What NOT to take on your cruise

delily

Just got back from 12 days on the Spirit. When packing for the cruise I thought I was doing a pretty good job packing. My husband and I had one suitcase each and one carry on between the two of us. Now that I'm home I can say that we both took WAY too many clothes. Twice during the cruise, NCL offered the $25 stuff a bag laundry special. I expected the bags to be very small but what surprised me was just how much you can get into one of those bags. We washed 6 polo shirts, 2 blouses, 2 t-shirts, a pair of pajamas, and 3 pair of Dockers plus several pair of socks and DH's under shorts. Had I known this before leaving home I could have packed half as much and lightened my suitcase which was very heavy to haul around the airports. Next time I'll be packing for 6 days instead of 12 and use the laundry service.

Thanks Delily for this info! I'll be on the Spirit in September for the 12 day cruise and was wondering how many times they would have the "stuff the bag" laundry special. I am definitely going to cut back on what I pack knowing that it will take place twice!

I hear you, but since I'm sailing out of NYC or Boston half the time I just do t k ow what the weather is going to be like.... It forces me to way, WAY overpack. Oh well, at least I don't have to fly and deal with that!

Just got back from 12 days on the Spirit. When packing for the cruise I thought I was doing a pretty good job packing. My husband and I had one suitcase each and one carry on between the two of us. Now that I'm home I can say that we both took WAY too many clothes. Twice during the cruise, NCL offered the $25 stuff a bag laundry special. I expected the bags to be very small but what surprised me was just how much you can get into one of those bags. We washed 6 polo shirts, 2 blouses, 2 t-shirts, a pair of pajamas, and 3 pair of Dockers plus several pair of socks and DH's under shorts. Had I known this before leaving home I could have packed half as much and lightened my suitcase which was very heavy to haul around the airports. Next time I'll be packing for 6 days instead of 12 and use the laundry service.

I wonder if the laundry separates dark from lights. Was there any shrinkage with the shirts?

I just got back from 12 days on the Dawn, and lugged waay to many clothes. The only thing that I wish I packed, but didn't, was a warmer sweater. The public rooms and corridors are sooo cold. I did end up catching a bad cold on board.

I don't know how they do laundry but everything came back fine. They must not keep things together because each piece of clothing came back with a code of some sort stuck to it on and inside seam somewhere.

Were your clothes very wrinkled when they came back or nicely folded. We will on a 16 day cruise next year and can't take that much clothing so sending in the "bag" for laundry will have to be used, really just curious.

I do not know if they separate the laundry, but I gave it to them dark and light clothes,,The clothing came back better than I have ever ever seen my laundry. Folded, Pressed, fresh and felt extremely clean,,,I would like to know their laundry secrets, I actually took a photo of my clean laundry when it arrived..

When sailing on the Gem last summer we took the behind the scenes tour. When in the laundry what did I see but one of the blouses from our bag, set aside for special handling as it was delicate. They steamed it nicely, and it came back with all our other hanging clothes on hangers in perfect condition. :D

Took a behind the scenes tour. All clothing is tagged so they know the cabin number. Then they are all washed together. That is why I do not send my clothes out. I also do not dry my clothes at home as they do on the ship.

I do not know if they separate the laundry, but I gave it to them dark and light clothes,,The clothing came back better than I have ever ever seen my laundry. Folded, Pressed, fresh and felt extremely clean,,,I would like to know their laundry secrets, I actually took a photo of my clean laundry when it arrived..

Among other things, they use a hypoallergenic disinfecting detergent. That makes a big difference in the cleaning, and when I've taken tours...yes, they separate laundry. The last thing they want to do is ruin something you've asked them to wash.

DML

Archived