Roll Call -- What would you do

I recently joined a very active roll call. They clearly know each other from previous cruises. I have tried several times to talk and they all just seem to ignore my comments. I'm not taking it personally but gosh, I don't think I want to go to a M&M Party with people that seem that exclusive. What would you do?

This happens at times when people know each other and treat the board as their personal email system. Just keep posting and you will connect. Make sure to sign up for the Meet & Mingle - you will meet a lot of friendly people there.

I really don't join the roll call to make friends, but to share information and get ideas for excursions, hotels and transportation. We are not partiers so when the posts become full of plans for meeting up at bars and such I just check in from time to time to see what is going on. I have found out about price drops from roll calls, so it is always worth reading even if you don't post.:)

I recently joined a very active roll call. They clearly know each other from previous cruises. I have tried several times to talk and they all just seem to ignore my comments. I'm not taking it personally but gosh, I don't think I want to go to a M&M Party with people that seem that exclusive. What would you do?

I'm in the same situation right now on one of mine. There are a few others outside the original group, but they don't post much. I'm hoping that as the cruise gets closer more people will join in. The group who already know each other seem like a lot of fun, but I still feel like an outsider.

.I didn't read all pages of response, so if someone else said this.........

I had that situation on a Mariner cruise once. There was a group of about 40 people who had met each other on the same cruise the year b4 and all booked again. That was the bulk of our Rollcall.

What I did was start calling them by name when I posted and asked questions since they had been there last year.

Example:

Instead of saying, "Does anyone know if there is XXX on the Mariner?" I would ask, "Hey John; Can you tell me if ......."

I started getting respnoses right away, and ended up making best friends in the group. That was 5 years ago. We had one of our best cruises ever because of the friends we made and still keep in touch with some of them.

Hope This Helps.

Interesting thread.

If I may make a suggestion to all those involved in a M&M, please smile and say Hi when someone walks into the M&M.

Mr Backspace and I walked into Olive or Twist and not one person even smiled. I tried to make eye contact and smile as we walked across the bar to locate a seat, but that didn’t work out very well. Everyone was sitting with their own little group, not mingling in the least bit that we could tell.

After 5 minutes or so, Mr Backspace left…I promised him it would be fun. I almost left with him, as a Margarita was calling my name. :rolleyes:

Instead, I decided to stay and turned around to say hello to the nice couple (who actually smiled) sitting behind us.

Hi Lisa and Wayne from Baltimore! You guys were the only friendly faces in the place. Both Lisa and Wayne commented on the ‘chill’ in the room and how no one smiled or said a word to them when they entered either.

I don’t know what I expected, but it certainly wasn’t what we encountered. Too bad, but I’m glad I met Lisa and Wayne. Very nice people who I wish we could have spent more time with.

So again, please just say Hi and smile.

Maybe they should serve a bit of liquor at these things to loosen everyone up a bit. ;)

Flame suit on…

backspace

I have been in a few RC that were truly horrific. The HOSTs were purging responses as fast as they were being posted when a few members got into their own little tiff battle thing.

I have also been in some truly fun and funny RC.

When you have experienced a truly great RC and M&M, you really miss them when they don't appear.

If you have never had a good one, then it is much easier to shrug aside and move on to some other activity.

I really don't join the roll call to make friends, but to share information and get ideas for excursions, hotels and transportation. We are not partiers so when the posts become full of plans for meeting up at bars and such I just check in from time to time to see what is going on. I have found out about price drops from roll calls, so it is always worth reading even if you don't post.:)

I agree, I have been ignored on many roll calls, I've tried chipping in, the odd helpful hint, a cheery "not long to go" and been ignored every time!! It has happened on a few now (oh, perhaps its me!!:eek:) Anyway, I still follow as i too have heard of price drops and useful advice. Stick with it, but don't worry, you will meet lots of friendly people on board.

Interesting thread.

If I may make a suggestion to all those involved in a M&M, please smile and say Hi when someone walks into the M&M.

Mr Backspace and I walked into Olive or Twist and not one person even smiled. I tried to make eye contact and smile as we walked across the bar to locate a seat, but that didn’t work out very well. Everyone was sitting with their own little group, not mingling in the least bit that we could tell.

After 5 minutes or so, Mr Backspace left…I promised him it would be fun. I almost left with him, as a Margarita was calling my name. :rolleyes:

Instead, I decided to stay and turned around to say hello to the nice couple (who actually smiled) sitting behind us.

Hi Lisa and Wayne from Baltimore! You guys were the only friendly faces in the place. Both Lisa and Wayne commented on the ‘chill’ in the room and how no one smiled or said a word to them when they entered either.

I don’t know what I expected, but it certainly wasn’t what we encountered. Too bad, but I’m glad I met Lisa and Wayne. Very nice people who I wish we could have spent more time with.

Maybe they should serve a bit of liquor at these things to loosen everyone up a bit. ;)

Flame suit on…

backspace

No flame from me because I agree - smile as people come in. I've gotten a number of dirty looks but also met a lot of nice people. As for a drink, yep a martini or two would go a long way. :)

I really wouldn't care. There are so many other ways to make new friends on a cruise. We have made friends at trivia, meals, special events.

I would go the M&M. You might win a prize. You also might strike up a conversation with some interesting people.

I am a bit color blind but I think you may be Diamond. If so, the nightly Diamond Event is a wonderful place to meet folks!

Got one question,I've been cruising on Carnival for the past 8 years,10 cruises,now thinking about trying RCCL.My question is do you talk to the same person(PVP) like carnival or do you talk to different people each time you call.I've talked to people about this and they say you usually talk to different people.

Got one question,I've been cruising on Carnival for the past 8 years,10 cruises,now thinking about trying RCCL.My question is do you talk to the same person(PVP) like carnival or do you talk to different people each time you call.I've talked to people about this and they say you usually talk to different people.

Your choice. You can contact the same PVP, or choose to go into the queue.

Interesting thread.

Flame suit on…

backspace

I'm so not surprised. We Marylanders are super-friendly people:D

wow ... what a bunch of different answers. Again, I've met lifelong friends through the Roll Calls and the M&M so it's a little strange. Anyway, we'll probably go to the party to see if others that are there. I don't think I'd want to be in a group that is so exclusive either way.

Guest maddycat
No flame from me because I agree - smile as people come in. I've gotten a number of dirty looks but also met a lot of nice people. As for a drink, yep a martini or two would go a long way. :)

I'd agree if RCI didn't schedule the MM for so early in the morning. It's usually 9:30 or 10am.

I wouldn't take it personally ! We were active with our roll call, then had to cancel our cruise but did book another that leaves this weekend.it seems we just haven't connected with our new group yet, but we never have problems making friends once we meet people face to face.

I agree, I have been ignored on many roll calls, I've tried chipping in, the odd helpful hint, a cheery "not long to go" and been ignored every time!! It has happened on a few now (oh, perhaps its me!!:eek:) Anyway, I still follow as i too have heard of price drops and useful advice. Stick with it, but don't worry, you will meet lots of friendly people on board.

Mike -- I'm truly hoping we didn't do that to you on the "Millie Wine-Hound Cruise" roll-call, last September! :eek: :o I seem to remember you from the roll-call thread, and I think that DH and I met you at the unofficial sail-away party (Sunset Bar). It was sad that lots of folks didn't make it to the "official" M&M, since it was held in the afternoon on a port day. What a great cruise -- I still have my "Wine-Hound shirt that Ken (Rockfish) designed! :cool:

Patty,

I looked through some of the pages from the March Explorer cruise and am not really sure what you are referring to. Sorry if anyone has offended you.

We're looking forward to meeting up with everyone less then a year away. We'll get all the partying details down as we get closer.

We have been on MANY cruises on all the cruiselines & have attended many M&Gs.

There are always 1 or 2 people that take on the challenge of organizing them. Collecting the data , constantly updating the blog, etc.

I just got off a Celebrity cruise where a very insecure(???) person took on those duties.

He refused to share an info about times & places unless you emailed him direct with your name & cabin number.

I saw he had not done a lot of prior postings so I nicely tried to say that the info is shared with all. He did not care. He said he wanted to know for sure (control) how many would show up, etc. He said he was already contacting all the officers & arranging everything.

On cruiselines like Celebrity, that is what you have to do, they do not have a link like Royal. People on the blog were praising him for all the work he was doing.

A few days before sailing, after I too thanked him for all his work, I asked him if he would not mind sharing the info for those of us who chose not to contact him direct.

HE REFUSED !

No big losS for us as we have been to many of these Meet & Greets but people need to understand.........THIS IS BASICALLY A CRUISE CRITIC EVENT AND NOT A PRIVATE PARTY BECAUSE YOU WANT TOTAL CONTROL !

He said he was already contacting all the officers & arranging everything.

On cruiselines like Celebrity, that is what you have to do, they do not have a link like Royal.

Shippy -- I'm sorry, but you lost me on that one. :confused: Did he (Mister Bossy-pants) tell you that he had to set up the Connections Party? If so, that's a new one to me! We've always just clicked on the "register for Connections party" link at the top of the Celebrity roll-call page, to sign up --- just like on RC. I would imagine that a roll-caller who personally knew someone on the ship's staff might be able to facilitate some aspects of setting up the party. But, to the best of my knowledge, the Connections Party is usually set up by the ship's "event coordinator", or someone on the CD's staff -- no participation by anyone on the roll-call is required.

Sounds like this guy was a big proponent of his own self importance. When he demanded an e-mail with my personal information, I would have told him to take a hike! :rolleyes:

Shippy -- I'm sorry, but you lost me on that one. :confused: Did he (Mister Bossy-pants) tell you that he had to set up the Connections Party? If so, that's a new one to me! We've always just clicked on the "register for Connections party" link at the top of the Celebrity roll-call page, to sign up --- just like on RC. I would imagine that a roll-caller who personally knew someone on the ship's staff might be able to facilitate some aspects of setting up the party. But, to the best of my knowledge, the Connections Party is usually set up by the ship's "event coordinator", or someone on the CD's staff -- no participation by anyone on the roll-call is required.

Sounds like this guy was a big proponent of his own self importance. When he demanded an e-mail with my personal information, I would have told him to take a hike! :rolleyes:

It was really quite unbelievable to me. Princess does not have the link. I tried nicely to explain about how it should be open. They I actually praised him for his efforts & tried again.

Enough people...the must be new to cruise critic... went along with him. I did not want to get nasty about it. I am sure he would have been admonished by the officers if they knew how he set it up.He obviously needed his 'private CC party' more than I needed to go.

It was really quite unbelievable to me. Princess does not have the link. I tried nicely to explain about how it should be open. They I actually praised him for his efforts & tried again.

Enough people...the must be new to cruise critic... went along with him. I did not want to get nasty about it. I am sure he would have been admonished by the officers if they knew how he set it up.He obviously needed his 'private CC party' more than I needed to go.

Shippy -- I knew that your screen name sounded familiar. You were on our March 15 Equinox cruise, weren't you? Sadly, I didn't get to meet many of our roll-callers on board, as we were traveling with some dear old friends. We didn't get our Connections Party invitation until very late -- and we had already made plans for that morning. :(

As to roll-call organizers, I think that Lotus-Girl did a great job of maintaining our roll-call on Equinox. :cool: Too bad that guy on Princess couldn't ever get the big picture. It's interesting to know that there's no sign-up for the Princess M&M's -- wonder why? :confused:

We were just on the Ruby Princess and a Meet & Mingle is way different than were are used to on RCCL & Celebrity. Princess alots a room and that is it! It was over 30 minutes before a bar tender showed up and a couple of staff members. We did our own name tags, had no PA system use, very lame.

There were a couple of other RCCL people on the cruise and we were all shocked. RCCL & Celebrity go out of their way to put the M&M's together for us on Cruise Critic, and do an outstanding job compaired to other lines.

Thanks Patty for bringing this up. I have felt this before as well. I do note that after some people discover someone from another shared cruise, no one else appears to matter. However, each cruise is different. We just wait until the cruise itself and then decide on the M&M. However, I do register and read all roll call entries for the cruise, jumping in when I can.

Shippy -- I knew that your screen name sounded familiar. You were on our March 15 Equinox cruise, weren't you? Sadly, I didn't get to meet many of our roll-callers on board, as we were traveling with some dear old friends. We didn't get our Connections Party invitation until very late -- and we had already made plans for that morning. :(

As to roll-call organizers, I think that Lotus-Girl did a great job of maintaining our roll-call on Equinox. :cool: Too bad that guy on Princess couldn't ever get the big picture. It's interesting to know that there's no sign-up for the Princess M&M's -- wonder why? :confused:

LOVED THE EQUINOX !

i DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN CERTAIN CRUISELINES & CRUISECRITIC EITHER. THERE WOULD NOT BE THAT SORT OF PROBLEM IF THEY ALL HAD DIRECT LINKS WITH CRUISE CRITIC.

Archived