Steak house. Is it worth it?

fsugurl

How does the $35 price compare to a nice restaurant for you? There's a really nice Steak place downtown where I live with aged beef and the prices are almost identical...so I can't see spending that much extra for a meal when I've already paid for dinner.

On the Glory last summer we were in Halifax and stopped and had lobsters the size of your forearm - so good. Almost worth cruising there again just for lobster. I think he charged like $2-5 a lb.

Here in the Tampa area, if we go to Bern's, Ruth's Criss, Capital Grille, Fleming's or Charley's steakhouse....you would pay somewhere around 40-50 for a steak. At Bern's, it will come with soup and salad, with the others, by itself and everything else is a la carte. The $35, includes, salad, appetizer, entree, dessert and tip.

We were in Steakhouse on Magic this past March. DW's filet mignon was perfect and my NY Strip was just OK. In fairness, they offered to prepare another steak for me - but - because of the wait, I decided to help DW eat her filet. Yes, I asked for a take-out bag for half of the cheesecake and it was great at 2am that night!!

Liberty but it was back in 2011 when the Steakhouse was called Harrys. They also refused to cook my Ribeye Medium Rare.

I have heard of other having their steaks cooked MR though so maybe it was th chef that cruise?

OP I say try it, you might like it. Seems most have good experienced.

That is odd. I thought that Medium rare and medium were the recommended ways of cooking steak.

I know DH always orders his steaks MR or Med. so I am sure he ordered one or the other when we ate at the steak house on Conquest

Here in the Tampa area, if we go to Bern's, Ruth's Criss, Capital Grille, Fleming's or Charley's steakhouse....you would pay somewhere around 40-50 for a steak. At Bern's, it will come with soup and salad, with the others, by itself and everything else is a la carte. The $35, includes, salad, appetizer, entree, dessert and tip.

Sounds like a good deal. We will be trying it next week for the 1st time on the Miracle. I am a Tampa native and like those steak houses and if it's comparable on the ship it will definitely be worth the money.

That is odd. I thought that Medium rare and medium were the recommended ways of cooking steak.

I know DH always orders his steaks MR or Med. so I am sure he ordered one or the other when we ate at the steak house on Conquest

Rare to medium rare for me at home , just not on a cruise ship :eek:

Do they allow you to order a lobster tail and say a steak to go with it? Or is it one or the other?

They have a surf n turf ... and you can order as many appetizers as you want too! :D I couldn't decide between the crab cakes and escargot, so they told me to get both. (I also got a salad and a veg) ... I was FULL and HAPPY!!

I am sailing week of Aug 20 and already made my reservation for the 23rd. (So it is not too early to book for Aug 11!!)

I don't understand why the chef refused to cook it MR. Kind of crazy IMHO. They started giving me a stupid excuse that I don't exactly remember but it was stupid.

It was a 5 spice ribeye I think it was called. It was cooked medium and it was ok. Nothing great and most certainly not aged like they claim. It was no better than a run of the mill steak place like Longhorn.

When I go to a decent steakhouse in the New York area, it costs me over $100 for two, excluding liquor. When I go to an excellent steakhouse, it could be $150.

So I can go on vacation and have a nice, relaxing, steak dinner with my wife, with 2 appetizers if I choose, salad, entree, dessert, and coffee for $70 plus a $15-20 tip for good service to somebody who works a lot harder than I do, who's job it is to make me happy?

No brainer for me.

We requested Med and I'd say we got Well done.

One time we went to a nice steak place and my husbands steak came out cooked so well done he couldn't eat it. He mentioned it to the waiter and they took it back, but they had to start over with a new steak (can't un-cook it, lol) I continued to eat. By the time they came back with his new steak, I was completely done eating. So I had to sit there and watch him eat. They didn't offer anything for the inconvenience, we didn't ask. We just won't ever go back. So many other places to go.

So I guess we have tried the Steak House and we won't probably try it again. No biggie. Still absolutely LOVED our cruise!

The menu states there's an extra charge for additional entrees, but can you order more than 1 appetizer without any extra charge? Has anyone here ever done that?

We have never done it. I beleive you can sub another app for the salad or soup based upon reports from reviews here.

I don't understand why the chef refused to cook it MR. Kind of crazy IMHO. They started giving me a stupid excuse that I don't exactly remember but it was stupid.

It was a 5 spice ribeye I think it was called. It was cooked medium and it was ok. Nothing great and most certainly not aged like they claim. It was no better than a run of the mill steak place like Longhorn.

I have eaten in the steakhouse over 10 times and never been refused ordering med rare.

We have never done it. I beleive you can sub another app for the salad or soup based upon reports from reviews here.

That would be great. I'd much rather have 2 shrimp cocktails in place of the soup and/or salad. Works for me!

Thank you.

I have eaten in the steakhouse over 10 times and never been refused ordering med rare.

I don't doubt it. My one and only experience has been the opposite. If I had a better experience I would probably do the steakhouse again. Heck I am sure it was just a fluke.

If they offered a Porterhouse I would try it again.

I don't doubt it. My one and only experience has been the opposite. If I had a better experience I would probably do the steakhouse again. Heck I am sure it was just a fluke.

If they offered a Porterhouse I would try it again.

I was not doubting you, just stating my experience. Wish they would bring back the porterhouse. The two times I had it, I could not finnish it. One time I actually brought the leftovers back to our room, the wife was like: "now what are you going to do with it?" :eek: I stuffed it in the mini fridge but threw it out in the morning. :confused:

I was not doubting you, just stating my experience. Wish they would bring back the porterhouse. The two times I had it, I could not finnish it. One time I actually brought the leftovers back to our room, the wife was like: "now what are you going to do with it?" :eek: I stuffed it in the mini fridge but threw it out in the morning. :confused:

Take a significant other....one get the NY Strip, the other the Filet...and then share with each other :D

I remember trying it back in 2007 or so..and yes, not only could I not finish it (I believe it was 24oz), I also had to decline dessert.

We have also done the Supper Club, now Steakhouse many, many, times and I ALWAYS used to get the 24 oz. Porterhouse. You could cut that baby with a butter knife. Last time I had it was September 2011 on the Pride. When we cruised the Pride again in December 2011, it was off the menu. I was shocked and disappointed, but I quickly got over it once the NY Strip was served!! :D Farewell my Porterhouse.....

DSC09522.JPG

We have also done the Supper Club, now Steakhouse many, many, times and I ALWAYS used to get the 24 oz. Porterhouse. You could cut that baby with a butter knife. Last time I had it was September 2011 on the Pride. When we cruised the Pride again in December 2011, it was off the menu. I was shocked and disappointed, but I quickly got over it once the NY Strip was served!! :D Farewell my Porterhouse.....

DSC09522.JPG

Try the spice rubbed ribeye! My mouth is watering as I right this!

Archived