Canadian Customs Question

mohret

I am embarking on Coral Princess in Vancouver. My flight originates in Los Angeles but I will be changing planes in Calgary. Question is: Will I go through Canadian customs in Calgary or in Vancouver?

Any clarification that will help me understand what to expect is appreciated. THANK YOU!

I am embarking on Coral Princess in Vancouver. My flight originates in Los Angeles but I will be changing planes in Calgary. Question is: Will I go through Canadian customs in Calgary or in Vancouver?

Any clarification that will help me understand what to expect is appreciated. THANK YOU!

Interesting routing with all the direct flights from LAX to YVR daily but yes you will clear Canadian customs in Calgary.

Interesting routing with all the direct flights from LAX to YVR daily but yes you will clear Canadian customs in Calgary.

I totally agree...these flights were done through Princess ezAir too!

Make sure you have enough time in YYC (Calgary) between your flights to clear Canadian customs and clear security. You will likely need to pickup your luggage at Canadian customs and check it back in again (belt at the end of customs). You will also need to reclear security for the second departure, as you will now be a domestic departure, and had access to your luggage. Minimum 60 minutes, 90 minutes preferred.

There are numerous Air Canada, United, Westjet any other airline flights each day non-stop direct from LAX direct to YVR - routings such as yours is why I never use Princess air. Cost savings is more important than your time or your inconvenience.

Just looking at flight arrivals into Vancouver and Calgary today, you are probably better off landing in Calgary for your customs inspection.

Vancouver has about 14 flights landing there from Pacific rim countries, and about 10 from Europe, along with the usual large number of those originating in Canada and the USA.

I believe that there is one plane landing in Calgary from Tokyo, and 2 from Europe. The rest are from Canada and the USA.

Although Vancouver's airport is bigger than Calgary's, the lineups at Vancouver customs are HUGE.

Going through customs at Calgary will be more beneficial to your relaxation and peace of mind.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Make sure you have enough time in YYC (Calgary) between your flights to clear Canadian customs and clear security. You will likely need to pickup your luggage at Canadian customs and check it back in again (belt at the end of customs). You will also need to reclear security for the second departure, as you will now be a domestic departure, and had access to your luggage. Minimum 60 minutes, 90 minutes preferred.

There are numerous Air Canada, United, Westjet any other airline flights each day non-stop direct from LAX direct to YVR - routings such as yours is why I never use Princess air. Cost savings is more important than your time or your inconvenience.

Luckily (using the word very, very loosely under the circumstances), I have a layover in Calgary of 1 hour, 51 minutes. If everything goes as scheduled, my trip from Los Angeles to Vancouver as arranged by Princess will have a duration of 6 hours and 55 minutes (4 hours and 33 minutes in the air). As I now know, the numerous direct flights from LAX to Vancouver you mention average right at 3 hours. Pretty unhappy now, but will not let this put a downer on my trip to Alaska!

Just looking at flight arrivals into Vancouver and Calgary today, you are probably better off landing in Calgary for your customs inspection.

Vancouver has about 14 flights landing there from Pacific rim countries, and about 10 from Europe, along with the usual large number of those originating in Canada and the USA.

I believe that there is one plane landing in Calgary from Tokyo, and 2 from Europe. The rest are from Canada and the USA.

Although Vancouver's airport is bigger than Calgary's, the lineups at Vancouver customs are HUGE.

Going through customs at Calgary will be more beneficial to your relaxation and peace of mind.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the encouragement Math Guy! My flights are this Wednesday. Maybe the extra hours in the air will be worth it!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Yes, I would agree with MathGuy as well. Lineups at Customs in Vancouver (in both directions - to Canada and to the U.S.) are very long. My experience has been that Calgary customs lines are shorter.

Archived