"Bon Voyage" bag for first-time cruisers

gmros

Have to say its a very kind thing to do for your friend.

The only idea I didn't see mentioned was a night light. I know a lot of people like to leave the bathroom light on, but if the water is rocky I don't like to door opening & closing. So we use a nightlight instead

That is brilliant!

Thank you -- it was one of those "necessity is the mother of invention things". Taking short cruises, we'd managed OK without a cruise calendar. But, on our first two week cruise, I found myself awash in sticky notes, with scribbled annotations in the margins of our daily bulletin :eek: -- decided that there just had to be a better way to manage our schedule! :cool:

I know that now, lots of folks keep their calendars and schedules on their phones and other electronic devices that they bring with them -- but I'm not that high-tech (lol). ;)

Thank you -- it was one of those "necessity is the mother of invention things". Taking short cruises, we'd managed OK without a cruise calendar. But, on our first two week cruise, I found myself awash in sticky notes, with scribbled annotations in the margins of our daily bulletin :eek: -- decided that there just had to be a better way to manage our schedule! :cool:

I know that now, lots of folks keep their calendars and schedules on their phones and other electronic devices that they bring with them -- but I'm not that high-tech (lol). ;)

That was me in Los Angeles last week, I had printouts & notes with my reservation/confirmation numbers. It was a mess! My dh is a better business traveler than I & he usually uses his phone, but one time he couldn't get a connection at the airport, so he had trouble getting his info.

For cruises I usually have a notebook & a small Manila envelope (5x7or so) with all my info. My dh loves when I'm sifting through that for something.

This time we're in Italy for almost 3 weeks, making our way down to Civitavechia from Venice. So I could put all my conf #s on the calendar along with any phone #s . It would definitely be much easier to carry around!

For cruises I usually have a notebook & a small Manila envelope (5x7or so) with all my info. My dh loves when I'm sifting through that for something.

I hear you! :p My husband always teases me about the "blue folder" (plastic, with built-in dividers), that always accompanies me on our cruises. However, when he needs to find something, like our set-sail pass or hotel confirmation, I can usually produce it in two seconds flat. :cool:

Whoops -- didn't mean to go so far OT -- perhaps we should start a thread along the lines of: Confessions of the uber-organized. ;)

I hear you! :p My husband always teases me about the "blue folder" (plastic, with built-in dividers), that always accompanies me on our cruises. However, when he needs to find something, like our set-sail pass or hotel confirmation, I can usually produce it in two seconds flat. :cool:

Whoops -- didn't mean to go so far OT -- perhaps we should start a thread along the lines of: Confessions of the uber-organized. ;)

I have a 2 inch binder with dividers; one for each port of call we are visiting, pre- cruise info; flights and hotels...

BTW; I just planned my business partner honeymoon, and I made a binder (1 inch) for him and his bride, with all his cruise information. I also included a plastic pencil case with a sharpie, highlighters and post it notes. :):) I even included a couple of Celebrity's dailies for some of the cities they are visiting. I did a day by day schedule and even suggested when to go to the specialty restaurants.

I have a 2 inch binder with dividers; one for each port of call we are visiting, pre- cruise info; flights and hotels...

BTW; I just planned my business partner honeymoon, and I made a binder (1 inch) for him and his bride, with all his cruise information. I also included a plastic pencil case with a sharpie, highlighters and post it notes. :):) I even included a couple of Celebrity's dailies for some of the cities they are visiting. I did a day by day schedule and even suggested when to go to the specialty restaurants.

I stand in awe... :D

You guys are all so cool to put in this sort of time and effort to help your friends have a great first cruise! :cool:

Thank you so much for the great ideas!

Thumb_Cruise%20Special.JPG

:D

lol!

Wow! Your friends are very lucky!

I try to be organized too, but with my own trips. Everything is on spreadsheets and confirmations are PDFs so they're all accessible on my phone and tablet. I don't think I can do it with my friends, I don't know their exact trip details.

Thank you so much for the great ideas!

lol!

Wow! Your friends are very lucky!

I try to be organized too, but with my own trips. Everything is on spreadsheets and confirmations are PDFs so they're all accessible on my phone and tablet. I don't think I can do it with my friends, I don't know their exact trip details.

I booked everything for him! I chose the cruise, booked their flights, got them a "friends & family" rate for their pre-cruise stay in Barcelona & chose their tours. Did I say that I had to do everything less than two months before the wedding? Well, having his credit card made things easier:D:D I'm also working more days at the office while he is away:rolleyes::rolleyes:

My dh is a better business traveler than I & he usually uses his phone, but one time he couldn't get a connection at the airport, so he had trouble getting his info.

I use my phone too :). I have all my confirmations, etc in PDF format and saved on Evernote. Spreadsheets (budget and itinerary) are on Google Drive. Both apps allow you to access the files offline, just make sure to download/open them while you still have internet connection. Both apps also have OCR which allows you to search the contents of your files, but only when you're online tho.

I booked everything for him! I chose the cruise, booked their flights, got them a "friends & family" rate for their pre-cruise stay in Barcelona & chose their tours. Did I say that I had to do everything less than two months before the wedding? Well, having his credit card made things easier:D:D I'm also working more days at the office while he is away:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ahhh. You're such a great friend for doing all these for him and his wife in such a short period of time. However, I'm sensing that you enjoyed planning it too :p

Ahhh. You're such a great friend for doing all these for him and his wife in such a short period of time. However, I'm sensing that you enjoyed planning it too :p

I enjoy the planning :):) having to work extra days, not so much!! ;)

From the dollar store - an over the door hanger with multiple hooks. Great for wet bathing suits, work-out clothes, towels, hand wash drying.

Also advise your friends - other than the digital panel on the phone or the TV there is no clock in the room. I always bring an inexpensive alarm clock with digital lite display.

I use my phone too :). I have all my confirmations, etc in PDF format and saved on Evernote. Spreadsheets (budget and itinerary) are on Google Drive. Both apps allow you to access the files offline, just make sure to download/open them while you still have internet connection. Both apps also have OCR which allows you to search the contents of your files, but only when you're online tho.

Omg I LOVE Evernote.

I never thought of that one either. I currently have a notebook with all my cruise plans. I could print out the chart I have instead of printing out a calendar.

I love you guys for all these ideas.

Archived