Anyone else booked on Voyage of the Midnight Sun out of London in July?

Stillwater Dave

We are booked on this cruise leaving London on July 4th. Have any of you booked private excursions or considered so? The ports of call are so off the beaten track we have had trouble finding alternatives to the Nautica excursions. We would be interested in sharing at any or all of the ports.

It's three years since Lyn and I did this cruise and it looks like the itinerary is the same as the one we had. We only did one ship's tour which was in Murmansk and that's because we really could not find professional guides there. Plus, of course, the expense of getting a visa for only one port.

Elsewhere we had excellent guides (not found by me) in Harstad, Hammerfest, North Cape. In North Cape we didn't have an official guide so much as a driver who took us the first evening to North Cape and the next day to the Bird Island tour. In Spitzbergen Stavanger, Geiranger (nice little boat tour there up the fjord and back that you can book in town when you arrive), Bergen and Kristiansand it was very pleasant walking around on our own.

I highly recommend the musesum in Spitzbergen. We had booked a tour with a cab driver who was a no show so we just took O's bus up to town and found the museum on our own.

But as Lyn said, your best bet is going to your Roll Call.

Mura

Archived