Helmet Diving?

qvenedandan

Good morning all,

I would like to find out if anyone did the helmet diving recently in Bermuda (either through NCL excursion or directly booking)? I notice that there is only one company doing such activity now, and the price difference is minimal.

My concern is about the possibility of claustrophobia :eek: for my family members, and wasting money on the activity. They have watched the recent season of The Amazing Racing and known of the helmet diving. Am I running the risk of paying $90+ per person and find out that they can't get into the helmet that day?

Also, how long do we need to wait on the boat for other groups taking their turns of diving?

Your insights are highly appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,

Mandy

(102 more days for our next cruise, yay!)

We did this a year ago and loved every minute. they bring you down in groups of six and your wait time isn't too bad. You are not rushed at all - he takes time to show you the fish (has a flip book with pictures of the fish so you know you are seeing while you are walking on the bottom of the ocean - walking on the ocean bottom I mean how cool is that ???!!! He poses you with the fish and takes many, many photos of your adventure.

We bought the CD with all of the photos taken. I have never seen a smile so big as the one I have in these pictures.

The helmet is really not that claustrophobic, I mean you know you have it on, but once you realize how cool it is to be down there with the fish, the happy feelings just erase any anxiety.

We did this a year ago and loved every minute. they bring you down in groups of six and your wait time isn't too bad. You are not rushed at all - he takes time to show you the fish (has a flip book with pictures of the fish so you know you are seeing while you are walking on the bottom of the ocean - walking on the ocean bottom I mean how cool is that ???!!! He poses you with the fish and takes many, many photos of your adventure.

We bought the CD with all of the photos taken. I have never seen a smile so big as the one I have in these pictures.

The helmet is really not that claustrophobic, I mean you know you have it on, but once you realize how cool it is to be down there with the fish, the happy feelings just erase any anxiety.

Thanks a lot for sharing, brucelegs!

I may probably book this activity on my own, for some reason I don't see such excursion available on NCL booking system.

Time to show my family the Amazing Race episode to get time excited on the helmet diving... ;)

Thanks a lot for sharing, brucelegs!

I may probably book this activity on my own, for some reason I don't see such excursion available on NCL booking system.

Time to show my family the Amazing Race episode to get time excited on the helmet diving... ;)

Forget that, show them the real thing.;)

http://www.hartleybermuda.com/

There's even a video.:)

http://www.hartleybermuda.com/video/Hartley%20bermuda2005-3.html

Greg Hartley's son used to be a regular poster here but when he went away to college, he disappeared.:(

Forget that, show them the real thing.;)

http://www.hartleybermuda.com/

There's even a video.:)

http://www.hartleybermuda.com/video/Hartley%20bermuda2005-3.html

Greg Hartley's son used to be a regular poster here but when he went away to college, he disappeared.:(

Thank you so much for the links! So are we just standing and holding the rail for the whole time? Or we can "walk" around a little bit?

Thank you so much for the links! So are we just standing and holding the rail for the whole time? Or we can "walk" around a little bit?

I was just on the Helmet Dive on Wednesday and it was an incredible experience. You do have to hold onto the white rope the entire time so you don't float off and get seperated from the group. You can hold on with one hand and turn around to look at your surroundings but don't let go of the rope.

Would like to hear from those that were there this past week. How is the temp? Is the water very cold?

Thanks

GG

The water temp was 72 degrees last week. It was a bit chilly but you adjusted to the water. On the helmet dive you have to wear a wet suit if the water temp is below 80 degrees.

Thank you for sharing! Looking forward to our cruise in September (guess no wet suit by then?).

Probably not? I don't really know what the water is like then.

I posted a video and some pictures of the helmet dive. Below is the link, be sure to check out the next page (Page 8) for the video.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1851890&page=7

About the helmet diving...NCL had it on their list of excursions, but removed it. I called & they couldn't give me a reason. We thought about doing it (and were excited about it!) after reading some of the reviews and looking at the website. I was concerned after reading some very negative reviews on TripAdvisor and learning that a woman died following a helmet dive (other health issues?). I e-mailed Greg Hartley for info and spoke with him on the phone. Even after telling him we were no longer interested, he continued to e-mail and call. I'm sure it's an amazing experience, but we had decided it wasn't for us and our 18 y.o. daughter, given the price and some of the concerns/issues brought up in the reviews...Just food for thought.

About the helmet diving...NCL had it on their list of excursions, but removed it. I called & they couldn't give me a reason. We thought about doing it (and were excited about it!) after reading some of the reviews and looking at the website. I was concerned after reading some very negative reviews on TripAdvisor and learning that a woman died following a helmet dive (other health issues?). I e-mailed Greg Hartley for info and spoke with him on the phone. Even after telling him we were no longer interested, he continued to e-mail and call. I'm sure it's an amazing experience, but we had decided it wasn't for us and our 18 y.o. daughter, given the price and some of the concerns/issues brought up in the reviews...Just food for thought.

Hartley's is no longer an excursion on any cruise line, I'm not sure why either. He brought it up but none of us asked why.

I didn't read any negative reviews, but I didn't really dig far on Tripadvisor. I believe the woman who died had other issues that were the cause. I read that somewhere, it might have been on here or some news article I found.

What were the concerns/issues? I'm just curious since I was just on the dive and thought it was really fun.

Slice--we were really disappointed when reading some of the negatives/concerns since we really wanted to do it--but we decided it wasn't a risk we wanted to take. From what I read, things can be very inconsistent with long waits, poor service etc. I could deal with all of that, but I had read several reviews that mentioned very inappropriate comments being made to people and sometimes a climate of hostility and instability were evident. I'm really uncomfortable responding to this since I have NO experience with this excursion, just with the e-mails and calls. I don't want to tarnish anyone's reputation without just cause or personal experience. As always, I would recommend anyone thinking about any excursion (expensive or not) exercise due diligence and investigate it--especially if it is not associated with the ship.

Slice--we were really disappointed when reading some of the negatives/concerns since we really wanted to do it--but we decided it wasn't a risk we wanted to take. From what I read, things can be very inconsistent with long waits, poor service etc. I could deal with all of that, but I had read several reviews that mentioned very inappropriate comments being made to people and sometimes a climate of hostility and instability were evident. I'm really uncomfortable responding to this since I have NO experience with this excursion, just with the e-mails and calls. I don't want to tarnish anyone's reputation without just cause or personal experience. As always, I would recommend anyone thinking about any excursion (expensive or not) exercise due diligence and investigate it--especially if it is not associated with the ship.

Gotcha, I'll have to hunt around trip advisor to see what said.

I will admit I think Greg is a bit scattered brained, a lot of different thought processes going on all at once. I think it would have been helpful if he had gone over some hand signals before going down.

My experience was also a bit different because we were the only dive of the day and it was a group of 6. We didn't have to wait for anyone which was really great! I could see where a large group of people could have conflicts.

Hartley's is no longer an excursion on any cruise line, I'm not sure why either. He brought it up but none of us asked why.

I didn't read any negative reviews, but I didn't really dig far on Tripadvisor. I believe the woman who died had other issues that were the cause. I read that somewhere, it might have been on here or some news article I found.

What were the concerns/issues? I'm just curious since I was just on the dive and thought it was really fun.

I believe the woman who died was on a Royal ship and they tried deflecting the blame to him; unfairly I might add.

• 1 month later...

Sadly the woman's time was up whether she was going to be on a bus or a boat. She was older and overweight and unfortunately her heart was overstressed.

The "shore excursions" dropped Greg as they now required International liability insurance and Greg only carried Bermuda insurance. When he approached the major ins companies for the broader coverage, he had a hard time trying to explain his business model as there is nothing for them to compare with to quote fair and reasonable rates. It had nothing to do with the poor woman. He is now independent of the cruise ships. I have booked a dive in September and I can't wait!

• 3 weeks later...
Probably not? I don't really know what the water is like then.

I posted a video and some pictures of the helmet dive. Below is the link, be sure to check out the next page (Page 8) for the video.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1851890&page=7

Thank YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to post so many wonderful photos!!!

I went to check out your helmet dive and ohhhh ahhhh, the food pics are killin me! :D Your Breakaway photos are the BEST, I can not wait to board the Breakaway in a few weeks.

Archived