On the Solstice now....first impressions

gregjm

Thanks for your review. I don't think it matters what orientation you are (or if this is why you received bad service) but it should be brought to the ship's hotel director immediately- I would go to guest services and say that you would like to leave him a note.

Hope the rest of your trip is better!

Cheers,

Question for gregjm:

Did you tender in Juneau today? We will be there in a couple of weeks on the Solstice and are signed up for an independent excursion. The Solstice was originally shown as anchoring in Juneau, but they changed it to tendering. We're concerned about making our excursion on time. If the tendering goes smoothly, we'll make it. If you did tender, how did it go? Thank you in advance for your reply.

Please continue to post updates on your experience with the Solstice in Alaska. We really enjoyed your first post and we've been watching for your subsequent posts. Hope you're enjoying your cruise.

We did tender today, and there were some kinks. First off were Celebrity planned excursions and then it was by numbers, based on tickets handed out this morning starting at 11:30. It took about 2 hours to get all off that wanted to go ashore. We are Elite, so we had priority tendering and were on land in about 40 minutes.

I have heard that the tendering is a one week on, one week off (a bartender told me this) So, supposedly next week it will be docked, the following tendered, etc. I have no confirmation on this, just what one employee told me.

If you are tendering, make sure you get to Cellar Masters way before 11:30 when they start handing out the tickets.

Thanks for the review, is the Solstice still suffering from the norovirus outbreak from last month?

No, they got it under control. The staff has been very diligent (and insistent) with the Purell hand sanitizer.

I have heard that the tendering is a one week on, one week off (a bartender told me this) So, supposedly next week it will be docked, the following tendered, etc. I have no confirmation on this, just what one employee told me.

The docking vs tendering schedule for this season is in post number 13 of this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=35494649&highlight=juneau+tendering#post35494649

or if you don't want to read the thread here is the quote, if your sailing is not on that list then you will probably be tendering. Of course anything could change.

"Currently we are planning on having Solstice at AJ Dock on May 27, June 10, June 24, July 8, July 22, August 5, August 19, Sept 2"

Unfortunately my sailing is a tender.

Nice review. We wouldn't ever eat in Tuscan again if it was free. It remains the worst meal we have ever had on any ship (We accept that whoever is cooking will change, but think the food and ingredients are terrible).

I tried Tuscan once for the elite breakfast, and was totally ignored.

As far as Blu, I didn't think there as any dress code.

Nice review. We wouldn't ever eat in Tuscan again if it was free. It remains the worst meal we have ever had on any ship (We accept that whoever is cooking will change, but think the food and ingredients are terrible).

I tried Tuscan once for the elite breakfast, and was totally ignored.

As far as Blu, I didn't think there as any dress code.

Not completely sure but I believe it's smart casual in the evenings, same as MDR for breakfast.

Formal wear is not required in Blu or any of the specialty restaurants on formal night. That is one of the reasons we like Aqua Class to eat in Blu. We do wear nice clothes and no flip flops, however.

Linda

This was the situation on out Silhouette TA last fall. But on our recent Infinity Panama Canal transit, the following appeared in the Celebrity Today on each of the 3 Formal Nights:

"In order to maintain the elegance of our ship's ambience, Celebrity Cruises requests that all guests adhere to the evening dress code in all Dining Rooms. If you are more comfortable in casual attire, you are welcome to dine in our our Oceanview Cafe on Deck 10. Thank you for your understanding and consideration."

This was the situation on out Silhouette TA last fall. But on our recent Infinity Panama Canal transit, the following appeared in the Celebrity Today on each of the 3 Formal Nights:

"In order to maintain the elegance of our ship's ambience, Celebrity Cruises requests that all guests adhere to the evening dress code in all Dining Rooms. If you are more comfortable in casual attire, you are welcome to dine in our our Oceanview Cafe on Deck 10. Thank you for your understanding and consideration."

Yes, this was enforced on our trip from Hawaii. Not only were shorts and flip flops turned away, but jeans were also turned away as well. I was told that jackets for enforced as well on formal night. We didn't see anyone dressed otherwise.

Burt

Had a good laugh when you mentioned the ice counter at the martini bar being broken. It clearly hasn't been fixed since we were on board last August - and had been broken for some time before that from my understanding.

Archived