NOt eating in dining room

DW and I have never eaten breakfast or lunch in the MDR in 21 cruises. For dinner, there are 2 determining factors. #1. Table size/location, table mates, and service 1st night and maybe 1st 2 nights. #2. Menu available. There have been nights we just aren't excited about the menu, so we go to the buffet. Never come home from a cruise hungry.

Ok, so now people who eat at the buffet are unsociable AND pull the tips too (as said by another poster)? Really? How rude by both posters.

One if the reasons stated frequently by people who remove the auto tips is that they don't eat in the MDR.

One if the reasons stated frequently by people who remove the auto tips is that they don't eat in the MDR.

No, a poster implied that's why people don't eat in the MDR so they can remove the tips. Big difference. Who cares where someone eats? The OP simply asked why they choose one over the other.

I'd book anytime dinning. Don't wanna be stuck for 2 hours in the mdr

ATD in our experience has not been faster, in fact slower. I don't know if Carnival has changed but last time I did ATD the waitstaff waited until all their tables were full before taking any orders. Sometimes a 15-20 minute wait. Just this past April, we sat down, were handed menus and ordered within 5-10 minutes. Pacing of dinner was good, too.

Not sure i follow. In this thread you say you'd book anytime dining because you don't want to be stuck 2 hours in the MDR?

Are you saying you get out of the MDR faster if you have anytime dining?

Bill

I've not taken a carnival cruise yet but some reports on here atd was faster on ncl I can be in and out of the mdr in 45 minutes give or take. Go at 6pm 1st show starts at 7 make I've been able to make it to the show with plenty of time to find a good seat

Whats the rush to finish dinner, (with traditional seating).

The evening shows are scheduled at the right times.

1.5 hours for dinner is not bad.

Some posters have to say where they are rushing off to.

Alot of posters say dinner time is family time.

For one to two hours, have a conversation.

By the way you are on a cruise, no driving, parking or any other hassles with a nice dinner and show night out.

Whats the rush to finish dinner, (with traditional seating).

The evening shows are scheduled at the right times.

1.5 hours for dinner is not bad.

Some posters have to say where they are rushing off to.

Alot of posters say dinner time is family time.

For one to two hours, have a conversation.

By the way you are on a cruise, no driving, parking or any other hassles with a nice dinner and show night out.

Until I was 16 or so every Sunday of my life was spent at my grandparents house for dinner. (which was wonderful and I loved them dearly and miss them)

BUT we were glued to that table for Hours !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The men would move the TV in the living room so it would face the dining room , so they could eat and watch the game at the same time .

Course after course being served and you had to sit there .

I just haven't been a linger at the table all night kind of person. I would just rather eat, and then go find a nice comfortable lounge and sit around and talk in comfort. Even better someplace where you can have a smoke while you are doing it.

On a recent cruise we at in the MDR twice we enjoyed the food but we aren't very social. Even with a table for two it felt like we were stacked right onto the table for two next to us and both times the people we ended up next to jumped into our conversation!

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

I had two cruises where, because my mother was with me, she didn't want to eat in the dining room. We ate at the buffet and I didn't enjoy my meal because of the seriously limited choice of what to eat. There was no Mongolian Grill on the ship and the burger bar was closed. Mom loved buffet. I hated it.

One cruise I had a rotten table and no matter what choices the maitre'd gave me for tables it wouldn't work for me. I didn't like my MDR options, so I went buffet. The burger bar was kept open longer on the Freedom (the new ship at the time), and Mongolian Grill was open later. It was OK, but I was tired of dinner buffet's after that forever. Thank the stars it was a six day cruise.

I would eat breakfast and lunch buffet because there is a lot more choice. If I didn't want a burger or deli sandwich, I'd go to the buffet. On the new ship and Funship 2.0 I stay away from buffet except for the Chocolate Extravaganza. I've tried the seaside BBQ on sea day, Cuchina del Capitano, Burrito bar, Blue Iguana Cantina, and best of them all GUY BURGERS!!!!!!

If I went on the Breeze I would be in trouble cuz I would want to go have a pasta bowl at Cuchina and a burger at Guy's Burger for lunch.......sea day I would have to add seaside BBQ to that...I can't eat three meals at one sitting....

I havent cruised before but I am planning to go to both just to see what they are like.

I watched a youtube video (Can't find it atm) that showed the buffet and it looked quite good, esp as I like to try as much as I can!

OP here, thanks for all the insights. I've gone on several cruises and have always eaten in the MDR for dinner. My next cruise is very port intensive and Im debating getting ready for the dining room or just relaxing. plus I am only doing carry-one this time. I'm sure I will do MDR a few times <gotta get my chocolate melting cake fix, lol) and maybe try a few buffets.

The best thing about cruising is there are options for everyone!

OP here, thanks for all the insights. I've gone on several cruises and have always eaten in the MDR for dinner. My next cruise is very port intensive and Im debating getting ready for the dining room or just relaxing. plus I am only doing carry-one this time. I'm sure I will do MDR a few times <gotta get my chocolate melting cake fix, lol) and maybe try a few buffets.

The best thing about cruising is there are options for everyone!

Yeah, from what I've read. it is only available in the MDR.

Archived