Pre Loaded Card

we have just got a pre loaded card through the Co Op travel agency and got 1200 euros for £1005. We have used this type of card in spain but not on Cruise, hope we have done the right thing.

Everything on the Ship is priced in pounds so you will have the conversion back.

If it's a credit card they will charge you 2.5% extra, it's best to have the money in your current account and use a debit card as there is no surcharge then.

I have got a travel card with Euro's loaded to it ,only the odd hundred .

I got it as a back up for when we go to Ireland and have used it for eating out or car fuel and it costs me nothing using it that way .

However I do take it onboard Thomson ships but never use it as they deal

in sterling and as people on here will tell you the exchange rate is not very good onboard the Thomson ships .

I have a second Debit card and use that account only for my cruise trips to pay my onboard account .

Everything on the Ship is priced in pounds so you will have the conversion back.

If it's a credit card they will charge you 2.5% extra, it's best to have the money in your current account and use a debit card as there is no surcharge then.

We will use debit card on ship,

We tried to pay off our onboard account at the end of the cruise with a preloaded card but they would not accept it even although it was a Thomsons card! Apparently it was the wrong type of card for their system. We had registered a debit card on boarding though so we just used that.

we have just got a pre loaded card through the Co Op travel agency and got 1200 euros for £1005. We have used this type of card in spain but not on Cruise, hope we have done the right thing.

Out of interest, is I the same as a debit/credit card ie, do you have a PIN number & what happens if you lose it? Assume it is fairly safe?

If you get money out of cashpoints, is there a charge & are you only going to countries that take Euro otherwise it will have o be converted again?

We use a Nationwide Credit card for all our foreign transactions - not cash - there is no charge or commission at all for using this & the exchange rate is very competitive. We use Nationwide Debit for taking money out - exchange rate very good but they do charge a flat rate per withdrawal which isn't great if you are visiting if different countries & only taking a small amount out each time!

Out of interest, is I the same as a debit/credit card ie, do you have a PIN number & what happens if you lose it? Assume it is fairly safe?

If you get money out of cashpoints, is there a charge & are you only going to countries that take Euro otherwise it will have o be converted again?

We use a Nationwide Credit card for all our foreign transactions - not cash - there is no charge or commission at all for using this & the exchange rate is very competitive. We use Nationwide Debit for taking money out - exchange rate very good but they do charge a flat rate per withdrawal which isn't great if you are visiting if different countries & only taking a small amount out each time!

also it is covered if it gets stolen which happened in majorca but we had our money transferred within 24 hours

My Carlton FX currency card (only for emergency use) is linked to a regular bank debit card account - so if a transaction were to take it into the red then funds are automatically taken from that bank account to compensate.

I suspect other (all ?) currency cards work like this ?

Can I suggest you ditch your Nationwide debit card for withdrawing foreign currency from ATMs abroad and get either a MetroBank current account with a debit card or either of the N & P Gold account debit cards - all of which incur no fees when used at foreign ATMs.

Ours wasn't linked to a bank account which we thought was quite good if it got stolen. You used it like a debit card to pay in shops or restaurants and to withdraw from ATM but only up to the amount you had preloaded. If it was lost or stolen you did not lose your money (rather like travellers cheques).

Hi Sheila,

Personally I've never reckoned a pre-loaded currency card as a better option than the best credit or debit card accounts that are available.

To my mind they are OK as an emergency backup, or to give to a teenager where you can limit their spending potential.

Just an opinion.

Actually we hardly used it although we had it for two years! It was offered to us in the Thomson shop as an alternative to travellers cheques but as we always had euros with us, and didn't spend much when off the ship, it wasn't needed. We eventually went back to the shop and got the cash back. They do expire after a certain time too so you can lose the money.

Actually we hardly used it although we had it for two years! It was offered to us in the Thomson shop as an alternative to travellers cheques but as we always had euros with us, and didn't spend much when off the ship, it wasn't needed. We eventually went back to the shop and got the cash back. They do expire after a certain time too so you can lose the money.

I have got one and it's for emergency back up only ,I do not use it for hole in the wall money ,

even in the UK I try to avoid the use of those machines .

Three things that drew me to it was...

1) If I load a good rate I keep that rate .

2) It is no way linked to any of my other accounts, so no risk however slight.

3) Unlike some cards they do not close your card down and take your money . This CARD LASTS SIX YEARS (after the expiry date) :cool:

6.3.3 If the Card has not been used in the six months prior to the expiry date, or if you do not reply to the email, or if you have not registered an email address with My Account, then we’ll close your Account on the expiry date. Any outstanding Available Balance on the Card at expiry will remain yours for a period of six years from the last date on which the Card was last loaded with e-money. Within these six years, you can request a refund anytime by emailing us at Customerservices@TUIPrepaid.co.uk or for Thomson Cards by phoning +44 (0)2031 300 133 or for First Choice Cards by phoning +44(0) 2031 300 135, both lines are open 24 hours a day. Any funds remaining on the Card for in excess of six years from the last date on which the Card was loaded with e-money will not be returned to you.

I just got an email from Caxton FX cards - load exchange rate for today is 1.1370 Euro to the Pound.

Yesterday the AA Currency Card offer was 1.1066 Euro, which is poor.

You need to shop around, study the terms & conditions and check out the small print etc.

We've always done the same thing when going abroad. We make sure there is plenty of cash in the debit account as a back up, credit card as a further backup and take foreign currency and £500 sterling. Everything is kept in the safe. We prefer not to use ATM's or credit cards, if possible, as the exchange rate is a bit of an unknown quantity. We usually bring back the sterling and keep it for the next time. We have to pre order Bank of England notes as Scottish notes are not recognised in most countries, which is why we keep them until the next time.

We've always done the same thing when going abroad. We make sure there is plenty of cash in the debit account as a back up, credit card as a further backup and take foreign currency and £500 sterling. Everything is kept in the safe. We prefer not to use ATM's or credit cards, if possible, as the exchange rate is a bit of an unknown quantity. We usually bring back the sterling and keep it for the next time. We have to pre order Bank of England notes as Scottish notes are not recognised in most countries, which is why we keep them until the next time.

Hi Little Nell

We do the same (must be the Scottish way of dealing with money;)). Got our currency and English sterling yesterday for next week. Still had some from last October and there will probably be enough left for September. Who knows, there may even be enough for April.:D

Did you noticed that geomagot was kind enough to answer my question (on behalf of Thomson:rolleyes:) about the safes for the 21/27 night crossing. Hope they are rewarding him for doing their job.:eek: At least we now know the answer.. or do we?:(

:)

Did you noticed that geomagot was kind enough to answer my question (on behalf of Thomson:rolleyes about the safes for the 21/27 night crossing. Hope they are rewarding him for doing their job.:eek: At least we now know the answer.. or do we?:(

they will never answer skion??....they dont know themselves? They will just dream up something on the day and wing it

just like the 3 types of housewine unanswered question from last year....I know for myself now and can answer for them

the 3 types of housewine are:

white.....barely palatable

red...aka lamp oil

and rose....ga:eek::eek::eek:hh!!

:D

"We have to pre order Bank of England notes as Scottish notes are not recognised in most countries, which is why we keep them until the next time."

You'll get Bank of England notes from any HSBC ATM in Scotland.

Very rarely use an ATM unless they are inside the bank. Get any BofE notes we need from Clydesdale without any bother and they use a PIN machine at the counter.:)

they will never answer skion??....they dont know themselves? They will just dream up something on the day and wing it

just like the 3 types of housewine unanswered question from last year....I know for myself now and can answer for them

the 3 types of housewine are:

white.....barely palatable

red...aka lamp oil

and rose....ga:eek::eek::eek:hh!!

Hi geomagot

I don't expect them to answer and your answers are so much better and more informative than any they could come up with.:)

I don't drink so not bothered about their alcohol, although DH would like a palatable pint of beer - not the wishy washy gassy stuff they normally serve. So long as I get diet coke (not pepsi) and the occasional fresh orange, not the watery stuff they serve at breakfast, I'll be fine.:)

"We have to pre order Bank of England notes as Scottish notes are not recognised in most countries, which is why we keep them until the next time."

You'll get Bank of England notes from any HSBC ATM in Scotland.

I used to get bank of England notes in Edinburgh airport until one time it was Scottish notes they gave me :eek:

Skioncruises, I missed that about the cost of the safes. What was the reply?

Geo, I used to be a red wine drinker until I hit digestive problems, so rose wine is now my drink of choice with dinner. I am gutted to see the comments about the quality of the rose wine as it was good on the majesty :(

Always better to be forewarned though and will need to come up with a plan B :D

Geo, I used to be a red wine drinker until I hit digestive problems, so rose wine is now my drink of choice with dinner. I am gutted to see the comments about the quality of the rose wine as it was good on the majesty :(

Hi Little Nell

It was in geomagot's reply in the Faq thread post no 7 where he dealt with various queries/points (on behalf of Thomson - ha ha:eek:). My question which relates to us both, as well as others, is about half way down. Here's his reply:

"Q: Well I can tell you that it costs £25 for 2 weeks and £15 for one week, but can you tell me how much the charge is for using a safe on longer repositioning cruises? say 27 days?

faq: dunno, we will just put an unspecified debit onto your bill at the end plus 2%."

He is absolutely fantastic at putting words together, not just in this particular post but others too. :)

I had house rose and house white when we were on the Dream and I thought they were OK .:D

Mind you if you ask for a glass they do try to sell you a bottle :eek: and they will keep the bottle for you for later!

Hi Little Nell

It was in geomagot's reply in the Faq thread post no 7 where he dealt with various queries/points (on behalf of Thomson - ha ha:eek:). My question which relates to us both, as well as others, is about half way down. Here's his reply:

"Q: Well I can tell you that it costs £25 for 2 weeks and £15 for one week, but can you tell me how much the charge is for using a safe on longer repositioning cruises? say 27 days?

faq: dunno, we will just put an unspecified debit onto your bill at the end plus 2%."

He is absolutely fantastic at putting words together, not just in this particular post but others too. :)

Thanks, I have been out a lot recently and haven't kept up with everything.

Agreed, Geo is the best :)

Archived