Just off the Independence of the seas and...........

A few issues to be honest,

1.) The new menu's, last September on Indy with every meal, accompaniments were brought to the table and offered with every meal (extra vegetables, steak fries and sample starter/desserts etc) but this time they was not offered, certain accompaniments are put on the menu and available but you have to ask for them, there was no mention of them by the waiter nor were they easy to spot on the menu. This seemed to be more of a corporate directive rather than a bad waiter as everyone we spoke to had the same experience.

The second issue with the new menu's was the planning and thought process, it was a 14 day cruise, you think it would make sense to vary the dishes throughout the cruise oh no, no Lamb main course until day 11, then wow Lamb on days 11,12 and 14. I know it seems such a small thing, but surely a bit of simple planning would prevent this and make the menu's appear far more varied. The one thing I will say is that every item I ordered was well cooked and full of flavour, no complaints on the quality of the food from me.

2.) Bar service and Drinks, let me start by saying I did not get the drinks package neither soft drinks or alcohol, however I witnessed on far too many occasions people with the drinks package having to wait up to 30 minutes for their drinks, whilst people paying on their seapass cards got theirs within 5 minutes max. that is not acceptable at all.

The 1 issue that did affect me directly regarding drinks was quite surreal, I ordered 1 bottle of Beringer from gifts and gear for the first night in the dining room and the 12 bottle wine package. Upon arrival in the dining room, no wine, I could accept this if we had not been assigned a table, however, we checked in at 10:30am and our dining room table was already printed on the card, so they had at least 7hrs to get the wine ready for dinner. We made our introductions to our waiter and assistant waiter and I enquired straight away to the whereabouts of the wine. I provided the waiter with the printed internet receipt and he went to investigate, when he returned he informed me that Beringer was not available tonight and could he offer another bottle as a substitute, this was accepted and enjoyed. However, day 2, a sea day, in the middle of the Bay of Biscay, Beringer was suddenly available, amazing, RCI managed to fly into the middle of the sea some bottles of Beringer!!! top marks for that. Sadly it did not end there, day 4 and Beringer had sold out and was not to be replenished for the remainder of the cruise, suddenly RCI had gone from amazingly managing to acquire some at seas to not being able to acquire some from a shop in port, incredible.

3.) Please, don't forget to wash your hands, Yes that wonderful cruise line quote you hear when you go to the toilet, as if we suddenly become unhygienic animals on holiday, well maybe in the windjammer :) ,however toilets were constantly out of soap and a couple of toilets seemed to have a issue with no hot water, and some taps that just did not work. Not great for a ship just out of drydock. Interestingly when we pointed out to a staff member that a hand sanitizer machine was empty, they did absolutely nothing to correct it, I can now understand somewhat why some people do not sanitize.

4.) Drydock and ship improvements, Big screen by pool is actually quite subtle and looks good, but, during a 14 night cruise, there was only 1 night when there was a film scheduled for it, granted some tv shows were shown on there like the cruise directors morning show etc, it has real potential and hopefully they can find a way to schedule regular films or shows on there. If anyone is interested the 1 film they put on was called OZ:, we had never heard of it, and it did not get much of a write up to convince me to watch.

Cupcake Cupboard was very nice, the large cupcakes are so large I felt afterwards like I had consumed a full meal:D

We did not use Giovanni's table nor did we speak to anyone who had, so I can not offer comment there

5.) Entertainment, We have seen the Production shows and Ice shows numerous times and whilst they are very good, they offer little replay value, especially the production shows. The headliner shows were excellent and varied, very enjoyable. My 1 little moan here is that everything seems to be scheduled into 45 minute slots, you can be really getting into something, for example battle of the sexes and then it has to end because of the 45 minute limit, just seems such a shame thats all.

The cruise director and his staff were not the best we have ever seen to be honest, but that is just a personal preference and not necessarily a poor reflection of them.

Overall, we had a great time, finally got round to trying the flowrider and that is great fun, also enjoyed the sports court, trivia events, gameshows, live music and met some wonderful and varied characters, we did not get the greatest of weather all of the time but we can never change that. The food and drink issues were a shame but for us, they did not make or break the holiday, its just seems so strange that the little extras/basic service/planning that cost so little or nothing to RCI which were there on Independence of the Seas in September last year, have now gone. Hopefully this is a one off and will not be a sign of things to come.

Would I sail RCI/Independence of the Seas again? Yes, some of the facilities just can not be rivalled, RCI really has the WOW with their ships, but I will look closer at trying other cruise lines as well just to sample the service.

One last thing

Whilst typing this, we put the cruise in review DVD on, we fell for the trap of buying it as we were featured on it. Well turns out nobody is on it as we have been sold a blank DVD, typical, but I suppose it saves cringing everytime I see myself dancing.

Right end of my small moan, my fingers are tired.

Keep Smiling.

Kind Regards

Oddjob

I can read it ok and am a little concerned. Has it gone downhill do you think? We are on it again for the 5th time in 8 weeks. One silly question - do you have to pay at the cupboard cupboard or is that included? I am guessing you have to pay. It's not an issue - just wondering.

One last thing

Whilst typing this, we put the cruise in review DVD on, we fell for the trap of buying it as we were featured on it. Well turns out nobody is on it as we have been sold a blank DVD, typical, but I suppose it saves cringing everytime I see myself dancing.

Try turning it over. We were given a DVD on the Allure Maiden voyage and the UK and U.S. versions were on opposite sides. You may have put on the U.S. side.

I can read it ok and am a little concerned. Has it gone downhill do you think? We are on it again for the 5th time in 8 weeks. One silly question - do you have to pay at the cupboard cupboard or is that included? I am guessing you have to pay. It's not an issue - just wondering.

$2.75 for a large cupcake and it is large, so it is good value, they did smaller ones priced around $1.50 mark, but they were tiny.

As to the issues, its your holiday and it will be whatever you make it, we had a great time and we hope it was just a case of them readjusting after the transatlantic and drydock. Most of our complaints are more about a lack of planning and that should sort itself out within a cruise or 2, the drinks package problems i witnessed were mainly when the drinks waiters come up to you in the bars and venues, just seems really strange to constanyly forget to bring 2 diet cokes, still the person involved eventually just went to the bar and got them instantly, easily solved but it was his holiday and just made him feel a little less special.

As I say I am sure by the time July comes around all will be back to normal, we were probably just unlucky, I mean the wine issue in truth is so bad it can not be the new normal.

Any other questions just ask, I have compasses, the planner and other bits and bobs, so I should be able to answer any questions, but right my real bed is calling, I am definately going to answer it, sleepily, i hope:)

$2.75 for a large cupcake and it is large, so it is good value, they did smaller ones priced around $1.50 mark, but they were tiny.

As to the issues, its your holiday and it will be whatever you make it, we had a great time and we hope it was just a case of them readjusting after the transatlantic and drydock. Most of our complaints are more about a lack of planning and that should sort itself out within a cruise or 2, the drinks package problems i witnessed were mainly when the drinks waiters come up to you in the bars and venues, just seems really strange to constanyly forget to bring 2 diet cokes, still the person involved eventually just went to the bar and got them instantly, easily solved but it was his holiday and just made him feel a little less special.

As I say I am sure by the time July comes around all will be back to normal, we were probably just unlucky, I mean the wine issue in truth is so bad it can not be the new normal.

Any other questions just ask, I have compasses, the planner and other bits and bobs, so I should be able to answer any questions, but right my real bed is calling, I am definately going to answer it, sleepily, i hope:)

Thanks for that - I really appreciate your comments. Just watching the end of the Eurovision voting then will go to bed. Not sure why on earth I am watching it though

Try turning it over. We were given a DVD on the Allure Maiden voyage and the UK and U.S. versions were on opposite sides. You may have put on the U.S. side.

Its only a 1 sided DVD with print on the top side, its no big problem, I will e mail the Miami office and see where I can get a copy from, RCI uk have their own resolution department but I can never find the e mail address:confused:

I find it interesting the only movie they had on the 'big' screen on the Independence was OZ....a Disney movie. We were on the Disney Magic in March and the day OZ premiered nationwide, they also had OZ in 3D several times that day in their wonderful movie theater. By the way, I really enjoyed the movie and the 3D was done really well.

And they DON'T tell you?????:eek: Who would guess!

• 1 month later...

Did you reserve Ice show ticket on RCI website prior to your cruise. When I booked for March 2014 the lady at RCI told me that other than shore excurisons that we have been able to book pre cruise for a long time you can reserve the shows tickets as well.

Thanks,

Marcy

No sorry, is it any good? the compass did not really give it much of a write up unfortunately so I skipped it

I thought it was great....very much a fantasy, but entertaining. Lots of paralells to the "The Wizard of Oz" which is one of my favorite movies so I may be a little biased. You don't have to think a lot to enjoy this movie...it is really just pure entertainment very well done IMHO !:D

Did you reserve Ice show ticket on RCI website prior to your cruise. When I booked for March 2014 the lady at RCI told me that other than shore excurisons that we have been able to book pre cruise for a long time you can reserve the shows tickets as well.

Thanks,

Marcy

Unless something has changed recently, the only ships that allow pre-cruise ice show reservations are Oasis, Allure, Freedom, and Liberty.

• 2 months later...

I was on Independence in January prior to the new menu being added. Our cruise was supposed to be the first one offering the new menu but they had to bump it back a few weeks; so I'm not sure about the new menu offerings last September. :confused:

Archived