Cruising & The Dollar Store - Please share

We tend to like the tips and tricks threads, they get us in the cruise prep mode. Since our next adventure is now 53 weeks away :( , we have plenty of time to plan.

We have found our local Dollar Stores a great place to buy cruise stuff. Below are some of the things we have found there (For only $1.00!!!). Please feel free to add to the list.

Umbrellas - the short folding kind, easy to pack, get 2 or 3, if you lose them - no big deal

Rain Ponchos - get a 2 pack for a buck. great for those rainy port days, especially if you already lost your umbrellas

Duck (Duct?) tape - no explanation necessary

Over the door shoe holder - took 2, never used them, but we were prepared

Post it notes - an off-brand, but they work and were used a lot

Air fresheners - the solid kind, one per cabin, leave in the cabin at the end of the cruise, the cabin attendants use them. put an extra one in the closet to keep clothes fresh

Air freshner - the spray kind, small rooms, lots of food, 'nuff said

Flashlights - especially for inside cabins in case nature calls during the night, you don't have to turn on the lights & wake spouse

Extension cords - the 6-9 foot kind with multiple plug-ins, there are never enough outlets in the right place

Clothes pins - for hanging swimsuits and wet clothes on the line in the shower

Zip lock bags- always take a box of small ones and a box of large ones, use for sunscreen, small items, the rocks & shells that DS picks up, packing wet stuff at end of cruise, the uses are unlimited!

Pop up laudry hamper - put them in the kid's rooms, they actually used them! made packing easier

Luggage straps - the 72" colorful ones that go around your case, found these at the Dollar Tree and bought about 6 of them. Put them on the luggage the last night and we found our luggage in about 2 minutes the next morning. They cost about $8-10 elsewhere.

I pick up a package of Thank You note cards at the Dollar store. I also get a package of generic party invitations in case we decide to have a party in our cabin..ya never know when you will get upgraded to the Royal Suite!

We used our pop up hamper on the last cruise and it was the best $1 I ever spent. It stays in the suitcase now.

At the dollar store we bought:

- insulated mugs

- "Canada" pins

- A circular rack with cloths pins that hung in the shower to dry bathing suits

- playing cards

- a beach safe to go around our necks to keep our money dry while we swam

- zippered garment bags for our formal clothes

- lanyards for our ship ID card

That's about all I can think of (in addition to what's already been mentioned)

I pick up a package of Thank You note cards at the Dollar store. I also get a package of generic party invitations in case we decide to have a party in our cabin..ya never know when you will get upgraded to the Royal Suite!

Sally,

I really hope you get that upgrade to the Royal Suite...especially since we're both taking the same 14 day cruise to Hawaii next year. Don't forget my invitation! ;)

The question is, what DIDN'T I buy at the dollar store for our cruise??!:D In addition to most of the above already mentioned items, I bought hand soap for the bathroom (much prefer that to washing hands with a bar of soap), first aid items, anti-diarrhea medicine (didn't need it, thankfully), ibuprofen, lotion, lipstick (when I find a name brand & color there that I really like, I'll buy 5 or so), highlighters, journal, small pic frame for pic of my family (I cruised with mom and sis), stiff envelope for bought pictures, deorderant, pillbox (for earrings), hair gel, fake Sudafed, Q-tips, hand sanitizer, bath pillow (we had a JS), hangers, chip clips (for that pesky shower curtain!), garbage bags (dirty laundry), etc. Cannot believe how much stuff you can buy and really get use out of at the dollar store!!

Amanda:)

One other thing we got were the non-firework type party poppers (spring loaded) to use at sail away. They came in packs of 3 for $1. We gave them out to the young crowd to use and started to pick up the confetti afterwards (do not shoot overboard). The pool attendant came by and made us stop cleaning up - he said he would do it. We felt kind of bad, but he insisted it was no problem.

We like the suction cup holder idea, the small counter in the lavatory is always crowded.

• 4 months later...
chip clips (for that pesky shower curtain!),

Amanda:)

ROFL!! I'd been thinking of using a chip clip for that, since heaven knows I'd never use a clothespin again! I have a couple small ones with magnets that I'll take, they may have other uses too. Might stop at the dollar store tomorrow for another umbrella and a nightlight, also good for big bottles of aspirin.

I get some good stuff there.

Gail

I'd been thinking of using a chip clip for that, since heaven knows I'd never use a clothespin again!

I've got to ask - why won't you use a clothespin again? I've not had a problem using clothespins - did I miss something?

Tanker

What a great idea, we leave for our cruise in 12 long long days and just informed my wife about the felt backed table cloths, she thinks thats a Great Idea, shake off and throw away, smashing thought, opens up some room in the bags for my wifes shopping spree's.. Thanks for that thought.

Someone mentioned that they got a beach safe at the dollar store. I can't find one at the dollar store or anywhere else for that matter.

I can't figure out what we'll do the day we are in Labadee. We plan to spend the day at the beach and waterpark. I know we'll need to take at least our seapass cards and a few dollars? What do people do with their seapass card and money? I was really hoping to find one of those beach safes.

Can anybody tell me where I can find a beach safe or give me another idea? Thanks for your help.

Jill

Someone mentioned that they got a beach safe at the dollar store. I can't find one at the dollar store or anywhere else for that matter.

I can't figure out what we'll do the day we are in Labadee. We plan to spend the day at the beach and waterpark. I know we'll need to take at least our seapass cards and a few dollars? What do people do with their seapass card and money? I was really hoping to find one of those beach safes.

Can anybody tell me where I can find a beach safe or give me another idea? Thanks for your help.

Jill

The cruise critic store sells them and so does RCI

http://www.cruisecritic.com/store/index.cfm

http://www.shopgiftsandgear.com/prod_category.asp?cat=6&str=1

Jill

WalMart often has them. Near the watch/jewelry countery.

I can't figure out what we'll do the day we are in Labadee. We plan to spend the day at the beach and waterpark. I know we'll need to take at least our seapass cards and a few dollars? What do people do with their seapass card and money?

There isn't much to do in Labadee, except lay out on the beach and enjoy the BBQ. There are a few watersports--you can rent jet skis, do a banana boat ride, and go parasailing and snorkeling. But otherwise it's a private island for exploring and enjoyment. Anything in that respect that costs money is put on your Seapass--including any beverages purchased on the island.

If you take any cash at all it would be for the bazaar they have. Local artisans and craftsmen bring their wares for sale. But beware: once you buy something or pretend interest--they will flock to you with the hard-sell. Think Mexico!

My favorite thing to do in Labadee is head to the beach in the morning and then back to the boat. After a shower I head up to the Crown and Anchor lounge (or whatever the highest point on the ship is) and get a bird's eye view of the island while sipping a nice tall boat drink! Enjoy! :)

Jill0526~I bought aquapac's. They are waterproof wallet/pouch type thing. Go to a search engine and type in waterproof wallet. There are a lot of them. The one we bought can go around your waist or hang around neck. I bought a little more expensive one to be sure nothing got wet.

We are going on our first cruise 11-26-05, Serenade of the Sea, out of San Juan. Very port intensive and we like the water so hopefully will get our money's worth.

Good luck and happy cruising..

susan

Archived