Island Escape - purchases on board

popeyejohn

From what I can gather when you first board the ship you are asked to either leave a credit/debit card or leave a certain amount of cash for any purchases you may make aboard.

I would like to know that if I pay by debit card are my purchases charged in Sterling or Euro's and is there any charge for using a debit card?

Be aware though that some cruiselines make a daily charge against debit cards (as some hotels do) so if there is not much balance you may go overdrawn......it is standard practice apparently so nothing to worry about, its just that I remember someone not being able to access their current account after their cruise because the cruise line (think it was Royal Caribbean ) had not taken the charge off !:eek:

For this reason we always use the credit card and pay the charges !!:)

Sailed on the Island Escape twice and both times have settled our account with a debit card. We have never had any extra charges or problems. Would recommend this method of payment. Have a fantastic time and enjoy every minute because it will go so fast.:)

In the literature we were given on embarkation on 23rd April credit cards would carry a 2.5% surcharge no surcharge for a debit card.

ClaireAnna81 .....did you do any excusions on you trip and any positive/negative thoughts on the all inclusive drinks pakage on the Island Escape?

This is our first cruise and not sure if we should book the ship's excusions or make our own way.

ClaireAnna81 .....did you do any excusions on you trip and any positive/negative thoughts on the all inclusive drinks pakage on the Island Escape?

This is our first cruise and not sure if we should book the ship's excusions or make our own way.

The only ship excursion we did was the Easy Rome, my father is blind so making our own way into Rome on the train would've been difficult. Our tour guide was a lovely lady and very well informed, we had free time to explore at Vatican city at the end. Other than the one excursion we explored the other ports on our itinerary ourselves. We were tempted by the Florence and Pisa excursions also but the weather forecast was not favorable and dad was suffering as his new shoes had caused him blisters so he stayed onboard and myself and mum explored and did some shopping in Livorno instead.

Have no negative comments about the AI, but were not big drinkers, me and mum enjoyed trying the cocktails, also few glasses of wine (the house white and rose) of an evening and dad enjoyed the lager on the AI and found the whiskey although not top shelf quite palatable with coke.

My full review is here if interested http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=219878

I really want to in October but we also want to move before Christmas so it's a little up in the air as to whether I'll be able to :( here's hoping I can but deffo going on her again :cool: pity she doesn't do a Christmas itinerary around the Canaries as dad wants to take the family on a cruise for Christmas.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Hi, ClaireAnna ( and Mr. R R who will know, I´m sure !)

We had a great time last week on her, really pleasantly surprised in all aspects.:)

Like your Dad we were hoping to go on her again around Christmas but she seems to disappear of the surface of the seas.:eek:

We did Colourful Coasts on the good ship Destiny, Dec.2011 and thoroughly enjoyed that itinerary (even though it was local to us and we had visited all islands before) Think its the Celebration this year and the AI isn´t bad at 138 gbp, per cabin. Might join you !!:rolleyes:

mari

Expat, we were on the Destiny that xmas after Thomsons cancelled the Escape for the winter season (2 years on the trot) I think it must be that the good ship doesnt get full over the winter period.

Sure there would be plenty of us Escape fans who would love to spend Christmas on her, just do a one off winter sailing (hint hint Thomson reps) ;);););)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

Archived