thomson excursions

I was just looking at the excursions for our up-coming cruise. Now I have a (vague) recollection that the last time I did this, two years ago, it was possible to book excursions in advance but pay for them when you got to the ship, but I can't see a way of doing this. So either (a) my memory is faulty, (b) it has all changed, or © there is a way of doing it that I haven't found.

So can one of you knowledgable people tell me what the situation is?

They have only been doing this since Feb 2012.

You wil need to enter your booking reference, date of departure & ship then it will provide you with a list of excursions available to you. You have to pay for them at the time of booking & your tickets will arrive in your cabin within 24 hours of your arrival on ship.

If you decide to cancel any - or if Thomson don't run the trip, they refund you to the original card you paid with.

You wil get a detailed itinerary of any trips you book to take with you.

I was just looking at the excursions for our up-coming cruise. Now I have a (vague) recollection that the last time I did this, two years ago, it was possible to book excursions in advance but pay for them when you got to the ship, but I can't see a way of doing this. So either (a) my memory is faulty, (b) it has all changed, or © there is a way of doing it that I haven't found.

So can one of you knowledgable people tell me what the situation is?

I think the ability to book ahead on-line is a relatively new facility - perhaps only been possible for the last 2/3 seasons. But I've never been aware of the option to book and pay later.

As far as I know it's either book on-line - and pay (use a debit card though as they charge you for a Credit Card transaction)

or

wait until you are on board and book when it will be charged to your on-board account.

Something you might be interested to read about though - there was quite a furore on here a little while ago about the offer once on board of free excursions on the basis of buy 2 get one free type of thing (on selected combinations of trips only) which understandably made people very cross if they'd bought ahead. If those offers had been available in advance it may well have changed people's choices if they had been wavering between one combination of trips and another but one 'package' would generate a free trip for you.

I can understand if up-take was poor they might well be keen to promote trips but it took people by surprise and caused a lot of bad P.R. as passengers felt duped and that they'd been treated unfairly.

Actually we've not heard any more about that for some time so perhaps Thomson have thought better of that approach. Anyone know if it's still going on?

Here's a thread terry so you can read about it if you want to.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1797940&highlight=excursions+freebies

Something you might be interested to read about though - there was quite a furore on here a little while ago about the offer once on board of free excursions on the basis of buy 2 get one free type of thing (on selected combinations of trips only) which understandably made people very cross if they'd bought ahead. If those offers had been available in advance it may well have changed people's choices if they had been wavering between one combination of trips and another but one 'package' would generate a free trip for you.

Actually we've not heard any more about that for some time so perhaps Thomson have thought better of that approach. Anyone know if it's still going on?

On the Dream two weeks ago they were offering a free trip in Valencia if you booked 3 others :eek: namely Cadiz City Tour, Sagres (from Portimao and Port of Culture (from Cartegena)

Of course this was a one off cruise, so not sure what is happening this summer :confused:

On the Dream two weeks ago they were offering a free trip in Valencia if you booked 3 others :eek: namely Cadiz City Tour, Sagres (from Portimao and Port of Culture (from Cartegena)

Of course this was a one off cruise, so not sure what is happening this summer :confused:

If this sort of thing happens & you have already booked, surely it's worth cancelling onboard & re-booking? Either that or argue the case that you already have so many booked & they need to honour the offer; it clearly states on the excursion details that they are not cheaper onboard

If this sort of thing happens & you have already booked, surely it's worth cancelling onboard & re-booking? Either that or argue the case that you already have so many booked & they need to honour the offer; it clearly states on the excursion details that they are not cheaper onboard

I was asking the travel services woman the same question a few weeks ago .

Her answer was... yes but we do have a standby list (people who want to book should anyone drop out of a tour )

So you would go to the back of that queue should you cancell your tour .

You would need all three tours to have no waiting list .

Looks like they reward the last minute crowd Jules :(

I was asking the travel services woman the same question a few weeks ago .

Her answer was... yes but we do have a standby list (people who want to book should anyone drop out of a tour )

So you would go to the back of that queue should you cancell your tour .

You would need all three tours to have no waiting list .

Looks like they reward the last minute crowd Jules :(

Seems vey unfair although we always have to travel in peak season so I can't imagine there will be problems filling the tours so hopefully they won't need to offer these incentives, having said that, we haven't booked many for this year as there seems to be a lot we can DIY

I think the ability to book ahead on-line is a relatively new facility - perhaps only been possible for the last 2/3 seasons. But I've never been aware of the option to book and pay later.

As far as I know it's either book on-line - and pay (use a debit card though as they charge you for a Credit Card transaction)

or

wait until you are on board and book when it will be charged to your on-board account.

Thanks everyone.

It looks like it is my memory that is faulty and that I'm getting my cruise lines mixed up.

"Her answer was... yes but we do have a standby list (people who want to book should anyone drop out of a tour )"

Hi Kalos - sounds like the old market traders ploy ?

Ladies & Gents - this is the last one left on the stall - so once it's gone, it's gone, and they're ain't no more left etc., etc.

Then suddenly his assistant whispers in his ear - and they've managed to "find" a few extra.

We've always found there are vacancies available onboard unless

1. It's a very popular excursion that is obviously going to be sought after.

or

2. We've left it way too late to book.

The popular excursions tend to be where people are not too confident to go ashore DIY, or it is difficult to reach a tourist attraction and get back in the time available unless you take the official excursion.

We've always found there are vacancies available onboard unless

1. It's a very popular excursion that is obviously going to be sought after.

or

2. We've left it way too late to book.

The popular excursions tend to be where people are not too confident to go ashore DIY, or it is difficult to reach a tourist attraction and get back in the time available unless you take the official excursion.

Yes that's right. There are dozens of coaches lined up in destinations where DiY is difficult (e.g. Red Sea) but very few comparatively in say, Barcelona or the Caribbean where lots do a DiY.

But regarding the waiting list they do sometimes put on extra trips too - if they have a waiting list that grows to the level where it's cost effective for them to hire an extra coach. In that case everyone on the waiting list would be able to go (as long as it didn't exceed the capacity of the coach!) and wouldn't necessarily be dependent on people dropping out. But of course there's no guarantee that yhis will happen so it's very much a lottery.

Sometimes too you have to watch out for 'Limited Availability'. Might be one of your marketing ploys of course WCM, but I think there are a few trips which do have a limited number of places e.g. a catamaran or submarine trip (if they can't hire a second boat) or a visit to the Hermitage if the Gold Room is included as only small groups of 15 are admitted at a time with the Hermitage guides so there are only so many can be fitted in per day and Thomson would only be able to secure a few slots.

So it's worth bearing that in mind - I always check to see if there is something we definitely want to do and it turns out to be 'Ltd' I will book online to be sure of securing the excursion.

anyone know if they are offering free promotions on ancient wonders?

I'm a little dubious about booking in advance after the last (dream caribbean) debacle!

Don't know Geo, as we are doing the Baltics.

However I think I am going to take a copy of the thread (if I can find it!) where Dan/Rhianna assured us any offers on the ship would apply to customers who had already booked online.

However I think I am going to take a copy of the thread (if I can find it!) where Dan/Rhianna assured us any offers on the ship would apply to customers who had already booked online.

yup...me too happy (if I can also find it)

my plan is to wait until we are on board and weigh up any offers then....however (for me)...looking at most of the ancient wonders threads on these boards, its looks like most/all of the ports are do-able on your own anyway

"Might be one of your marketing ploys of course WCM,"

Objection Your Honour - pure cconjecture without a shred of evidence. I demand that is stricken from the records. My learned friend is trying to distract and confuse the jury with irrelevant speculation.

Objection upheld !!!

yup...me too happy (if I can also find it)

my plan is to wait until we are on board and weigh up any offers then....however (for me)...looking at most of the ancient wonders threads on these boards, its looks like most/all of the ports are do-able on your own anyway

Ah well that's good, for us in St Petersburg we will have to go on the excursions.

"Might be one of your marketing ploys of course WCM,"

Objection Your Honour - pure conjecture without a shred of evidence. I demand that is stricken from the records. My learned friend is trying to distract and confuse the jury with irrelevant speculation.

Objection upheld !!!

:)

thanks guys

I have been to istanbul before (quite a few years ago tho) other than the bazaar labyrinths I really dont remember too much (you know how sometimes different places merge together after a time)

I was thinking a trip on the bosporus would be nice, relaxing (romantic) but the ship sailaway sounds perfect and by all accounts the lido deck has been done up is now a nice pleasant place to be to watch it, so may do that instead, followed by horizons:cool::cool:

I am trying to figure out what ms magot might like to do in istanbul? rather than what I might like??....this holiday is meant to be her treat after all....trouble is! ...I cant resist taking over......she's already suffered years of being dragged around various swamps looking at wildlife:eek: when she is actually more of a pashmina shopping kind of girl (guys? will I need T lira for this or will euros be good?)

hoho bus sounds about right for us....we can properly explore some of the sights and I can just follow along carrying the shopping bags

now.....onto the next port, Athens....have never been to Greece:confused:

Archived