Definitely want to walk the town

JerseyshoreBruce

Just replied on your post in the Dom Republic section. I live on Curacao, so I'll be able to give you more answers over here:).

Since you're arriving so late - I would hop in a cab and go to Cabana Beach. Experience sunset after swimming and head back to the downtown area. You can either have dinner onboard and then have a walk downtown (not much to do/see except in the immediate area called Riffort Village). Or you can have dinner downtown (Waterfort Arches have some nice restaurants on the water).

Just replied on your post in the Dom Republic section. I live on Curacao, so I'll be able to give you more answers over here:).

Since you're arriving so late - I would hop in a cab and go to Cabana Beach. Experience sunset after swimming and head back to the downtown area. You can either have dinner onboard and then have a walk downtown (not much to do/see except in the immediate area called Riffort Village). Or you can have dinner downtown (Waterfort Arches have some nice restaurants on the water).

Is the Iguana Cafe ok or is it crappy food......would love to experience local food!

Iguana Café? No. Not really for dinner.

Great place for having drinks, watching people walk by and have some snacks.

Their food is not really good (fried pre-packaged stuff).

Authentic local food is hard to find at night. At Scampi's or Grill King (Waterfort arches) you can find local fish/seafood.

A nice place for dinner (but you will need a cab) is Fort Nassau, which is on top of a hill with nice views of the ship.

Iguana Café? No. Not really for dinner.

Great place for having drinks, watching people walk by and have some snacks.

Their food is not really good (fried pre-packaged stuff).

Authentic local food is hard to find at night. At Scampi's or Grill King (Waterfort arches) you can find local fish/seafood.

A nice place for dinner (but you will need a cab) is Fort Nassau, which is on top of a hill with nice views of the ship.

Thank you :)

How much is the taxi ride to Cabana beach and how long a drive? Do they have washrooms, bar and chairs and umbrellas? Are taxis easy to find for the return to port? Many thanks for the information.

How much is the taxi ride to Cabana beach and how long a drive? Do they have washrooms, bar and chairs and umbrellas? Are taxis easy to find for the return to port? Many thanks for the information.

Taxi is $20 per ride (not per person) and it's about a 10 minute drive.

Yes to washrooms, bar, chairs and umbrellas.

Outside there will be cabs waiting (Cabana is a hotel) or the bar crew will call one for you.

Go to Riffort .... get an ice cream, walk around. You can walk over and see floating bridge but not too much will be open in the downtown. There's a very casual restaurant just across the bridge.... maybe go have a coffee.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello ISA. I was wondering if Mr. Congas restaurant is within walking distance of where the cruise ships dock. I believe it is on the Punda side. How walkable is the floating market and how walkable is it to get to places like Mr Congas and other bars/restaurants?

Any info would be most appreciated. I will be there in two weeks and really just wanted to walk the area and take in the culture, but mr congas was a place I really would like to visit. (great mojitos and Cuban food from what I read) :)

Thank you so much!

Taxi is $20 per ride (not per person) and it's about a 10 minute drive.

Yes to washrooms, bar, chairs and umbrellas.

Outside there will be cabs waiting (Cabana is a hotel) or the bar crew will call one for you.

This is all very walkable.

Mr. Congas:

When you exit the pier area, cross the floating bridge to the Punda side.

When you get off the floating bridge, the street right in front of you in Main Street (Breedestraat).

Walk all the way through main street until you hit a HUGE sign on your right saying CURACAO in a park. Walk past that park and you will see (also on your right) a tall yellow church-like building. Go towards that building and you will see Mr. Congas behind it.

It's no more than 15 minutes walking.

Floating market:

When you exit the pier area, cross the floating bridge to the Punda side.

When you get off the floating bridge, turn left immediately and keep walking with the canal at your left hand side. After the road takes a swing, you will find the floating market. About 10 minutes walking.

Have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
Just wondering how the sidewalks are for wheelchair users, I will be there in November along with my daughter who uses a wheelchair, we were hoping to go over the bridge to the market, and just wonder around the town.

thanks

I also need this information. Thank you!

Archived