Cruising & The Dollar Store - Please share

The dollar store is a great place to get the small plastic travel size bottles to bring your shampoo,conditioner,lotion etc. instead of bringing the full size bottles.

Be careful with this tip, though...I forgot and left my eyebrow tweezers in my makeup case in my carry-on luggage, so of course they pulled me aside and went through my entire carry-on. I had small bottles of lotion, shampoo, conditioner, etc. in unmarked small plastic, they took them and threw them away because they were unmarked and could contain something "other" than what I said was in them. Frustrating!

Amanda

I've got to ask - why won't you use a clothespin again? I've not had a problem using clothespins - did I miss something?

Tanker

The chip clips I brought were heavy, and held the shower curtain down and away from you...

Amanda

What a great list!! My cruise is in January and I will be frequenting my local dollar store between now and then to stock pile some of the items mentioned. I loved the suction cup idea. I would have never thought of that!! Great tip!!

:D

Someone mentioned that they got a beach safe at the dollar store. I can't find one at the dollar store or anywhere else for that matter.

I can't figure out what we'll do the day we are in Labadee. We plan to spend the day at the beach and waterpark. I know we'll need to take at least our seapass cards and a few dollars? What do people do with their seapass card and money? I was really hoping to find one of those beach safes.

Can anybody tell me where I can find a beach safe or give me another idea? Thanks for your help.

Jill

We got our "water wallet" in the camping section of sport mart. It hangs aroung the neck and has enough room for pass and money. Try any sports store in the camping and backpack sections. Hope this helps.

They have battery operated "candles" for use in your stateroom, playing cards, chapstick, door decorations, thank you cards, candy and gum, stick on jewels, light up jewelry, bubbles shaped like champagne bottles, and many other fun things at the dollar store. Love to stock stuff away for my next trip.

Got some fun party favor type things at Halloween to give away to street urchins!

Also, don't forget those little packets of Shout stain remover. They are a lifesaver, if you spill something on a garment, and you don't have time to do laundry. I also brought along Post It notes to leave notes for the cabin steward.

I'm going to do a little 'goodie bag' for our room attendant this time. Just a few essentials in a gift bag: candy bars, calling cards, and things they will really use. I think it's a nice thank you in addition to the tip. :)

Many of the things I mentioned above were actually for goodie bags for the waiters, room stewards and so on. (Yes, I tip the fully too.) If it's close to Christmas, I give them a Christmas stocking, or if it's spring an Easter basket, or I've found gift bags shaped like Hawaiian shirts. Fun, and I have had some very warm thanks, including tears and hugs.

One room steward thanked me for "bringing back the happiest moment of her childhood" which "brought her so much joy" (with a Christmas stocking). And all that for some things from the dollar store!

Went to the dollar store the other day and got an umbrella but didn't find what I was really looking for....a little clutch purse. I don't carry a purse very often and the ones I have are just too big to lug around the ship with just a seapass card and a little digital camera! :)

Then I went to Target and found something perfect in their dollar bins.... a little black satin clutch, which also has a long strap too which can be tucked inside. I was pretty happy to find it.

Gail

(testing out my new cheapie underwater digital camera to take the pics.......it ain't the best camera I've ever seen but I think it'll do the job.)

minipurse.jpg.2c992dfa83ea1fe397e2f4c6b3ccb5ee.jpg

Someone mentioned that they got a beach safe at the dollar store. I can't find one at the dollar store or anywhere else for that matter.

I can't figure out what we'll do the day we are in Labadee. We plan to spend the day at the beach and waterpark. I know we'll need to take at least our seapass cards and a few dollars? What do people do with their seapass card and money? I was really hoping to find one of those beach safes.

Can anybody tell me where I can find a beach safe or give me another idea? Thanks for your help.

Jill

Re Labadee- We just paid one of the crew (they hang around the beach area-policing?) to watch our pile of stuff- bags etc. when we took a walk. We locked up our wallets and cameras when we did the waverunners. We will have to think of something else on this next trip as it won't be crew on the beach.:cool:

Thanks for this thread. I am heading to the Dollar Tree which I think is the same as the Dollar Store.

Just bought a bunch of water bottle holders from Dollar Tree - a red or black strap attached to a small rubber ring which slips over the top of your own bottle of water (which we bring from home and refill each day). These work so great, I bought 8 of them (kids lose things so easily:rolleyes: ). Also bought stiff mailing envelopes to put pics we bought during the cruise - no more wrinkled memories. Gotta love Dollar Tree!

Jill

At Wal-Mart in the sporting goods section they carry a "Fishing License Holder" that is heavy-duty plastic with a zip lock closure on a lanyard that is just the right size for your sea pass card & is only 99 cents.

There isn't much to do in Labadee, except lay out on the beach and enjoy the BBQ. There are a few watersports--you can rent jet skis, do a banana boat ride, and go parasailing and snorkeling. But otherwise it's a private island for exploring and enjoyment. Anything in that respect that costs money is put on your Seapass--including any beverages purchased on the island.

If you take any cash at all it would be for the bazaar they have. Local artisans and craftsmen bring their wares for sale. But beware: once you buy something or pretend interest--they will flock to you with the hard-sell. Think Mexico!

My favorite thing to do in Labadee is head to the beach in the morning and then back to the boat. After a shower I head up to the Crown and Anchor lounge (or whatever the highest point on the ship is) and get a bird's eye view of the island while sipping a nice tall boat drink! Enjoy! :)

Sounds awesome!

• 1 month later...

Archived