almost afraid to reopen this thread but I promised I would report back. We're just off Paradise today and you'll be happy to know that they still have the good mattresses and bedding. Our bed was very comfortable. The only problem I had was that the room seemed to be a bit too warm to really enjoy that squishy, fluffy comforter.

Here is a picture of the mattress label:

ry%3D480

I'm almost afraid to reopen this thread but I promised I would report back. We're just off Paradise today and you'll be happy to know that they still have the good mattresses and bedding. Our bed was very comfortable. The only problem I had was that the room seemed to be a bit too warm to really enjoy that squishy, fluffy comforter.

Here is a picture of the mattress label:

ry%3D480

Several threads about the cabin temps. If no one complains it will stay that way.

Just off the Breeze. Cabins 9238 and 9242 and 2236

Matresses were mixed opinions but all agreed they are not like they used to be. Those who complained the most were fairly obese so that may or may not have any correleation. Just pointing out my group and cruise.

Most said they were plenty adequate. 2 complained to Guest Services. Nobody said they were awesome like we used to.

We have always found the beds to be super comfortable - however on our recent back to back on the valor we found the beds very uncomfortable.

99% of the time our bed as been comfortable.

However IF you get a cabin with a brand new mattress that needs to be broken in OR a cabin with a mattress that is reaching the end of its life.....

then you can get one that does not suit you.

We just saw about 2 dozen mattresses being offloaded at Cozumel (as I understand it headed to an orphanage) and they looked fine but probably not up to Carnival standards.

Matresses were mixed opinions but all agreed they are not like they used to be. Those who complained the most were fairly obese so that may or may not have any correleation. Just pointing out my group and cruise.

Most said they were plenty adequate. 2 complained to Guest Services. Nobody said they were awesome like we used to.

Forgot to add - I slept just fine and was perfectly ok with it.

I'm just as fat now as I was three years ago and the bed I had on the Pride this past week was horrible. Worse than I expected from reports on this thread, and definitely worse than I remembered. Bad enough that I won't book Carnival again until this issue is taken seriously.

I'm just as fat now as I was three years ago and the bed I had on the Pride this past week was horrible. Worse than I expected from reports on this thread, and definitely worse than I remembered. Bad enough that I won't book Carnival again until this issue is taken seriously.

They are definitely different as noticed in my group. They heavy folks HATED the mattresses while others (slight to average builds) said they were adequate but still not as good as before. Still the heaviest absolutely hated the new ones and also said they wont sail on them again.

When we went on our B2B Glory, then Breeze, I had been saying we should expect great bedding...I couldn't say we felt it was great bedding...though we were not affected by backaches...we did enjoy both cruises as to the food & service, but the entertainment was not so great. :):):):)

Ok I'm a matress pillow, sheets snob and my current matress cost me 5k. Just did 2 cruises on the older fascination and was quite comfortable and impressed. Also, as usual the first thing I did was turn off the freezer (AC)

Normal size man here if that helps. No complaints on anything from the 10 plus cabins we booked except for the rooms behind cold. However, the one super sized person was hot?????

Archived