Private Car Recommendations

Did they use a van for 7 passengers...and mind telling us the rate ?

Sorry for delay, password forgotten, then remembered, Woo-Hoo!!

They used an 8 seat van I think,also a really cool trailer, we paid around £330GB. Excellent service and value.

We just returned from our cruise out of Southampton. Used Smiths from London to Southampton via Stonehenge. Return was from Southampton to Heathrow via Salisbury. Wonderful drivers and great rates. Prompt - picked us up as promised (they were there early). Very personable drivers.

Thank you all for the recommendations. They are most appreciated.

If anyone else has recommendations, please be sure to post.

Thank you.

Keith

Keith, we've just booked aquacars.co.uk from a hotel near Heathrow to Southampton Docks for the QM2. Price quoted at GBP75. BTW, Smithsforairports quoted GBP67 but we used Aquacars last year and they were very good so we're going with them again. Check them out.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry, late reply, been cruisin' :)

Yes, www.smithsforairports.com.

Cost is likely to be around £90

Or www.westquaycars.com

Also based at the Southampton end, probably just a few GBP more, also popular with cruisers.

I do fret about the rip-off prices I've seen quoted by some Heathrow-based operators.

Haven't heard of Linda's "Great Britain Cars". But their price includes the diversion to Windsor and a two-hour wait so it's not excessive.

With any operator, do check their policy on charging waiting time for delayed flights, parking charges, credit card charges, & anything else they can skin you for.

JB :)

JB....is it normal for the Private Car companies to charge parking lot fees? I just noticed it on my receipt. It says, "that they're not includes."

This is the first time I'm doing this. Thanks!

JB....is it normal for the Private Car companies to charge parking lot fees? I just noticed it on my receipt. It says, "that they're not includes."

re great britain cars we used and paid whatever it was + nice tip to our 4 drivers for the 4 transports -

worth every pound !! so much easier for us old folks to not have to worry re trains and buses -

they took us right to the door wherever we went & helped w/ the luggage far more than necessary

all 4 were very nice - 1 we could not understand a word - 2 were great -

but 1 of them - paolo - was a savior in so many ways !!!

re great britain cars we used and paid whatever it was + nice tip to our 4 drivers for the 4 transports -

worth every pound !! so much easier for us old folks to not have to worry re trains and buses -

they took us right to the door wherever we went & helped w/ the luggage far more than necessary

all 4 were very nice - 1 we could not understand a word - 2 were great -

but 1 of them - paolo - was a savior in so many ways !!!

Thank you! 'm glad to hear that! I got their name by google, not from anyone here.

They do have to pay to park at Heathrow & Gatwick airports while they wait in the arrivals hall for their clients.

They're not charged for dropping off

They also have to pay a fee for credit card payments, but not debit cards.

And a congestion charge (around £6 per day) to go into central London during charging hours (not evenings or weekends). Routes between Heathrow & the cruise ports don't involve going via central London

Some operators include these costs in their up-front price, often quoting slightly different amounts for pick-ups & drop-offs or hotel pick-ups.

Others charge them as add-ons - by law they have to disclose those extras ahead of booking, but they might be buried on an obscure page of their website. Often done in order to quote a low headline price - they may have learned that trick from the cruise industry :D

It can be considered sharp-practice, but even reputable companies do it - OK as long as the bottom line is reasonable compared to others.

They do have to pay to park at Heathrow & Gatwick airports while they wait in the arrivals hall for their clients.

They're not charged for dropping off

They also have to pay a fee for credit card payments, but not debit cards.

And a congestion charge (around £6 per day) to go into central London during charging hours (not evenings or weekends). Routes between Heathrow & the cruise ports don't involve going via central London

Some operators include these costs in their up-front price, often quoting slightly different amounts for pick-ups & drop-offs or hotel pick-ups.

Others charge them as add-ons - by law they have to disclose those extras ahead of booking, but they might be buried on an obscure page of their website. Often done in order to quote a low headline price - they may have learned that trick from the cruise industry :D

It can be considered sharp-practice, but even reputable companies do it - OK as long as the bottom line is reasonable compared to others.

Thank you! I guess it wouldn't hurt for me to email them and ask about what we could expect. It also says to ask the driver for the parking receipt if there was parking charges.

Thank you! I guess it wouldn't hurt for me to email them and ask about what we could expect. It also says to ask the driver for the parking receipt if there was parking charges.

Here are the parking rates they will be paying, for your information :)

http://www.heathrowairport.com/transport-and-directions/heathrow-parking-options/heathrow-short-stay-parking

Archived