Ok cruise question

Ok Cruise geniuses,

I would like to know why the tax/fees does not change when the price drops on your cruise?

our cabin was $499 per person + $124.74 per person tax/fees X 2 = $1247.48

our cabin now is 469 per person + 124.74 per person tax/fees x 2 = $1187.48

Why does the tax/fee not change?

Ok Cruise geniuses,

I would like to know why the tax/fees does not change when the price drops on your cruise?

The Tax/fee is not a percentage of the cost of the cabin. The Taxes/fees are the same no matter what the cabin cost is. For example the Taxes/Fees are the same whether you book an inside, outside, balcony or suite category.

The add on taxes and fees are per person, and the same if you book a suite or a inside.

I think you are thinking like sales tax that is a percentage.

the port fees are embedded in your cruise fare.. and the taxes on them do not change unless the port changes them.. they are a head tax.

The Tax/fee is not a percentage of the cost of the cabin. The Taxes/fees are the same no matter what the cabin cost is. For example the Taxes/Fees are the same whether you book an inside, outside, balcony or suite category.

Then why dose the taxes & fees go up when the price goes Dn on ealy saver

SO IF YOU MISS A PORT OF CALL FOR ANY REASON YOU SHOULD GET A REFUND FOR THAT PORT!!!:rolleyes:

You used to get $25 per port. Now you get the TAXES back on the port fees, which is about $10, some more, some less. You do not get back the port fees. I agree with you..that we should get more than about $10 pp.. but thats Carnival's current policy.

RCL has no policy, or didnt when we missed a port, coco cay and got back zero.

Then why dose the taxes & fees go up when the price goes Dn on ealy saver

they dont always go up. Fees and taxes go up and down.. they are not price protected. if they are less when you board the ship you will see a small pp OBC. I have gotten this small OBC several times lately.

It almost seems like Carnival has begun putting the amount higher lately, and then giving back OBC if its over more often than they used to.

Makes sense since it's RCL's island, they don't need to charge a government tax. I'd be curious to compare it to missing HMC and whether anything was credited back.

Makes sense since it's RCL's island, they don't need to charge a government tax. I'd be curious to compare it to missing HMC and whether anything was credited back.

It makes me also wonder about the policy or lack thereof.. lets say your cruise goes to both Freeport and nassau or a private island .. the same port charge, since its bahamas I think.

Me and another guy who used to post here more, both tried to get Carnival to tell us the break down on port fees, per port.. and they will not tell us... or TAs. TAs know the lump sum of NCFs included in the cruisefare (they dont get paid commission on this which is mostly port fees) .. but they too dont get the break down per port.

we have actually tried to find out this amount, but failed.

The add on taxes and fees are per person, and the same if you book a suite or a inside.

I think you are thinking like sales tax that is a percentage.

the port fees are embedded in your cruise fare.. and the taxes on them do not change unless the port changes them.. they are a head tax.

Ok smarty pants,

So why did the tax/fee thingy change on this cruise

When we booked last year it was a balcony and the fee was 228.54 for the 2 of us,

in May this year we changed to an inside instead, and the tax went up to 247.74 for the 2 of us.

Ok smarty pants,

So why did the tax/fee thingy change on this cruise

When we booked last year it was a balcony and the fee was 228.54 for the 2 of us,

in May this year we changed to an inside instead, and the tax went up to 247.74 for the 2 of us.

I just noticed that you said you booked a balcony last time and a inside this time. So, Im thinking you still dont understand what several people said above. Its a per head tax, its nothing to do with the amount or the type of cabin. A suite and a inside pays the exact same amount of add on taxes and fees. its nothing to do with the type of cabin you booked or how much it costs.

I think you are still thinking it has something to do with the price.. or you would not mention that you booked a balcony or a inside, as that has nothing to do with how much per head is charged.

The add on taxes and fees are not price protected. The ports themselves change the amounts. What they negotiated a year ago changed?

I dont know why they would go up .. and then it seems like lately Carnival has been overcharging .. so then you would see some small litle OBC on your onboard account.

Ever notice a OBC for some odd amount like $4.57? or $8.64... thats because the add on taxes and fees at the moment you stepped on the ship had gone down.. so Carnival gives you back the difference if they overcharged for the taxes and fees as a small per person onboard credit.

Why taxes and fees fluctuate .. I will never know.. but they do. Carnival wouldnt tell anyone much more. Ive gotten a small OBC the last few cruises.. look for a small OBC on your onboard account.. people have been seeing them a lot lately. Its the fluctuation in the add on taxes and fees.

It makes me also wonder about the policy or lack thereof.. lets say your cruise goes to both Freeport and nassau or a private island .. the same port charge, since its bahamas I think.

I don't think the fees would necessarily be the same. I used to work in the maritime shipping industry, and fees could vary widely between ports within the same country. You won't get the same port fees in NY as you would in Miami or New Orleans.

I wonder if for a cruise ship the fees would change based on the number of passengers on board. I'm sure it will remain a mystery.

You used to get $25 per port. Now you get the TAXES back on the port fees, which is about $10, some more, some less. You do not get back the port fees. I agree with you..that we should get more than about $10 pp.. but thats Carnival's current policy.

they dont always go up. Fees and taxes go up and down.. they are not price protected. if they are less when you board the ship you will see a small pp OBC. I have gotten this small OBC several times lately.

It almost seems like Carnival has begun putting the amount higher lately, and then giving back OBC if its over more often than they used to.

When we missed grand cayman on the freedom we got back somewhere around $12.50 per person.

Ok Cruise geniuses,

This answer has been deleted. I misread the question.

SO IF YOU MISS A PORT OF CALL FOR ANY REASON YOU SHOULD GET A REFUND FOR THAT PORT!!!:rolleyes:

Yes, and I have gotten several... but why are you shouting?

Often, I get a small OBC at the start of a cruise when the port taxes have changed after final payoff. ...and if you watch closely while you're paying for the cruise, you'll occasionally see those small changes show up in our total.

When we missed grand cayman on the freedom we got back somewhere around $12.50 per person.

I posted on the what if I miss a port thread we got back $9ish for missing Jamaica and $13ish for missing Caymans.

Thats why I said around $10 in port TAXES is given back. I was just giving a estimate, not a exact figure for every port.

If you miss a port Carnival's policy now is to give you back the TAXES on the port fees (not the port fees) .. I tried to find this in FAQs today.. but only got to a blank page. My PVP says the legal mumbo jumbo says you get back the taxes on the port fees, and thats kind of how it reads, if you read it real closely.

I liked it better when Carnival used to give us back $25 pp per port.. about half of what the port fees are.

Fees and taxes are based on individual ports and can change. For example, each port has a "per head fee" plus they might have a port tax based the ship, which would be split between all the passengers. Ports are built by the fees generated by the ships. In an ideal situration, the cruise port on a small island is completely supported and paid for the the cruise industry. These fees are not set by the cruise lines, and often times estimated.

Some people mentioned private islands. Those are either leased, or owned and managed by the cruise line. They are different than a port that is operated by the local government agency.

Others have asked for a breakdown of the fees. It is quite possible, that based on bookings, the cruise line might collect different fees for different people at different times, and maybe the agreements might be that they pay based on that.

Some fees are as low as $2.75 per head, and some locations are as high as $125.00 per head.

The important thing is that if you don't change your booking, than they never come back to collect more money. Pretty much the same with booking say an airline. Fees change, but if you buy your ticket, it stays the same since it based on the day you paid for it.

Archived