Kayak excursion in Juneau?

aloisia

We just booked this cruise & are trying to organize some excursions. Seems a number of recommended whale watching tours are full.

Has anyone taken the Tongass Coast Kayak in Juneau? It maybe a very nice opinion.

If I find a whale watching tour, then some of the group will go kayaking in Ketchikan instead.

Any thoughts please?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so this trip was great, and we certainly got our money's worth, but it is not your grandma's leisurely paddle. Seriously, we paddled 8 miles in the ocean and ended up in Auke Bay close enough to whales that we could hear them breathe. The weather was gorgeous and the water was fairly calm except for wakes from the bigger whale watching boats. It would have been a lot harder if the wind or waves had been worse.

We had a guide and just anther twosome with us so that was nice. We didn't have to struggle to hear the guide. I will post some pictures later.

Anyway, I would do this trip again, but by the end I was really exhausted. This trip is much harder and longer than the one in Ketchikan around Tatoosh Island. Great if you like to kayak.

Was it with this company: http://www.beyondak.com/daytrips.html because they also offer a kayak/whale watch combo that sounds amazing but would seem to reduce the amount of kayaking time - so maybe not as exhausting? A few other kayak options, including self-guided, are offered too.

I have spoken to this company about an upcoming cruise and was seriously considering it as it really looks amazing AND they were super nice and responsive to emails. A variety of reasons (none of them about the company itself) had us make a different choice but it looks like you'd be very happy with them. TripAdvisor has great reviews too!

Good luck - I'd love to hear a review of whatever you decide on!

Archived