Live from the Sinfonia........

AmoMondo

I started my career as an overseas holidaymaker in Mallorca, aged 5, and have been to Alcudia and that beautiful North-East coast a few times. I can't remember any Roman ruins. Are they new?

I have mint sauce on my list of things to take on the next cruise.

I hope it warms up for you.

Enjoy!

They're close to Alcudia. Pole Tia is the name ofmt.hem old Roman town but mostly rubble now.

Our warmest day so far was in Palma yesterday when we got up to 22C. Bliss! I believe the UK had snow, well according to the Daily Ecpress today there was.

The ship docks about 15 minute drive from the centre of Palma. You could walk on the port to the bus stop or get a taxi into town. I went for the convenience of the MSC Shuttle service at €12 per person. Few steps from the cruise terminal and it drops you in town, just across the road from the Cathedral. The historic old town is behind there, up the hill veering to the right. Loads of narrow pedestrian only narrow streets, although watch out for those pesky mopeds - they come at you unawares! There are also horse drawn carriage rides around the old town. Loads of nice little shops selling leTher goods and of course pearls. There are a lot of ones with cheap low quality ones but if you want the good ones, look for the shops with the name Majorica. I splurged on a pair of stud earrings and a lovely bendy bangle.

After that I headed to the Placa Mayor where I had lunch in the Cafe de Paris. This is a lovely enclosed square where I was kept entertained whilst I munched. First we had a group of young men surprisingly performing capoeira (Brazilian form of fighting dance); next itnwas a small jazz group with a cello and a clarinet, next up to guitarist playing what sounded like Spanish folk music, then the capoeira guys again..... Lunch was very good. Bit of a cliche but still enjoyed it. Had Gazpacho followed by Tortiilla Espagnola and washed down with a chilled glass of Rose wine and finished off with one of those fantastic cafe cortados.

Day in Palma finished up with a slow sander back to the shuttl bus. Hadn't a clue where I was going but had then theory that as long as I was heading downhill, I couldn't go wrong. Eventually I caught a glimpse of water through and archway and sure enough I was back down atnthe waterfront. Not atnthe Cathdral where I needed to be, but further around the bay. Only rook around 10 minutes to stroll around back to the meeting point for the bus back to the ship.

At dinner, the Welsh couple had gone, to be replaced by a Glaswegian couple who had boarded that day in Palma. It was Italian night, so table and waiters were all decked out in red, green and White. We had a sing song ro go are at dessert with the obligatory napkin waving. All good fun! Lobed the porcini risotto and the tiramisu. Unfortunatelythe Amarone was finished, so tonight I'll have to choose between shelling out another €44 for another or reverting to the included weak red stuff by the glass.

This morning we docked at around 7 in Mahon Menorca. Bow thrusters were my early morning wake up call! It was a darkly chilly start, so insteadnof having my morning cuppa and panini on the balcony, had it sitting on my sofa with the balcony door firmly closed. (for those of tou who have not cruised with MDC before, I recommend using the free breakfast in your cabin service - it's just a continental but have this first and then head later to the MDR for a nice omelette or whatever else you fancy. It's definitely more civilised on the MDR and the food is cooked to order, ratherbthan lying around going rubbery)

In Mahon, the ship's docks slap bang in the town centre. That's the good news. The bad news is that the historic old town is not directly in front of you but above tou. Lost count after the steps up well after 100. Probably in the region of 150-200 but hey, it helps burn off the tiramisu from the previous night!

As you leave the ship there is a little tourist info hut dispensing free town and island maps. There also appeared to be a little tourist (road) train doing the rounds of the upper old town and along the lower bay area. I didn't go on it so don't know how much it costs or where it started. The hike up the hill to the old town is worth it. It is really nice up there and you get great views across the bay.

After wandering around for a few hours, I headed back down the steps and instead of going back onboard, turned right and went for a walk along the waterfront. Noticed a yellow submarine trip operating and a glass bottomed boat. About 10 minutes walk around the bay, I found a gem of a restaurant called Pierro. At first I thought it was just a pizzeria but it had so much more to offer. Loads of Dpanush offerings, tapas, international dishes and pizza. I started with the croquetas de jamon (ham croquettes and there were loads of them). Nextni had Tira Argentina, whichnwas basically beef strips served with a baked potato and grilled vegetables and a pot of chimichurra sauce. Another even nicer glass of vino rosado and my cafe cortados finished a lovely lunch. Thought it was reasonable at €28.75. Food and service both good and a lovely view of some stunning real estate across the harbour.

All aboard time was at 2.30, so headed back to the ship. Collected my daily newspaper (which was all about the senseless murder of a British soldier hacked down in Woolwich by 2 Islamtic fanatists yesterday - what an atrocity. His poor wife and child to lose that young man in such horrendous circumstances). After a short time back in my cabin, it was off to the spa for my stone massage. It was amazing. I totedmup the 4 treatments andnthermal area pass individually and I've saved around €300 by pre booking the package in advance.

Bingo and flamenco dance lessons have just moved indoors to the manhattan lounge where I'm ensconced with a Mojito. Evidently it's too windy and chilly up on deck. It is certainly getting a bit bumpy.

More tomorrow from the lovely (and hopefully warm) island of Sardinia!

Second last day and we are in Olbia - this week has flown by. Weather is a let down today. Only just in to double figures and overcast when I set out.there is a free port shuttle that drops you opposite the tourist office in the town centre about 2pm away from where the ship docks. There were also a number of Olbia Day Tour open top buses lined up near the ship when I got off.

I'd only been wandering around for about half an hour when there was the odd spit and spot of rain. I'd forgotten my umbrella but got one off a street vendor for €5 and was glad I did because around 40 minutes later it started to rain in earnest. Olbia looks a nice enough town but no fun to explore in the cold and rain, so I went back to the ship. Don't make the mistake I did, the shuttle bus stops at the Marktime Station first and everyone got off, so I did too. I think it's for boarding the ferries because my ship was quite. Walk away. I'm sure if I'd sat tight the bus would have contained on to stop near the gangwY to the ship and I'd have saved myself a trudge in the by then torrential rain.

It appears to be brightening jp now, but I'm too chilled out after a very pleasant long lunch in the MDR with 2 delightful ladies from NZ. So think I'll have a coffee and another glass of wine and chill with my book (indoors). MY head back to the really nice thermL area later before getting glammed up for the last Gala night.

Well it's the last day :(

We just sailed from Salerno half an hour ago. It's really too short a stop at 08.00-13.00. There is a free shuttle to the port gates but just to an industrial area, not in town itself. There was a little tourist train at the port gates but I don't know how much it is or where it takes you. I used the MSC shuttle service at €6 pp. First bus into the centre of Salerno is at 08.00 and the last bus back to the ship at 12.00.

Mixed weather today, with the odd spot of rain in between sunshine. When you get off the shuttle bus there is a lady from the tourist office waiting there armed with maps in most languages and she'll Mark up a route for you to see the Duomo (Cathedral) gardens, another church and the shopsmthat are open on a Sunday. The old town is a maze of tiny twisting alleyways, with stairs up and down all over the place. Not many have street names on them and even those that do are not that prominent. The main attractions are sign posted though. I gave up following the official route marked on my map and just strolled around for a few hours. I eventually decided to head down the way and to my left thinking that would bring me near the shuttle bus stop and lo and behold it did, right at the end of the street. As I had just over an hour before the last bus, decided to take a stroll along the waterfront which is quite pleasant. Loads of walkers, jobbers and cyclists. Also a few fishermen dotted around. There is a park area all the way along with plenty of benches, if you just want to sit and contemplate the view for a bit. Eventually grabbed a coffe on a waterfront cafe before heading back to the bus stop at around 11.30. There was a bit of a queue but as one bus filled up another would pull up right behind it. Was back onboard in my cabin 20 minutes later.

Last night was the farewell gala dinner Nd rather good it was too. I love the smoked marlin appetiser. I then had beef consommé, followed by Spumante and smoked chees risotto, then beef in green peppercorn sauce. Then it was the customary flaming baked Alaska parade followed by a tour by the chefs and senior restaurant staff. The baked Alaska this time was made with chocolate ice cream. There were no petit fours or a glass of bubbly, guess they're cutting back!

Shall shortly head to the thermal area for my last chill out session and spa treatment before tackling the packing. Have managed to pick up the sniffles, so a session on the steam room will be most welcome.

I am on the sinfonia on the same cruise a week today 3rd june and i have thoroughly enjoyed reading your reports as overall it seems a very enjoyable ship and itinerary although i do think that you were very unlucky with the weather and the welsh people!(only joking)

When we booked this cruise 6 months ago i thought that like the costa cruise i went on 18 months ago not many british people would be on it but it seems as if there is a fair sprinkling now!i found that the italian cruise lines are every bit as good as royal carribean except not so good entertainment but overall an excellent price and on the sinfonia we have the alligrissimo drinks package which looks to be very good value.

Thanks royboy. Yes it was a great itinerary.

Majority onboard were probably Italian followed closely by German. There were 3 big groups from Germany but that didn't cause me any issues, although I could have done without the singsong in the Sinfonia lounge this morning whilst we were waiting for our colours to be called.

Fair number of Spaniards and French with not many English speakers but a few.

Hope it warms up for your trip, it was unusually cool for that time of year in the Med, but still better than being at home and at work.

Are you embarking in genoa?as i think that quite a few passengers on this cruise also board in palma!we are doing the genoa start.

I must admit that i was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews about msc but after reading mairi,s i am now looking forward but i remember feeling the same with costa and they were fine!it is my 4th cruise having been on 2 royal carribean prior-is there any other line you recommend?

Archived