Live from the Sinfonia........

AmoMondo

Well not quite onboard yet - thought I'd take advantage of the Hotel Bristol Palace's free and fairly fast wifi service!

So in a few hours I'll be boarding the Sinfonia in Genoa for a 7 night cruise taking in St Tropez, Mahon, Palma de Mallorca, Olbia and Salerno. I'm a huge fan of the Med and was attracted to this one because of the less popular ports.

Trip started yesterday at the ungodly hour of 3.30am when I had to drag myself up for the very early AF flight to CDG. I only had 50 minute connection time to transfer from terminal 2E to 2G and was fully expecting either me or my case or both to miss the connecting flight to Genoa. However no problems, first flight arrived early and second flight was running late, so made the flight with 10 minutes to spare. Biggest downside to the carrier was the size ( or lack thereof) of the overhead lockers on both flights. Standard cabin bags will not fit in them, nor will even smaller ones. Heck my handbag was too fat at around 6-7 inches deep to make it in. Raincoat fitted no problems though! I would have ordered the BA route via Gatwick ( no weight restriction on hand luggage and lockers allowed baggage can actually fit in) but wasn't prepared to pay almost £300 more for flying back on a UK Bank Holiday.

I'm back for my third stay in the lovely Bristol Palace in the grand arcaded Via XX Settembre. It's not the closest to the port and certainly not the most modern but for me that is it's charm. Rather quirky old world Italian. If you like Renaissance style with antique dark wood furniture, aged brass chandeliers and grand sweeping staircases, you'll love here. If you want ultra modern, minimalist (and you could be anywhere in the World) then Best Western would no doubt be better value and have bigger lifts!

Dinner in the Bar Bistrot last night was rather a novel experience. The chef was the waiter who was also the barman! Poor guy probably had to stack the dishwasher too! Anyway, service was a bit leisurely but worth it. Food choice was limited but really good. Just had a few Ligurian choices for each course but tasted great. Didn't fair so well at lunch when I wandered around for hours trying to find somewhere open serving more than coffee and ice cream. Eventually gave in and made do with McDonalds 100 yards from the hotel. (still in shock at eating in the Golden Arches in Italy!). I did make up for my transgression by having a fab gelato and espresso at a lovely caffe later!

So that's all for now, I'll add to this thread in the coming days depending on onboard wifi speed and availability.

Ciao!

So that's all for now, I'll add to this thread in the coming days depending on onboard wifi speed and availability.

Ciao!

I am very much looking forward to it Mairi.

Your hotel reminds me of one I stayed in Istanbul once.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g293974-d306207-r60715598-Grand_Hotel_de_Londres-Istanbul.html

Bon voyage!

So in a few hours I'll be boarding the Sinfonia in Genoa for a 7 night cruise taking in St Tropez, Mahon, Palma de Mallorca, Olbia and Salerno. I'm a huge fan of the Med and was attracted to this one because of the less popular ports.

Ciao!

Ciao Ciao - you're boldly going where I will be in 3 weeks! Looking forward to this with relish!

Bon Voyage x :)

Ok, it's after dinner and I've finally got time to get online and tell you about my first day onboard.

This has to be my record fastest embarkation ever. My taxi arrived at my hotel at 12.45 and by 1.10 I was in my cabin! Ten minutes from the time the taxi dropped me off and didn't even have to fall back on the Black Card to beat the hordes! Really slick and professional.

So next stop was to head to reception and sort out a wifi account, get my newspapers ordered and sort out my Allegrissimo. I'd pre booked online but it wasn't showing on my cruise card. The lady at reception got it all sorted out with a smile. Next stop was the spa to sort out my appointments (I'd pre booked a package that had 4 treatments and unlimited use of the spa). If you're interested it's the Platinum Rose package at €390.... huge saving on buying them individually.

Just missed lunch in the MDR so headed to the buffet for lunch. Not as big as the Musica or Fanrasia class ships but similar fayre. Sat for a while on the back pool bar which is a lovely little sun trap out of the coolish wind today.

Next stop, back to the spa for my 1 hour Balinese massage which was bliss. Sorted out all those crunchy bits in my shoulders from lugging cases! Muster drill was scheduled for 6pm, so I had 75 minutes to spare, so went to the thermal area. It is one of the best in the fleet. Tropical shower, cold fog shower, Turkish bath, calomine liconium (sp?), sauna, tepidarium. Really lovely area. I was about half way through my circuit and just about to plonk myself on those lovely heated tepidarium recliner chairs when the announcements started telling me muster drill was going to be earlier than the programme had published. Mad dash to dry off and change. I dare say there have been passengers attend muster drill in their swimming cossies before, however I was determined not to be one of them. Made it in the nick of time, albeit with dripping wet hair - c'est la vie or perhaps I should say che a vita?

Musterbdrill was a fairly serious affair ( as it should be) and took almost half an hour. They used to line you up by size, with the shortest in the front row and the tallest in the back row, but not so today. You could just stand in the order you arrived.

After that I headed back to my cabin to unpack. I'm in 1019, a balcony suite to the front on port side. Masses of storage space. Even more than I with my tendency to overpack could use. Walk in wardrobe (20 hangers) with 8 drawer unit. Then 2 full diced shelved cupboards. 2 bedside cabinets and another 2 cupboards in the sitting area beside the minibar and TV.

I'd only just started unpacking when the procession of crew started. First up was room service with a bottle of Moet and platter of chocolate dipped strawberries (black card freebie which usually doesn't turn up until day 3). Next up Mother room service nod, this time with my fruit bowl. 10 minutes after that it was 2 cabin stewards to introduce themselves. I was in the shower by he time he 4th person I arrived, so no idea what he/she wanted, unless they were there to deliver ,y slippers as that is he only thing I appear to be missing.

Managed to squeeze in a galass of bubbles before heading to dinner on Il Covo (smaller of the 2 MDRs on deck 6). I'm at a table for 6. A welsh couple who've been onboard for 4 days, an Irish couple and a solo Englishman. Got on well with the Englishman and the irish couple. The welsh couple were fairly disparaging and judgemental about the Italians onboard. Think they should have stuck with a British or American line.

So first day coming to an end. Sitting in the martini bar with an espresso and a couple of Baileys listening to quite a good duo (pianist and a female vocalist).

Tomorrow well be in St Tropez which will be a first for me. Think it will be a tender job but at least I won't have to get up sharp to queue for a tender ticket as I get a priority ticket ( another Back Card perk),

So from somewhere near the Cite D'Azure, Ciao Amici. A domani!

You know how to live Mairi!

The only muster drill experiences ihave had on MSC involved sitting down in an armchair in a lounge. The first time I fell asleep with my head resting on my lifejacket. The second time I had company so we chatted all the way through. I have never been 'lined up' on MSC.

Wish I were there!

A domain....

great reports. I am investigating doing this itinery in October, also from Edin so very helpful to read your experiences. Have not cruised with MSC so any tips welcome :-) Thank you

Today we are in lovely St Tropez. It's warmed up to 19c, even managed to take my fleece off for a bit! I'm not quite as braze as some of the Germans who are sporting swimwear despite that fairly cool breeze - guess they are made of hardier stuff than me!

This port is a tender port and you need to go and get a ticket in the Manhattan lounge early in the morning (7.30) if you want to get off on one of the earlier boats. Fortunately I didn't have to bother queueing up for one, as I got mine delivered to my cabin last night - yet another Black Card perk. I went off around 10, which was boats 11 and 12. I could have been off on the first boat but i had no wish to be up and in town at just after 7.30.

St Tropez is really easy to explore on foot. It's not that big and has a lot of narrow quaint streets and a few really old towers along the Port Ancien Bassin. The tender drops you off in the Port Nouveau Bassin. Go right for the beaches, straight ahead into town and to the left to get to the Old Port. You pass through a car parking area where there is a Market. Don't know if it is just on on Tuesdays or every day. Seemed a fair bit of tat (lost count of the number of stalls selling either tshirts or sunglasses). At the end of the car park, you'll find yourself at the start of the old port area and there are decent WCs here for 50c. Sure Ll cafes have them but some are shall we say, an experience!

Along the other end of the old port there are 2 towers -Tour du Portalet and Tour Vielle (they both looked equally old to my untrained eye, so no idea why only one is called the old tower). There are loads of restaurants around here not to mention a long pier you can walk out along. Turn right from the towers and tou are heading in to the lovely town centre. No tat here. All the big designer names are present - the Chanel building was very impressive. Almost forgot to mention there is a tourist info office beside where the tender boat let's you off. I didn't look as I was already armed with a map and port info I'd cheekily obtained form Silversea's website and another great site called WhatsInPort.com.

After around 3 hours strolling around, I came back to the ship for lunch. I had the Allegrissimo (all inclusive drinks package for €23 per day) on the Musica last September and they just served wine by the glass. On this ship every time I ask for a glass, they just give me a bottle. I'm going to end up permanently sloshed! Last night I had the Merlot which was ok but not great, and at lunch had a Trebbiano which was a bit foo sweet for my tastes. It's our first Gala tonight, so I think I'll splash out a buy a bottle of Barolo or their wonderful Amarone de Valpocello. I drink enough water, coffee and other stuff to still get my money's worth out the package......and talking of which, I'm off to aft pool deck for some caffeine and a read of the newspaper they printed for me this morning.

More tomorrow after Mahon

Last night I had the Merlot which was ok but not great

If it is still the same two reds, then yes, the Merlot was a waste of time. The Montepulciano had more to it, especially when poured from a bottle opened in front of us.

Is there a 'wine bar' type venue in the Sinfonia anything like the one on the Musica?

Enjoy Gala night. Hope you speak some Italiano and do some Italiano gestures at the table tonight (nothing rude though) to make your favourite couple feel at home.

T.

Sounds fabulous Mairi, am reading avidly, also going to look up a the port link you gave. The spa sounds great, I am not sure what I have got booked spa wise for November as it was booked for me, but I am so longing for it already after reading yours.

Ciao - (that would be the full extent of my Italian!)

Mary

After around 3 hours strolling around, I came back to the ship for lunch. I had the Allegrissimo (all inclusive drinks package for €23 per day) on the Musica last September and they just served wine by the glass. On this ship every time I ask for a glass, they just give me a bottle. I'm going to end up permanently sloshed!

They may have been warned you were coming and wanted to save shoe leather:D

If it is still the same two reds, then yes, the Merlot was a waste of time. The Montepulciano had more to it, especially when poured from a bottle opened in front of us.

Is there a 'wine bar' type venue in the Sinfonia anything like the one on the Musica?

Enjoy Gala night. Hope you speak some Italiano and do some Italiano gestures at the table tonight (nothing rude though) to make your favourite couple feel at home.

T.

I splurged on the Amarone last night and it was divine...still have half a bottle left for tonight.

As for my favourite couple, the Germans are now also outa of favour along with the Italians! They think the ship is lovely and the staff are great but they don't like the passengers. He didn't get mint sauce last night with his lamb, so will stick to P&O in future - probably best so he won't have to deal with any annoying foreigners!

Sorry Tim, no wine bar onboard.

Well must go, have a Mojito to down before dinner in around 5 minutes time! Will check in later.

So today was mostly a sea day. We arrived at Palma de Mallorca at 19.00 and will be here until the same time tomorrow.

Quite a few folk must have gone ashore as the restaurant was fairly quiet and our table was down to me and the lovely Irish Couple. It really is a lovely harbour. All those millions of pounds of yachts in the Marina, the vastly up on the hill and the iconic cathedral. Haven't bothered to go ashore tonight as I've been to Palma several times before and we have a full day tomorrow to explore. I shall stick yo the city itself but if you haven't visited the Island before, there are plenty of things further afield. There are Roman ruins at Alcudia, then there is the rugged West Cove, interesting CVes, Pearl factories, beaches a plenty...but old town Palma itself is fascinating too.

This morning it looked bright and sunny so I slathered myself in sunscreen, donned my cossie and sun dress and headed up on deck to sunbathe. It was freezing! Unless you managed to nab a bed at the front where there was a bit of a wind break, it certainly wasn't sunbathing weather. Most folk where hundred in their orange pool towels rather tha lying on them!

In the afternoon, I went to the thermal area after lunch for around90 minutes (lovely to be too warm again) before having another of the treatments on my spa package. This one was called sea and volcanoes and lasted 80 minutes. Got rubbed down in a salt scrub then plastered in some sort of sewers or algae type mud. Was then stuck in a machine that was a bit like a cross between a White coffin and the Tardis! shoaled and vibrated for about 15 minutes and blasted me with steam and the odd flashing light, before then pummelling me with alternating water jets.not sure what it was all meant to do but it ended with a 45 minute Balinese massage.

After that I headed back to my balcony for a couple of glasses of the free bubbly (alas the chocolate dipped strawberries were no more) and enjoyed the scenery of sailing by another Balearkc Island (not sure if it was Menorca or Ibiza) before the sail in to Palma.

Other lun h on my first day which was in the buffet, I've been eTing Ll my meals in the MDR. Il Galeone on deck 5 for breakfast and lunch and dinner in Il Ckvo on 6. Food and service have all been fine. No complaints whatsoever. The Reception staff who are usually a bit staid of serious (if I were being unkind - downright grumpy) are unusually helpful, friendly and smiley. Have been down every morning to get my newspaper "hot off the press" and they've been a little ray of sunshine.

Talking to some of the senior crew once on the little old Melody, I commented how good the service had been on her and they told me it was because it was a smaller ship and the crew all knew each other and felt part of the same team, whereas on the behemoths, they didn't and felt isolated. Wonder if this also applies to the Sinfonia. They certainly seem to be a reasonably happy band of campers. My. 2 cabin stewards are lovely and always stop for a chat when you pass them. My room is kept spotless and despite being older, is well maintained. They have also installed new safes since I was last onboard. Before it was a struggle to get an IPad into it, you had to stick it in on an angle. This one is a good bit bigger and fits in no problem. May even take a laptop if it's not one of the larger ones.

So the night draws to a close. Am sitting in the coffee bar with an espresso and Amaretto listening to a talented pianist. The lights of Palma harbour and city ventre are twinkling through the windows. Looking forward to tomorrow and a lovely day in the old town.

Arriverderci, Buenos Noche e Aufwiedersehn!

There are Roman ruins at Alcudia

I started my career as an overseas holidaymaker in Mallorca, aged 5, and have been to Alcudia and that beautiful North-East coast a few times. I can't remember any Roman ruins. Are they new?

I have mint sauce on my list of things to take on the next cruise.

I hope it warms up for you.

Enjoy!

I am on the same cruise as you in 10 days so am enjoying your excellent reporting!i had begun to think that no other british people were doing this cruise as haven,t seen any other threads or reports in the last 6 months since booking!how many british people are onboard?

Enjoy your cruise and keep up the good work as it couldn,t have been timed better to hear your comments.:)

What a nice surprise to read about your adventures. We'll see you in October on the Musica. Hoping the weather gets warmer or else come here to San Diego. It's sunny and warm, guaranteed.

What a nice surprise to read about your adventures. We'll see you in October on the Musica. Hoping the weather gets warmer or else come here to San Diego. It's sunny and warm, guaranteed.

I love Coronado......and yes see you in October

Archived